Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflection on the pandemic: questions about the authorities' response.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Yes and apparently you are allowed to compare Sweden to Iceland but not to Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Theres a massive disparity across Europe in terms of climate, wealth, health service, density the list is endless. So no all of Europe is not their peers. Peers are those things that are similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

The problem I find with this thread is that you have extremes. On one hand you have conspiracy theorists and on the other people who defend NEPHT regardless of the decisions made.

Despite my rant about NEPHT I'd be of the view that overall they did a good job given the circumstances. Again this post will focus on the negatives but overall the members of NEPHT should be proud of what they achieved in very difficult circumstances.

But NEPHT made mistakes even without the benefit of hindsight. A number of the restrictions had no concrete basis in science(show me a paper that shows that the act of consuming a €9 meal protects a person against Covid) and were obviously ridiculous. Some were outright unenforceable ie gardai can't randomly walk into a private dwelling. So there was no effective way of people meeting in their own property. There was large amounts of evidence that significant numbers of people were ignoring the 5km zone. It was so obvious that surveys at the time asked how often people had gone 10km from there house. You don't require hindsight to see that as time went on the adherence to the lockdowns and therefore the effectiveness decreased. It was widely reported at the time.

The measures introduced were all introduced in good faith but in many cases restrictions were based more on a political compromise than any science. Again nothing wrong with messy political compromises but they need to acknowledged in hindsight at least.

Again personally I think NEPHT did a good job and there is no doubt level 5 lockdowns and other measures were required. I don't envy the very difficult task they had. However the members of NEPHT are and were not gods. They made mistakes and its important to identify them and understand how they happened. Some mistakes can only be seen with hindsight but others were obvious at the time. It's important we learn from them.

Pandemics are a fact of life. You will find them throughout history. Thankfully we live in an era where we not only know what causes them but also fight them. It's important though lessons are learned for dealing with future Pandemics.

So again, we can compare Sweden to Denmark and Iceland but not to Germany?

And again, why had Sweden less or comparable excess deaths over pandemic years to all those peers?

And since we are talking about Ireland; it was nice to see one of the Swedish peers (Denmark) have full stadiums for Euro 2020 matches while we cancelled all our own scheduled matches to protect the HSE. So even the Swedish peers which apparently 'did so well' had way less lockdown than the outlier that was Ireland. Denmark reopened their schools in April 2020 while we cancelled the leaving cert when there were less than 10 cases per day in the country.

I'm not sure you know what you "meant".

Your implying that if you ignore all the actual facts and look at Sweden through beer goggles. You can make it look like it wasn't an disaster, that forced them to do a u turn in policy.

Like standing back further and further from a bad painting. The more you stretch the timeline the more worst cases you compare it with. The better the ugly sister looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I broadly agree with many of your points.

But if you look back at the 9e meal thing it was discussed in detail on the forum. Originally they only wanted to reopen restaurants, also done so that essential workers could have more food options.

People interact differently sat down for a meal versus out mingling in a pub for pints.

The vintners lobby objected and 'gastropubs' were included. The 9e meal had nothing to do with NPHET and was a political move based on transposing the substantial meal definition from existing legislation.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news/dr-ronan-glynn-says-nphet-22582616.amp

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

What is it about you people who constantly get outraged on behalf of the people of Sweden about their response? They themselves didn’t give a **** about Covid. Everyone I know in Sweden was laughing at our ridiculous situation. I was over there at Christmas and saw not one single thing or heard one single thing about Covid or saw one single mask. I often wonder do you people just have a chip on your shoulder because they had the gaul to go against the rest of the hystericals

"When they started to do better"

That's an admission that what they tried didn't work. So they changed.

Ironically you want to use the period when they had restrictions to prove that not having restrictions worked better. That somehow makes sense to you.

I can't get over the stupidity of this post (I'm attacking the post, not the poster).

So you are trying to saying that apparently Sweden brought in restrictions in (2021?) and immediately they started having lower excess deaths because of these restrictions? What restrictions did Sweden bring in?

