Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

I heard Aaron Doherty missed a few trainings at the start of the preseason due to working in Dublin. I then heard he was then removed from the WhatsApp group no further communication from management - being removed from the WhatsApp group was his official notification.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Nix7979

Good craic liatening to the Donegal GAA podcast listening to ex Ardara 3rd team player and King of the Hyperbole cheerleading for the Academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭dog_pig

The last two performances wouldn't fill me with too much hope if I'm being Honest even if there was slight improvement in the Monaghan game.

Definitely need to tighten up defensively if we are to do anything.

What do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I find it interesting that members of the interview panel are now part of the senior management team. One of them is also front and centre in the academy row. It wouldn't fill me with too much hope.

What do you reckon?

• Advertisement

I was asking you what do you reckon about the game on Sunday?

Who are you referring to that is now part of the senior management team?

I'm sorry but you didn't ask me anything. You seem slightly confused.

I did, i asked you what do you reckon?

Anyway, who is this member of the interview panel that is now part of the SMT?

You asked another poster. Like I said you seem confused.

OK.

So care to enlighten us who the newest member of the SMT is?

• Advertisement

More baseless nonsense being presented as fact.

Can't even provide names, that says it all really.

Are you saying that Michael McGeehin or Ken van Someren have no had involvement with the senior team this year?

I am not sure about KvS but it's well known that MMG is a liason between the SMT and CB, so the involvement is not direct. A great asset to have given his vast experience in coaching not only in Ireland but across Europe.

I don't know as much about KvS so I won't comment on him but i hear he is widely regarded in ATU.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FreeChocco

Can't remember the last time we won a penalty in a game and didn't completely fall apart afterwards, let's see if today is any different

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Feels very like last week's game at half time.

That was an awful goal to concede.

So many wasted chances in the second half. Galway are a goal away from killing the game off

Hard to know how to feel after that. Point gained or point lost?

Should have been further ahead at half time but Galway probably didn't punish our turnovers enough in the 2nd half and had a few bad ones of their own.

Definitely an improvement on the past two performances. Shored up a lot more at the back but slow in transition when going forward. It will take time.

Fortunate today.

Too many wides and then rode our luck when Galway could easily have got a very scorable free and then Conroy was narrowly wide to win it.

Conor O'Donnell continues to chip in with important scores. Gallen has the talent to show more, hopefully he can stay fit. Jamie Brennan works hard but he always seems to find himself in situations where he can't shoot.

Defence was better, except for the goal of course, and, Galway didn't offer a lot up front for most of the game. Their struggles at longer kick outs helped us as well.

Would be good to see Mogan starting against Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

It was a real mixed bag wasn't it. As Nix said, it will take time but I saw some evolution of a game plan yesterday. There was more kick passing than we've seen in a while and a bit more of a mix of going long but it was still a lot more short passing so work to do as they say.

On the positives, Conor O'Donnell is showing well and I don't mind the odd wide if he continues to back himself as too many of our players, especially in the second half, just did not back themselves. It has to be said Galway were just as bad in the regard, it seems to be the nature of coaching these days to put lads off taking any shots on that are not considered "high % makeable" (I'm sure there is a better term for that!). Daire is a very busy player and uses the ball well but my concern here is that he plays too deep for an 11, maybe half back is a better position for him. Gallen will grow into the player we need in the ff line I feel, he just needs games right now. At the back I was impressed with Curran again.

If nothing else I'm glad to see Gallen starting games now, looks like he could be a class player.

• Advertisement

Would agree with you about O'Baoill.

I've said for years that Ryan McHugh is our best playmaker and number 11. Could never fathom why he was being played wing back.

According to his father a few weeks back he's out for a while.

The O'Donnells are the other obvious choice for CHF but by all accounts they have opted out sadly.

“In what is a difficult period for CLG Dhún na nGall we would like to inform our clubs and supporters that we are reluctantly accepting the resignation of Karl Lacey as Head of Donegal Academy, having exhausted all avenues of mediation.

In 2021 Donegal GAA approached Karl Lacey to lead out, develop and become the head of an Underage Academy. The vision was to establish a best in class environment to identify and support young players development. Donegal GAA was delighted when Karl expressed his interest and enthusiasm for the approach to develop talent within the county. His passion and experience was instantly clear to Donegal GAA. He was given a broad scope to develop his vision of how the Academy should operate and develop.

To maintain the momentum that was building up, it was agreed to start Academy activities and get up and running while governance arrangements were formalised and documented.

It is clear that the Academy achieved early on field success with young player engagement and development. This is in large part down to the hard work and dedication of the Head of Academy and the Coaches, and also the support and efforts of the players and their families.

