Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge cutting

Options
  • 06-04-2020 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Hi, i have a griselinia hedge in need of topping, i plan to take about 3 foot off of it and was going to do it once the lock down restrictions are relaxed, i had rang a guy with a hedge trimmer on a tractor and was talking to him about it this morning but he said that restrictions are in place between February and September regards to cutting of hedges and that he wouldn't like to chance it, my question is does this apply to domestic hedges as I've never seen a nest or birds around the hedge (the cats make sure there's no birds around the house as it is)and i also see plenty cutting hedges during the summer anyway, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Hi, i have a griselinia hedge in need of topping, i plan to take about 3 foot off of it and was going to do it once the lock down restrictions are relaxed, i had rang a guy with a hedge trimmer on a tractor and was talking to him about it this morning but he said that restrictions are in place between February and September regards to cutting of hedges and that he wouldn't like to chance it, my question is does this apply to domestic hedges as I've never seen a nest or birds around the hedge (the cats make sure there's no birds around the house as it is)and i also see plenty cutting hedges during the summer anyway, thanks

It's illegal to cut or burn hedges from beginning of March until the end of August.

Good article here covers a few of the questions around domestic gardens etc

https://greennews.ie/closedseason-hedgerow-cutting2020/

There have been prosecutions recently under the act, neighbours around here seem to cut whenever though.

I have three nests already in my small garden so far this season, you wouldn't really know they were there other than seeing the birds coming and going so had to warn my OH to leave the garden alone even though we have all this spare time on our hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Best to leave it alone until the Autumn.
    Blackbirds have a nest in my Griselinia. You'd have to be watching closely to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Ok. Thanks for the replies, ill leave it until later the start of September

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Good article here covers a few of the questions around domestic gardens etc

https://greennews.ie/closedseason-hedgerow-cutting2020/
    it's a little long for me to read right now, but my understanding always has been that the law does *not* apply to people cutting garden hedges.
    regardless, if i was to take 3 foot off a hedge, i'd prefer do it in winter anyway.

it's a little long for me to read right now, but my understanding always has been that the law does *not* apply to people cutting garden hedges.
    regardless, if i was to take 3 foot off a hedge, i'd prefer do it in winter anyway.

Why in winter, i try not to leave the cutting until too late, i usually trim back new growth now and in august, my biggest fear is that heavy frosts will get to it if i trim too late, I've seen hedges die from heavy frosts around here before

• Advertisement

Why in winter, i try not to leave the cutting until too late, i usually trim back new growth now and in august, my biggest fear is that heavy frosts will get to it if i trim too late, I've seen hedges die from heavy frosts around here before

Griselinia is susceptible to frost at the best of times.

What you want to do ie. take 3ft off the height is not trimming it is major surgery and comes with risk.
    If you go at it when frost is likely you could kill the plants.
    September/October is your best bet.

A light trim with a hand shears if things are getting out of hand should be ok.

elperello wrote: »
    Griselinia is susceptible to frost at the best of times.

What you want to do ie. take 3ft off the height is not trimming it is major surgery and comes with risk.
    If you go at it when frost is likely you could kill the plants.
    September/October is your best bet.

A light trim with a hand shears if things are getting out of hand should be ok.

I was actually measuring it this evening, i only need to take about 2 foot off it, the reason i need to drop it is because its gone too high and is blocking out the sun from the front of the house in the evenings, 2 foot should be plenty to let in the light and make it easier to work on, the overall height of the hedge is about 8 feet

Bearing in mind that I haven't seen the hedge I'd suggest that you actually take the full 3ft off it to allow it to recover and re-leaf at the top.

If you go down to the woody part it will need to grow back by about 1ft to look right and give you some fresh leafy growth to keep trimmed at your required height.

If in doubt ask a neighbour or relation for a bit of on the spot advice.

elperello wrote: »
    Bearing in mind that I haven't seen the hedge I'd suggest that you actually take the full 3ft off it to allow it to recover and re-leaf at the top.

If you go down to the woody part it will need to grow back by about 1ft to look right and give you some fresh leafy growth to keep trimmed at your required height.

If in doubt ask a neighbour or relation for a bit of on the spot advice.

Good advice, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Just because you don't see em, doesn't mean they are not there. I also have a " grizzly" hedge. I too have missed the deadline for major hedgecutting. Everytime I trim hedges in the Autumn I discover blackbirds nests in the "grizzly" branches.
    My kitty is currently stalking hedge, so I am pretty sure they are at it again as I can hear them hopping and turning leaves in the undergrowth.
    Last year I went to give a light trim to a bit of escallonia and disturbed wrens in a nesting pocket. Not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

This topic has often come up on this forum and the above press release clearly states

"the summertime trimming of hedges in the ordinary course of gardening falls under this exemption;"

So trimming garden hedges is excluded form the general ban on hedgerow cutting that comes in to effect today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it'd be pretty straightforward in many cases anyway for a gardener to check a hedge for life before proceeding.

Thanks for that, it's a timely reminder.

Keeping hedges tidy by trimming this year's growth won't be problem if you are careful.

Best to put the saws and loppers away until Autumn.

Advertisement