Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2023 (Round 2) Rosslare (25th Mar @12:30pm)

Options
  • 24-02-2023 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭

(Previous outing link: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058275762/boards-golf-society-2023-round-1-corballis-18th-feb-11-50am-4club/p1 )

Welcome to the second round as we continue the links swing to Rosslare Golf Links.

Founded 1905 and soon celebrating a 120 year anniversary. Rosslare golf links is a traditional out and back design situated on a narrow, sandy peninsula at Rosslare overlooking Wexford Harbour to the west. We should feel very lucky that 120 years ago someone thought to put a stunning course literally right on the sunniest corner on a perfect spit of links land in the nicest country in the world.

This 14 club club challenge extraordinaire will see the first groups tee off from 12:30pm.

The top of the leaderboard is shaping up nicely. We continue on links, but a number of variables change. We move to a longer course, a new course, unseen by most I've spoken to. The out and back design requires you to adapt to the wind longer term, controlling ball flight with a full set of clubs in the bag. I only saw one person with driver at the last outing, suddenly here the driver will end up being the most important club in the bag.

Pricing on this one will be €40. I'll update shortly on when the booking system will be open. I've not seen this one before. If anyone has a course guide or tips please feel free to share.

I'd like to thank everyone for their buy-in on the very successful first outing for the year which I really enjoyed and got some great positive feedback on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

I've played it twice, in bit winds both times. All I remember from the first time is that I was slicing it terribly coming into the round. And here I started hitting everything dead straight. No slice on the first 7 holes. Then we turned around to come back in and suddenly the ball started slicing about the width of 3 fairways. I still can't believe I was so dim to think that my slice was magically gone and the hurricane not affecting my ball!

And I remember playing here last year very well. It's a fantastic course, if I had been told it was top 30 in the country I wouldn't have questioned it. The holes out along the coast are fantastic. It was another enormous wind last year too though. 17 and 18 are parallel. I nailed drives on both - 119m of a difference between them. Please God we don't get something so severe.

I'll be driving down from Portmarnock for this if anyone en route or not far off route would like a lift. It seems a bit daft to all drive down individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Snackbox20

Really looking forward to playing here again as the last time and only time was only 9 holes and it was a hike and a half back to the car park. I also vaguely remember it was an evening 9 hole and it was surprisingly calm.

I'll be starting out from Cluain Meala that morning and if anyone from the south of the country would like to share a spin from Clonmel to Rosslare, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Really nice course, 7th is a great links hole. I’ll post up video of each hole soon and the app will have hole views abs flybys

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Feels like ages away...who's up for 2 events a month? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Looking forward to this one too.

• Advertisement

The course guide for Rosslare updated through Clubnet is class.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭spuddy4711

This could well be the most memorable and enjoyable outing of the year, the fly through is more than impressive.

Looks like my sand wedge will follow R/R’s suggested driver as the go to club.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Hopefully fully fit for next one...Another great course and as flat links courses go ...this is a great one.

I also like the feel of the links in the town , golf feels a part of the community in courses like that..always busy , active and a sense of history...

Might consider staying over for this one...but not sure how accommodation is anywhere these days..seems a problem no matter what the occasion or time.

A good while since I played here , but think it is more a strategy and awareness of bunkers course ..not particularly a bombers course. First hole exemplifies the experience ahead .

Perhaps the lessons of Corballis should be recalled and embedded for this one , the talk of freedom above might be very misplaced..

There is a lovely short course adjoining, if someone fancies a warm up ...the day before [or even on the day ?] ...and will give additional experience to land , layout , turf and feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I carry my sandwedge well over 150 yards 💪 (but only from greenside bunkers 😫)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

really tempting to just bring the same 4 clubs as Corballis...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭token56

I'm really looking forward to this one because it is definitely going to be a battle. There seems to be a couple of challenging longer par 4's. From the scorecard, off the whites the 11th at 468 yards is a par 4 and the 12th at 469 yards is a par 5...I really hope the 11th is downwind 😐️. The fairways also look relatively narrow so driving is going to have to be in good order. Maybe off some of the shorter par 4's an iron is the way to go, especially if downwind.

I see there is actually an open singles on the day before and I may be off work...tempting!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I’m think there might be a few lads heading down for that

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

Best bet for accomodation is probably Wexford town... Don't think either Coast or Kelly's are open until Easter time. The burrows course next door is a nice little 12 hope course, last time I played it was 25 for the round, and you can cut out 8-10 for a 9 hole loop if strapped for time.

Looking forward to this one, I've been going to Rosslare for years playing the burrows but never played the 'real' course. I may even find a few of my stray tee shots from the burrows 11th while I'm over the other side.

Oh really, well if anyone is please feel free to drop me a DM I would be very interested in it myself if there is room on a timeslot.

The booking system for this event will open at 7pm this Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Time sheet is open (for info)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Booked! Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bobster453

Pardon my ignorance but whats the 9 hole bit about when booking this?

Oops..its for the previous day I take it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

No, I'd assume its just a default setting in the clubnet app which allows people in clubs to book 9 or 18 holes.

It's got nothing to do with our outings so you can just ignore it in the app

• Advertisement

Completely forgot about the booking yesterday evening. Got booked in this morning 😮‍💨😮‍💨. Looking forward to playing this course again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Another new course for me so really looking forward to it. Not a part of the country I would have spent much time in.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bobster453

I will just leave this here😂..

Oops, mea culpa

Fixed

🤣 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

Booked!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Will the timesheet be opened to visitors at all, or slots given back if spare?

Yes visitors will be welcome

drop me a pm with info and I’ll sort you out

• Advertisement

Please complete your booking in Clubnet if you're in for Rosslare but not yet down on the timesheet. Any unbooked slots remaining this week will be given back to the course.

Advertisement