Time and again we have learned that on field success, particularly with underage, must have proper controls that are transparent for everybody. As the on-field successes of the academy grew so too did the distance in position of the County Board and the Head of Academy on the arrangements. Good control should not interfere with or hinder success, it should provide a sound base to allow it to grow and flourish. Donegal GAA are not only bound by, but fully endorse, GAA governance standards. There has never been any question that any activity undertaken by Donegal GAA must adhere to these standards.

Donegal GAA, including the Academy, are not happy with the arrangements as implemented in the Football Academy. To be clear there is absolutely no suggestion or inference that there was any mal intent or neglect on the part of the Head of Academy or the Coaches. Donegal Management Committee approached the Head of Academy on a number of occasions to try and resolve the matters, but without success. Relations came to a critical point when the head of the Academy decided to offer his resignation. This was followed a week later by a statement by the Coaches. Donegal management greatly regrets, not only the damage that this has caused to GAA within the county, but particularly to the damage and concern it has caused our young players and families who were involved in the Academy. Members of the County Executive spoke to and met with Karl on a number of occasions to see if a meeting could be organised to address the arrangements issues. Again this did not succeed.

There are hard lessons here, that the Board will learn from and accept responsibility for. But falling down is not an excuse to not get back up. Our young players, their families, our underage coaches deserve our very best efforts to provide an environment where they can flourish as people, players and mentors. We need to foster a love for our games that will lead to lifelong participation. We need good control that doesn’t hinder, but supports achievement. This needs to be fair and transparent. To this end the board will present Academy governance arrangements that can be considered and agreed by County Committee. These arrangements are consistent with GAA standards and have been vetted by Croke Park. They deal with

➢ Roles and reporting arrangements within the academy

➢ Budgets

➢ Financial Governance

➢ Supporting underage in our clubs

➢ Coaches

➢ Data Management and Protection

➢ Season

➢ Child protection, Safeguarding, Health and Safety

➢ Reporting to County Committee

➢ Partnerships with other boards and sports

➢ Publicity and Social Media

➢ Use of GAA facilities

There are also good lessons here. The things that made the Academy a success. To the greatest extent this is down to the support it received from the young players, coaches, mentors, parents, and the wider Donegal GAA community who support our games in many ways. At this time, we all need this support more than ever. To this end the board will be seeking to meet with the players (and their families) who participated. We will also be seeking to meet coaches (including interested club coaches, and former Academy coaches). The purpose of these meetings are to identify what worked and what we can build on. We want to agree on

➢ The vision for the Academy

➢ The organisation structure of the Academy (both Football and Hurling)

➢ Player supports and development

➢ Coaches supports and development

The outcome of these meeting will again be presented to and agreed by County Committee.

We thank Karl Lacey for his outstanding and exemplary efforts, as a strong role model for all that is good in our game. We acknowledge this has been a difficult time for all concerned. The GAA in Donegal should be in a place where excellence is the standard and that we all play our part in ensuring this happens. We wish to be clear that any former Academy coach will be welcomed to participate. We wish Karl every success in his future. By working together we are committed to making our underage development best in class.”

A pity that a resolution couldn't be found. Lacey will be a huge loss. But similarly, the Academy model needs to be financially sustainable.

Great to have MMG in situ now and hopefully he will drive it forward.

Who is MMG? Michael McGeehin? Or somebody else?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

My reading of the academy situation is that Lacey was put in complete control and then the CB decided they wanted a greater input with regards budget I believe the academy was under budget..the CB mention about greater transparency yet they muddle from one crisis to another the numerous county final debacles, the delay in appointing Declan Bonners successor and now this. Surely the powers that be in Croke Park should be having a look at what’s going on !

Yes, Michael McGeehin.

The statement only adds to the debacle. Lacey did as he was asked by the county board. Any attempt to row back after the structures were put in place shows how amateur we are. If we are serious about being a top county it will take imagination and cost money. We want to do everything on the cheap.

When Dublin were setting up their academy system they headhunted Bryan Cullen from Leinster Rugby. They managed to outbid the wealthiest professional team in the country because they realised the value of doing things properly.

We are delusional if we think we are making progress as a county.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

Quick question folks. If we're relegated to Division 2 & fail to reach the Ulster Final are we out of the Championship & into The Tailteann Cup ?, the new format has me totally confused.🤔

The Championship this year is quite convulted so your confusion is merited.

My understanding is no we won't. If we were relegated from division 2 we would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Was trying to figure this out myself.

16 teams go through to the round robin: the 8 provincial finalists alongside the Tailteann Cup winners plus the 7 highest ranking teams in the league.

Who those 7 league teams end up being will be determined by the league positions of the provincial finalists. If we assume for the sake of this example that 4 of the 8 finalists will be from division one, that will leave the 4 remaining division one teams going through to the round robin plus 3 from the top of division two.

Advertisement