You know full well that the poster was saying that Sweden may well have initially had some excess covid deaths in the elderly (Their CMO has even apologies for mistakes made in Nursing homes that our never did) but that over the course of the pandemic they actually fared better than their peers in terms of overall deaths and did not crash their economies and destroy young peoples lives in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I always believed the 5km limit was a knee-jerk solution to the unprecedented hordes of people descending on beauty spots over the first weekend.

Not helped by it being the first sunny spring weekend after months of consecutive storms, so we were all out soaking up the sun like junkies.

If the first weekend had been a washout, the 5km limit may well have been delayed until a later date. I did wonder whether someone just arbitrarily plucked that figure out of their imagination.

• Advertisement

Even worse, they initially brought in a 2km limit. Agreed it was a knee jerk reaction to media and social media panic. It was not based in any science, did not save any fatalities and only achieved making peoples lives miserable.

Never seen the parks as busy with parties and BBqs.

The only thing not based on science was that comment.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

If you don't know what (or when) restrictions they brought in. Maybe you should research that before commenting.

Again what do you mean by peers? What do you mean by "course of the pandemic". Extending the timeline to dilute stats is fooling no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Firstly it was flatten the curve. Then a load of review-in-a-month once it was flat. The National Framework was deviated from as soon as it was printed. And then there was that six weeks to save xmas which was asking for trouble. By any measure this was the government wasting precious public goodwill.

The fundamental problem was Irish politicians ended up being their usual weasels of saying one thing then immediately going back on it, rather than being straight with the population, so quid pro quo the general population stopped paying attention to the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Ah look, Nphet tried their best but they made some howler mistakes, e.g.

-5km limit ?

-€9 meal ??

- leaving cert cancelled???

- schools & unis kept closed way too long!?!?

- nursing homes????

- not lifting the restrictions earlier in the first summer, despite cases easing quickly (it finally took Leo Varadkar to go against their recommendations to bring forward opening up to the end of June)

- testing???? Very poor e.g. why not use Antigen tests earlier!!

- senseless hygiene measures for an air borne virus

- shut down & takeover of private hospitals -> put back all elective waiting lists & was extremely costly for little effect

The issue is why did Nphet make these mistakes. Some of which were highly questionable at the time. Fwiw, I think Tony H was an unmitigated disaster. It was his way or the highway, and the power went to his head. E.g. immediately after he came back from leave , he caused trouble with government straight away I.e. he wanted to make a statement that he was back.

Secondly, the composition & oversight of Nphet was badly thought out. Public health officials are not the best people to run a country even in a pandemic. At least their findings should have been vetted by an oversight committee with a broader composition including business people, educators, student reps, etc, etc

Thirdly, their interpretation of 'the science' should have been more vigorously challenged at the time, and their recommendations vetted for even then obvious over reactions e.g. 5km limit, shutting down education , etc etc

So look Nphet did their best, and they did ok imho, only ok mind. It's just they were badly conceived & were fatally flawed from the off - and this showed in their recommendations & interaction with government & wider society imho.

I don't get why people think any response would be linear and unchanging. Considering it was dynamic situation and a mutating virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

But what you are basically saying there is no evidence behind the substantial meal. Which is my biggest issue with NEPHT. What difference does to make to the spread of Covid did the change in behaviour make? What's the evidence behind it? I'm using it as an example of the lunacy that went on at the time. I'm not interested in bringing up a long dead argument.

There is a logic but you like any hypothesis it needs to tested. I can understand early on being cautious because the data available was limited but as time went on and as more data about different measures became available NEPHTs approach didn't notably change. We still had antigen tests being described as snake oil long after they were being used by other countries.

With the level 5 lockdowns they went on far far too long. It was obvious that large numbers of people had stopped obeying them but they kept the lockdowns in place. The government was terrified after Christmas of getting in trouble if it went against NEPHT. Its not healthy for an unelected body to effectively(if not officially/legally) supercede an elected government.

