Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2023 **No Ticket Sales / Requests ** - It'll be grand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

The only one I'm sort of interested in is Jamiexx. Assusming he'll do the late slot on Saturday night.

Bonobo seems to have a few gigs in the UK around August so wouldn't mind seeing him if appeared on the lineup. M83 I'd like to see again. Bicep have a few festivals in August so might be a shout for EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭crl84

Fred Again is doing that slot, "Saturday Headliner" underneath his name here:

https://www.electricpicnic.ie/line-up/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Glad you enjoyed it and that we agree they'd be a great festival band.

Coach Party were good last night. 15 songs in a 40-45min. set. Yes they're poppy but not too poppy. The Breeders probably the easiest comparison but CP don't slavishly adhere to that sound, unlike many who tread a similar path. Special mention for the support Of All Living Things. They reside somewhere around the apex of shoegaze/dreampop/post-rock. Plus, it's nice to hear an Irish guitar band that isn't peddling post-punk. Ones to watch.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Great to hear, and it’s always good to get recommendations on decent acts touring the country, particularly as Feb/March is pretty sparse for good acts doing the rounds. After that it’s relentless until year’s end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Murder Capital in Vicar Street tonight. Bit of a weird one. I like the new album but it's like 2 different gigs when they switch between songs from the first and second albums. Totally different energy. Have to say, I still love those big, dark anthems from the first album. Their last Vicar Street show was certainly more intense. Anyhow no doubt they have plenty of material to choose from these days.

• Advertisement

Can’t get into the second album at all. It’s as if a different band (of teenagers) has written it. I’m not entirely writing them off, but I think they may be struggling. Hope I’m wrong.

Ah, I don't agree Seath. Really like some of the new stuff, Ethel, A thousand lives, We had to disappear. I think they have struggled, flying, then lockdown as they were launching into a proper tour, didn't cope too well with everything grinding to a halt I don't think. They've come out the other side in a different place. We'll see how they go but I think you're a bit quick on the trigger with the new album.

You’re almost certainly right on prematurely writing them off. I’ve given the album several listens and like a few tracks but it’s a leap backwards for me. I’ve tried, I promise, I’ve really tried but it feels like a mixed debut album to me.

I realise the difficulties they’ve had, and they still have the sound and intensity but the focus seems off. Would love to see them play live soon and want them to do well The Summer festival circuit may rejuvenate them, good slots at good festivals which will hopefully propel them forward. Our hopes can’t be carried by the Fontaines alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I'm the same. I'll have to give it another couple of listens. I've only given it one spin so far.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Tried it twice and struggled to finish it both times. A snoozefest. I won't be returning to it any time soon when there are far more pressing sounds demanding my attention.

• Advertisement

Right lads. I get it. Thumbs down for the Murder Capital.

I had another listen yesterday. Still unimpressed but it’s 85 on Metacritic so could reveal more in further listens. Or else most critics have cloth ears.

I think a good festival season may reinvigorate them and there’s better to come. The talent is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

You know who's interesting and also playing Workmans soon and hopefully EP

Benefits

Just the recent release. And that may change. As a band no.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Reading and Leeds gave their second announcement.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Thanks for that, i'd no idea they were playing.

That'll be a busy 7 days; Weedeater, Boris, Melts or BCNR, Benefits, Quasi, Otoboke Beaver!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

This is dog rough. With one or two exceptions the line ups this year have been dreadful. Lumpen craic like The Killers and Capaldi alongside a rogues gallery of newish hiphop acts and business-techno djs. This might be my last year at the Pick if they can continue to sell out and put on drab lineups.

When did the change happen? Some exec clocked that most peeps are getting pished in the campsite and it was immaterial who organisers focussed on / spent money on. The campsite pissheads will lap it up regardless?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

It’s a 70,000 capacity venue so complaining that’s it’s “sell out and putting on drab line ups” is a might nonsensical. It has to book “popular” acts.

plenty of options for smaller festival with more “curated/themed” line up.

also the organisers are spending millions on acts, it’s just going to book acts who may not like. The killers, Billie eillish, Lewis capaldi ain’t cheap.

