Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Ah come on. Who hates them more than serial killers? This is what Im talking about with the nonsense arguments. Literally, nobody said that. Show me one person here that is even close to that level of hate, Id be surprised if anyone actually cared enough to hate them.

The valid arguments have been discussed many times in here, Im not wasting time again writing an essay to go through it (and have it be ignored again). I should though just compile a list (in crayon font) and paste it when this is brought up. Can you not go a post without mentioning the Daily Mail?

Lately, I have been commenting more on the frankly embarrassing at times discourse in here. There are a few posters that are incapable of having a rational conversation and are spoiling the thread IMO. Its so repetitive and predictable. Its boring. Stripping all the bullsh!t. You know as well as I do the reasons we dislike H&M, you cant argue against them so the hero H&M defenders throw accusations and deflections. Its the only ammo ye have.

Still no reply from Boggles about why they completely twisted my South Park "opinion" etc. Imagine my surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Hated more than a serial killer? That's referring to Clarksons article and Rose West presumably? Hands up everyone who agreed with Clarkson? Anyone? Applying such broad stroke hate to everyone is part of the annoyance. It's taking one example via selective bias and creating a narrative from it e.g. someone might use Clarksons article and argue that the whole British Press is toxic, anti-H&M. That is one person writing a ridiculous opinion piece article which was roundly condemned for how toxic it was. He was quite clearly wrong. Clarksons apology was commented on by Harry and Meghan. I would say they did so because they had thousands of complaints propping them up and his article genuinely deserved their contempt. However, South Park refers to the Princess of Canada as an Instagram Loving Bitch Wife. Isn't that worth commenting on also? There is nothing propping them up to comment on it because it was a well received episode which had done it's homework and made on the nose satirical points. The surprising thing was what took them so long to have them as a subject.

You'll get some people who genuinely hate them. You'll get people who latch onto conspiracy theories about them. You'll get people making youtube videos scrutinising their clothes looking for wires etc. You'll also get people pointing out their hypocrisies, their falsehoods, their interminable PR manifesting etc. They're not one and the same. The best part of the South Park episode for me was where Kyle is the only one riled up by their hypocrisy. The rest could care less about some dumb prince and his stupid wife. Kyle tries to ignore the Prince and Princess. He tries his best but he comes home to see magazine covers splayed over his house. He ignores it and thry make it out that it's because the princess is ethnic. Kyle tries to ignore a blue todger rubbing against his window. The show just summed the whole thing up so well within the space of a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Jeremy Clarkson , didnt even bother reading the rest of your post.

Lol thats rich coming from you.

Again, Im perfectly calm, Im simply trying to focus on what it is you are saying. What you are accusing us of. You are the one constantly throwing out accusations at the rest of us. For example, you keep implying that I get my info from the DM or some other rag, yet you refuse to say where you get your evidence to refute the DM.

I'm not taking any of this personally. I just dont have any patience for this "debate" style of yours. Honestly, its coming across as trolling. It reminds me of that old Derren Brown mind trick. Someone comes at him angry and arguing about I dont know, parking in his spot. And Derren responds by talking about something completely different like a gone off cabbage. Which distracts and confuses the angry man, allowing Derren to sidle away or calm things down. I'm mangling the story but hopefully you get my point. Its the same tactic employed by you. Someone mentions something anti-H&M and you either throw out a Daily Mail accusation or bring up Andrew again or something equally irrelevant. Or in this case claim I've flown into a wild rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,138 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

you keep implying that I get my info from the DM or some other rag, yet you refuse to say where you get your evidence to refute the DM

I have done no such thing.

As for the rest of your post. 😕 That's me definitely out.

• Advertisement

Is Jeremy Clarkson a poster in here? How is he relevant to what we were talking about? Very convenient you didnt read the rest. Very convenient indeed.

Have a great weekend everyone! Hugs n kisses!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Except they have never cited privacy. A statement from a rep. of H&M from BBC.

The Sussexes' global press secretary, Ashley Hansen, said in a written statement: "The Duke and Duchess have never cited privacy as the reason for stepping back. This distorted narrative was intended to trap the couple into silence.

"In fact, their statement announcing their decision to step back mentions nothing of privacy and reiterates their desire to continue their roles and public duties. Any suggestion otherwise speaks to a key point of this series.

"They are choosing to share their story, on their terms, and yet the tabloid media has created an entirely untrue narrative that permeates press coverage and public opinion. The facts are right in front of them." https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-63922657

You don't get those kind of statements directly from them in the tabloids. This can be fact checked back to their original statement when they left.

Because the tabloids don't publish these kind of statements (in fairness to the tabloids/ royal rota, etc H&M have nothing to do with them). This is probably the main reason why they did the book and the netflix doc. to get everything out there directly from them to stop the tabloids putting some sort of a nasty spin on everything and taking what they say out of context).

How is he relevant to us talking about them receiving unnecessary hate? I'm not sure if that's a serious question. Enjoy your weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Oprah: So when I ask the question, ‘Why did you leave?’ the simplest answer is . . ?

Harry: Lack of support and lack of understanding.

Oprah: So, I want clarity. Was the move about getting away from the UK Press? *Because the Press, as you know, is everywhere* . Or was the move because you weren’t getting enough support from The Firm?

Harry: It was both.

Oprah: Both.

Harry: Yeah.