Again while I'm broadly supportive of NEPHT they did make mistakes and to learn these mistakes need to be acknowledged. Otherwise when the next pandemic hits the body in charge will have a far harder time managing it.

Post edited by PeadarCo on

No, you are the one suggesting they brought in lots of restrictions so it’s up to you to tell us what they were. I think I asked you this before and got radio silence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

I agree it's vitally important that Ireland's management of the pandemic and that the performance of Nphet in particular are subject to critical review. And that this review is made public so that the learnings can be acknowledged & adopted for future pandemics &/or emergencies.

P.s. it just shows how ridiculous a hold Nphet had got on the running of public affairs that Tony Holohan tried to get appointed as an adjunct professor in Trinity to review Ireland's Pandemic programme I.e. one of the main protagonists wanted to effectively head up reviews of his own work. Anyway, it was shown up as a job for the boys type move & he had to relinquish it. Nonetheless, the sheer arrogance of this attempted move still annoys me tbh... and it shows how some of these Nphet 'Tsars' completely lost the run of themselves tbh.

Experimentation and learn from the results.

Quarantine is a well established practice.

No. It was claimed they had "none" and I simply said that's not true they had restrictions. I never said (or implied) "lots" that's your invention.

Some examples, international travel restrictions, limiting participation in public events, banning nursing home visits, and closing upper secondary schools. Some of which were enacted in 2020.

We learnt some people would claim the rules they weren't following didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yes but the common denominator is humans and the reality is Covid was a tiny risk to the vast majority of humans, anomalies like people in their forties ( who were perfectly healthy otherwise) doesn’t change this , sudden adult death syndrome often strikes peak fitness athletes

"Death" wasn't the only issue and even if it was we didn't know that at the time, or how it would mutate.

All the ...but ...but ..Sweden...but.. but... pubs, won't change that. Any review will be viewed in the context of what happened internationally. While there lots to validly critisize, I suspect it will fall well short of heads rolling that some want. Will it result in some sort of best practice for the next event? Who knows. Did we learn from the last housing crisis?.

No I haven't basically said that. I posted a link demonstrating that NPHET had nothing to do with the exact regulation of the €9 meal and your respond with "that's your biggest issue with NPHET". Seriously?

Do you want to show us the evidence that driving at 51 kmh is dangerous and 49 kmh is not? And yet out laws have to pick some boundary marker to delineate speed limits.

Does that mean speed limits aren't based on evidence? Nope.

Do you really think it makes no difference to the spread of a respiratory disease whether people are sat down with a small group at the same socially distanced table OR mingling in a pub having drinks going from table to table? Do you want to see a diagram of interactions and the R factor of an infected person in each scenario? Or another explanation of how respiratory droplets disperse within 2 metres?

Do you think people are more or less likely to follow the guidelines in a hospitality venue if they're drinks with a meal or just drinking away?

So how would you go about transcribing this into a legal regulation?

Well?

Sudden adult death syndrome isn't a highly infectious disease. That you have to pick such an example shows how poor a comparison it is.

It was a numbers game.

Given the number of people it was a major risk to PLUS the number of people it was a minor risk to PLUS that it could spread and down staff VERSUS the hospital \ ICU and staffing capacity to treat severe cases...

The common denominator in every major health authority in the world acting as they did to covid was they saw what was happening to their hospitals. Whenever they saw the trajectory of it being overwhelmed, they applied restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Public health officials are not the best people to run a country even in a pandemic

And this is the crux of the argument, I said all along that NPHET should have been advocating for level 5 shutdown, full closure of all non essential retail, Movement restrictions etc. Because their only brief was to minimize the damage caused by covid-19, and to be laser focused on that.

The Government **** the bed by having absolutely no filter between themselves and NPHET. NPHET Should have comprised part of a larger taskforce consisting of them, Scientists, Mental health councillors, economists and others coming together and figuring out how to proceed. Instead the government only took advice from arsonists and seemed surprised the result was fire.

Advertisement