Very poor, and a lack of young indie and quirky acts lower down the bill. At least EP is shaping up to be much stronger than that.

Ive been going to festivals in Ireland for over 25 years so have a half decent understanding of the economics, thanks for your unique insight nonetheless.

All for "pop acts" at a fest. All for bookings to meet needs of generations younger than me. To the experienced attendee however - well represented on this forum I might add - the extent to which younger acts are now represented is off putting.

• Advertisement

I agree with most of that and I can deal with the likes of Lewis Capaldi headlining as long as the promoters have got decent alternatives booked. While Megan Thee Stallion & Dermot Kennedy were playing the main stage we had Little Simz, Pixies & Fontaines DC as options. Idles and Amyl & the Sniffers already good acts for me, maybe Rick Astley & Billie Eilish.

A decent choice is all that most of us here want. if you’re privy to the lineup, and without revealing bookings, is there decent indie/hip-hop/heritage stuff for us to look forward to? You’re aware of the music taste of most on here.

as you say yourself EP has to meet the needs of the younger generation (who are the primary audience of festivals and who are the ones who buy 90% of tickets)

as years go the festival will naturally appeal less and less to experienced attendees as it has to meet the commercial reality of trying to attract 60,000 plus 18-30 year olds with relevant acts they like.

not to say that experienced attendees don’t enjoy Billie eillish etc. or that younger attendees wouldn’t enjoy older acts.

yes Glastonbury caters to experienced attendees with a broader booking policy, but it has a larger home population etc.

And yes I’m sure with the second and third announcement there will be a few decent indie and electronic acts that users here like.

Are there stats for the age demographics of EP attendees? I’d dispute the figure of 10% to include all of those over 30. That may be the case in the future but there’s no way that applies to recent Picnics.

The comparison go Glastonbury is very relevant. They cater for all music genres and age demographics. There is no reason for EP not to do the same. The larger population of the UK is not a factor when EP can easily sell 100k-120k tickets at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Both Green Man and Connect festival lineups are out.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Now Green Man looks a lot more like what I'm after. Loads of decent mid level acts there. While that's not the model that EP want to follow, the type of acts booked there, their profile and price range, should be doable on some scale, no? Think of the months of enjoyable research on that poster!

Edit: Just noticed Les Savy Fav on there. Are they back on the scene? I'd love to see them.

Connect actually looks great as well, PBS, Young Fathers, Wunderhorse, Arab Strap, Roisín, Franz Ferdinand, Beth Orton, Primal Scream doing Screamadelica.......

We're setting ourselves up for a fail here, aren't we?

Wouldn’t be surprised if Amyl and young fathers are on EP line up.

primal scream playing IMMA with Noel G the week before so that’s them ruled out.

Beth orton and PBS both playing body and soul so very unlikely to be playing EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Amyl confirmed

Leeds and (particularly) Reading have ceded their original crowd to the Downloads of this world and shifted to the TikTok crowd to stay relevant.

Mick Eavis famously announced an approach to encourage a younger demographic in the mid 2000's. As the festival market continues to fracture the big players need to change their approach to stay afloat. But to abandon a successful thematic style is rubbish. That Leeds poster is diabolical when you compare it to MadCool for example.

Think theres a balance to be targetted. As you say Seathrun this 10% statistic is back of a fagpacket craic. Spoofology.

Attendees over the age of 30 make up more like 40% with a big subset of this group in their 40s and above and with families. EP is our equivalent of Glastonbury. To follow a similar change initiative to Reading or (closer to home) Longitude to me is myopic and lazy. They need to try harder.

• Advertisement

Both very impressive but, for whatever reason, we traditionally don’t get acts from Green Man despite its proximity to EP. If we get another 10/12 decent acts I’ll have enough for the weekend.

I’d love Devo, Young Fathers, Squid, Goat, Walkman, etc. And I’ve not seen the B52s listed anywhere yet. That’d seal the weekend.

Advertisement