Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Eir Talk (SIP?) working with FTTC Fibre Box in Bridge Mode?

Options
  • 03-05-2022 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

I have a Unifi network infrastructure in my house with a USG providing routing and security.

I've recently installed Eir Fibre (FTTC) and have an F3000 (?) Fibre Box. I've put the Fibre box in Bridge mode and instigate PPoE connection from the USG.

Pervasively, when I had Eir service, this worked perfectly with an F2000 box. Now, however, Eir in their wisdom have implemented their Talk service over broadband (is that SIP?). When I go to bridge mode, the phone service fails. Eir support wont help with Bridge Mode configs.

I think I need to set up some firewall, port forwarding or NAT rules in the USG to get the VoIP phone service working agin, but not sure how;

I came across this blog post which seems to outline the general principle and ports involved, but I cannot seem to find the magic config in Unifi.

My current attempt is to set up firewall rules...

Nothing really on the Unifi Community forums either that match my specific case (lots on FTTH, not so much on FTTC). Hoping someone here has some insight?

Here's where am so far, attempting to set up firewall rules on WAN IN for 6050 and 10,000-10,100 to be redirected to the Eir Fibre box (192.168.0.1) connected to WAN port of USG

Post edited by meep on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Do you need to put your ISP router/modem into Bridge Mode?

Option could be to leave it in 'normal' mode (disabling wifi etc.) and drop your own router into the ISP router/modems DMZ - you'd need to set a static IP but thats about it, the net connection setup on your router wouldn't be PPPoE, just a basic ethernet connection. That way in theory, whatever SIP service that requires the ISP router/modem should work just fine...I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

cheers. This is how I had my previous set up (sky) and it was never a great success with double nat issues problems with Netflix throwing access errors and the like.

I actually changed back to eir to get my old landline back only to find eir are now up to this sip nonsense. I’ve called eir, asking for a proper PTSN setup. We’ll see.

Post edited by meep on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Ah, didn't realise that would be an issue - wonder if ComReg are of any use to push ISPs to allow the use of our own SIP adapters instead of their junk hardware

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dav7841

Just want to bump this thread and see if you got the landline issue sorted? I have a similar issue with the google nest wifi. Wifi is working great with the eir fibre box in bridge mode but our landline is down. double NAT'ing is an issue otherwise with bridge mode switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Go for the easy option.

Buy a cheap un-managed switch (amazon for 15 euro)

Connect all three devices to the un-managed switch (ONT ethernet cable, WAN cable to the ISP device for phone, and WAN cable to your own device for LAN/WLAN.

Both the ISP device and your own LAN device will get an IP address from the ISP. Turn off the wifi in the ISP device if you want to keep things clean.

This has worked on both EIR and Vodafone for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

Sorry so late replying.

Got eir to give me a proper pstn line. It took a while, but all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mc_teo

I have Eir FTTH. Eir uses VLAN Tagging, but Google Nest WiFi does not, so I had to include the Eir F3000 (in bridging mode) before the Nest Router.

I believe I could buy some kind of managed switch that could work to strip the VLAN Tag though.

Advertisement