Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

If those categories of goods are accurate , then you are absolutely correct.

The "Irish sea border" remains largely intact with fair and reasonable allowances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

So the Sea Border effectively continues, and the Stormont Brake needs so many levels of consensus that it's near impossible to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

The UK has agreed to a border down the Irish Sea, something they said they would never do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The reason why the EU appear to be giving up more is that the EU already got everything it wanted. All the items it wanted dealt with at the start of the process have been secured and each subsequent amendment, including this new agreement, is on the basis on baking in those wins while given away those items that they really don't worry about.

The Stormont Break? The EU has gone from the NIP being ditched in the UK parliament and no assembly to getting the NIP implemented in practice, forcing DUP back in the assembly and making any future issues with the protocol the problem for the UK parliament.

Do the EU even need to give these concessions? I would say no, they could have simply refused to even talk. But they are looking at the long term. It in their (EU's) interests to have the UK come back towards the EU, and this is big step in that direction without much loss to the EU.

And of course, the big irony is that the very people that are claiming that this is such a massive win for the UK, are the same people that said that Johnson got a great deal and the EU had been shown up by Frost. It wasn't true then, it isn't true now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Data was a huge concession.

Once that was agreed and trust was restored the 'adults' sent from the UK were able to get more.

Allowing EU rules to remain, and border infrastructure to be built is also a concession. The SM is safe and has the mechanisms needed to protect it if somebody tries it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Sunak also doing this today with alacrity and enthusiasm.

Do they even hear themselves?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Just on the "Stormont Break" , if my maths is correct the Unionists currently have 37 votes (25 DUP , 9 UUP , 1 TUV and 2 "others").

It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that they lose some if not all of that 7 vote buffer come the May Elections.

I expect that there will be some deck-chair shuffling between the parties with the DUP potentially losing seats to the TUV and the UUP , but hard to see where they increase the Unionist share.

Getting to 30 might become even more difficult for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

I remember reading a book about Ireland in the 1970s and was struck by the amount of political energy that was consumed in Ireland by the North. I'd have a similar belief about Brexit in term's of the UK's political energy.

But maybe it was necessary as a final act in the End of Empire, for the slow learners who didn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

But the 30 just puts it to Stormont who then decide to put it to Westminster.

And this unquantifiable "major issues only" that I would be very sceptical of if I was a unionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

An amusing shutdown on the black widow of Brexit.

• Advertisement

Oh no question , it's an almost impossible task for them to actually achieve anything with it , there are just so many barriers to overcome

• Get to 30 votes
    • Get a Majority in Stormont
    • Get UK Government Support
    • Get Support from Independent Arbitration.

The chance of the EU introducing something that would be so egregious and damaging that it would meet the criteria to pass each of those checkpoints is infinitesimally small.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

The DUP would have to be in Stormont to start with even before getting to step one of your list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I'd imagine it's the WTO or some sub-committee thereof.

The ECJ comes into it as well depending on the specifics of the law

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The chance of the EU introducing something that would be so egregious and damaging that it would meet the criteria to pass each of those checkpoints is infinitesimally small.

This is one of the most important points in all this - the issue all this is attempting to solve is unlikely to ever exist. Most likely Britain will simply stay aligned to EU rules and mirror any changes. I think that will be pretty much guaranteed under a Labour government (which is likely to be the case for the foreseeable).

Several prominent members of the UK government have said how beneficial remaining in the CU will be for them, why do they not also want those benefits for Britain too? Clearly pulling further from EU standards is only going to cause more problems for the UK. They are going to do that, even if they wanted to, the Tories don't have the work ethic to have new standards produced and then enforce them (and even if they had the work ethic, they wont have the resources, particularly human).

Obviously the real issue for Unionists is there being a Nationalist FM. The deal would have to be absolutely amazing for it to be worth them accepting that, and it is far from that. I think Sunak pushes ahead regardless of what the DUP say, he has to or he is toast. The UK press will probably row in behind him and also ignore the DUP, they again have to or there will be a Labour government very soon (his mother probably wouldn't but I could see Charlie getting directly involved and pulling the plug if the Tories try to impose a 4th PM in a year).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The system just couldn't handle the rise of right wing populists who had no respect for Parliament or political institutions. Cameron was insane to hold that advisory referendum - it allowed them to take over the country and set it back years, perhaps even decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭yagan

I really don't get this sudden concern for the DUP from Tories who backed Johnson in the last election specifically to circumvent the DUP veto that hamstrung May. It's just posturing of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I wonder if the public will join the dots. Starmer is busted because he only recently stated getting back into the SM is not something he is interested in

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Britain want a trade deal with the US (and a good reality the EU). In a few weeks we'll see the 25th anniversary of the GFA which probably will see Joe Biden come to Ireland. If the DUP were still stamping their feet about a trade deal that they dislike (despite them creating the background for it) this would not help US-UK negotiations. Sunak has done all he can to make sure that the GFA anniversary doesn't embarrass the UK internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not sure how Sunak the PM saying it as a selling point in NI, should somehow reflect on Starmer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The joke is on the Brexiteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

A phrase containing the words lunatics and asylum springs to mind.

There will be next to zero opposition from brexiteer MPs to this deal. Why? Because all their jobs are most likely gone come the next election, so any 'victory' they can now claim about getting Brexit done is their last hope. When the conservatives had a swinging majority they could indulge in in-party fighting to gain the top jobs for themselves. When faced with unemployment they will huddle around any 'success', this new deal is no different to the last.

If there was any further evidence required that politicians only real concern is to get re-elected this is sure-fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I get the idea Labour will not talk about rejoin or the single market or customs union. They will, if they get in power, use the review of the trade agreement to get an agreement so close to those without calling it any of those but it would be all of that in all but name. The feelings of Brexit is still strong and it would be a massive mistake if they took it lightly.

Sunak talking about how a great deal that is makes this easier to sell for Labour when they are in power. They were not the ones talking about how great a deal it is to have that access. All they will be doing is making it easier to trade with the EU without giving up sovereignty. Or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ben Lowry used to have a reasonable opinion on things but he is nearly as bad as the DUP these days basically saying no to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think this tweet sums up this whole mess rather well. And I do find it ironic that JRM and others seem to now care about how the monarch is involved and the optics of it, when I seem to remember they went to Scotland to see the then queen and lied to her about proroguing parliament. It’s a bit to see through being honest. And Sunak in NI today making the case for being in the SM, I think by accident but I’m not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Ben Lowry was never particularly reasonable, being promoted to the editor of that paper has just given him a platform to fully be himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

When Labour get into power I assume trade deals will be done quietly and peacefully like they used to be done.

No more of this crusading bullsht. Shouting to the rafters about taking on the big bad EU and giving Jerry a bloody nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Agreed but the untrustworthy liars wouldn’t implement it, now of course they’re going to have to implement it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭yagan

Had an interesting catchup with an old friend. They're having problems establishing equivalence approval for new UK graduates in Irish jobs, so even with the residency rights UK citizens enjoy here Brexit is still proving a new hurdle. It doesn't affect those who qualified before Brexit.

Advertisement