So he wanted to "get away" from the press in the UK but unhelpfully there is no explanation for what "getting away" means or how that could be implemented. That leaves room for speculation and I think that is where the privacy derives from. They haven't been out of the UK press for years. He's saying here that getting away meant that staying in the working role would involve them having to deal with the sections of the press who were hostile and unflatteting towards them, that this was frustrating and they didn't want to play the expected role of non confrontation with the press packs. So they had to move away and instead are free to engage with whatever entities they specifically wanted to engage with. Obviously only positive outlets who had sufficient reverance would be engaged with i.e. softball Oprah interview and not doing a promo on the more hostile likes of Tucker Carlson et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

…The bottom line is, they still need media and spotlight to generate income - dollars, pounds, shillings and pence- since that interview we’ve certainly learned more about them and their motivations and their hates- but I’m not sure we’ve learnt much about their goals and I’m not sure a whole lot has changed since Harry was recorded on camera promoting Meaghan at an official royal duty appearance for doing voice overs .

Besides the need to actually make money, and dreaming up ways to be both “relevant” “brandy” and Royal as they make that money, I’m struggling to see what they can bring to any party- and I think they are too. They’re living in one of the most fickle places in the world where human beings are brushed aside like a spec of dandruff from your collar and everyone there is trying to do the same thing - be relevant, in vogue and of course make money.

That’s why I think South Park was just so brilliant- they “got” it.

And my own personal view is - I think it’s given Meaghan one hell of a wake up call -I would not like to be Meaghan right now- that show totally annihilated her “brand” - and that’s the one THING, she treasures more than anything else in this world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Hmmm..Well I believe this has all stemmed from his ITV interview back a number of weeks ago when promoting his book- and essentially stating that any positive engagement with his immediate family needs to start with them-Daily Mail have been running similar stories for the last week or more- so it’s not “news”, per se- but that’s not a criticism of you posting the article either.

My point is, Harry essentially gave an ultimatum in that interview that the ball was firmly in his families court in terms of apology and what not- as the coronation is getting closer, this is becoming more of an issue.

Are the papers fishing for a story? Quite possibly.

Have the family reconciled behind the scenes? It’s possible but I don’t think so. Media are still reporting that William is still miffed with Harry’s book-while they could indeed be trolling the RF, my personal view is they’re not, as Harry and William reconciling in advance of Charles coronation would be much bigger news.

The last number of weeks has been a plateau of news re:H&M- very little has happened (except of course South Park)- so my view is, this article is anticipating either some sort of truce in the feud, or a definitive “Harry’s not going” statement in the coming days- the coronation itself is obviously planned well in advance so we’re bound to hear a definitive soon on Harry’s attendance- my guess is, Harry will go but Meaghan will stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

I feel that the royal family are keeping emphasis on H&M to prevent the public seeing what is really happening, and much bigger...... Camilla to be crowned Queen, and not Queen Consort. This is huge, as Camilla was divorced and mistress to Prince Charles. Also, Camillas grandchildren to be included in the ceremony. These are huge steps which are being hidden behind news reports of Harry and Andrew

They’re not “hidden” if you read the Daily Mail😀- all those stories were there in the last week.

How are the RF keeping emphasis on H&M? I don’t understand- it might be currently convenient that H&M stories are getting more traction than the above stories you mention, but it’s hardly within the control of the RF?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

A queen consort is married to a king, they are always addressed as queen. Look at the queen mother.

Only someone born royal can be king or queen in their own right, but the wife of a king is queen consort, she will not be the queen if Charles dies first.

There's no need for the RF to distract from this at all. 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Philip could never be called king because king has a higher rank than queen and he wasn't the monarch.

How is that not sexism?!

To thine own self be true

I'd imagine it harkens back to the time when the oldest son was automatically next in line, even if he had older sisters. That was only changed when Catherine was pregnant on her first.

The king's wife is always queen consort and called "queen first name", so there's no conspiracy to have the gruesome twosome in the news to sneak Camilla in as queen. The late queen even stated it was her wish for Camillato be queen consort.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Absolutely. It just always annoyed me the reasoning why PP wasn't allowed be called King!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

The late queen asked that Camilla be referred to as Queen Consort, yet last week the palace reported that she would be queen and not Queen consort.

It's the same thing!

The late queen was queen in her own right because she was the daughter of a king. Her mother was queen consort because she married a king.

She was still called queen and later queen mother when her daughter became queen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

She did. But the current queens of Spain, the Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, and Norway are all technically queen consorts as they are married to the kings of those countries. They are referred to as queen “insert name here” as @Leg End Reject said in their post but they are officially known as queen consorts. The palace reported ? So did the palace say it in an official statement ?

BBC online have had several articles as details for the coronation were being released, I'm sure other outlets have reported on it too.

The BBC even mentioned which crown would be used for Camilla as the crown with the Koh-i-Nur diamond will not be used as it's ownership is disputed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

Newspaper headlines say they are being 'evicted ' from Frogmore which is now going to be Andrew's new house.

Indeed- and here is said article from your favourite tabloid and mine 😛

Its great soap opera if true and it will do nicely for Harry’s Waaagghh part 2 book.

So if they visit Engerland where are they going to stay? Probably an “apartment” somewhere in one of the palaces where the Kent’s live in Kennsignton palace

Hahahahah the media's H&M stories aren't in control of the RF hahahah wow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Can you "evict" people who haven't lived at a property in years and don't intend to ever again?

They were “gifted” the cottage by the Queen for their wedding- looks like the Queen giveth and the King doth take it away again 😀

Calm down dear. You’ll give yourself indigestion

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

They have a lease and pay about £300K per year for it. I wonder will they get their money back for what they spent on refurbishing it? It used be several staff quarters.

So William & Kate want Andrew's place. That will be 5 or is it 6 homes!

• Advertisement

Advertisement