Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer Customs Opportunities 2022 (Shift Work)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 competition

Thanks for getting back to me,

How quick do they get after doing the interview thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18 competition

• Registered Users Posts: 4 liverpoolfc82

Could I ask from the date you get the job offer to starting date. Sis you have to give notice to your employer

• Registered Users Posts: 4 liverpoolfc82

How long after sending in guarda vetting forms did you hear back as to whether you got he job or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Wennon

I haven’t heard anything waiting on garda vetting to go through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Mattie12

Hi....just wondering did you start yet in the position..I'm at the vetting stage now,if you know how long does it take before they issue contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

For anyone who has started and is currently working in Customs, how are you find it?

I went for two competitions and this was one, didn't go for this in the end as the other thing came up first and the interview for this fell on my first days of training for the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭billyhead

I would be interested in hearing feedback aswell about the job in Dublin Airport or Port. I was offered a position however turned it down as I would have had to take a demotion in the Civil Service and pay cut. I hope I'm not regretting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Let’s put it this way I've been in law enforcement for many many years before….I’ve been in more altercations in this role than I have in the previous a lot of new hires are coming to job thinking it’s a few questions and send the folks on there way, however that’s not case. I cannot divulge duties that customs some generic duties are available but most are not for obvious reasons, I can say it’s a lot more than the average Joe public actually thinks.

• Advertisement

I would have thought that this would be a positive of the job i.e. it's never dull or boring and it's not like your typical desk bound routine civil service job at that grade. No 2 days are the same.

everyday is not the same it’s a very exciting role if you put the work in and it’s rewarding. The courses you do, you can use outside of the civil service too so it genuinely benefits you as person including revenue. When you are in enforcement you are at a desk for about an hour other than that you are out on patrol or boardings etc…trade facilitation are in the office more often.

Cheers for the feedback Sgt Bilko. It sounds like an enjoyable job. I was very much considering accepting the offer at the time but I was conflicted as to whether it was worth taking a dip in my salary and a demotion to take the job so after careful thought I decided to stay put because if I was in the customs job I would be eager to move up the ranks again and could be moved back to a purely administrative role.

Here's the reality check. I am not speaking for the Dublin Airport roster role, but what I say is accurate for most everywhere else in the country.

After tax it's worth about an extra €50 per week, plus expenses (€16.29 between 5 and 10 hours once you are working more than 8km from the office, €39.08 for 10 hours or more). You must live no more than 45 minutes from your place of work.

You are expected to drive any official vehicle that your licence permits, however in the event of an accident, the state claims agency only provides 3rd party cover. i.e It will cover damage to the person you hit, but your passengers must claim from you. Many fail because while they can drive their own car into the same parking spaces they always park in when handed the keys of a seized SUV and told to reverse up a farm laneway in the dark or negotiate narrow city laneways in heavy traffic and unfamiliar junction layouts, they sometimes refuse, putting the onus on their colleagues to drop what they are doing and rescue them.

Make no mistake, if you apply with a Full B licence, you will be expected to drive everything under that licence, not just your 1L fiesta. That includes Tiny smart cars, electric vehicles, automatics, manuals, petrol, diesel, Cars, Jeeps, vans, people carriers, electric handbrakes, manual handbrakes, everything up to and including a Fiat Ducato high roof van, with the handbrake on the wrong side. People's pride and joy, and their farmyard runabout that stinks of cowdung. You'll be expected to drive confidently when keeping targets under observation, but if you have an accident, or get a ticket, that's your problem.

Your work phone is with you 24/7, you work when it tells you. You can apply for leave, but only if it suits the needs of the organisation. I know people who finished their contracts with 40 days leave unused. Half days don't exist. Depending where you work you will not know what you are doing on Monday (what time you start & where) until 7-8pm Sunday evening. You might start at 7am and not finish till 10PM that night, and thanks to the working time directive you won't need to be back in work until 9am the following day.

A 50-60 hour working week is normal. There is no overtime for the majority of allowanced posts.

You'll spend more time discussing your personal life with your colleagues than with your spouse or significant other.

You'd be surprised how many people are shocked by the above once they start in the role, and soon become a burden to their colleagues.

Make no mistake it's a fantastic job, and experience unlike anything else you'll get outside AGS in the public sector. I Did 2 5 year contracts before having to quit on health grounds and return to the desk job.

What's promotion like in the job? If you get promoted are you moved anywhere in Revenue within a 45km radius or can you stay in your customs work location?

There's a separate thread about that, but as far as customs enforcement go, once you get promoted, your enforcement contract ends, and revenue will send you wherever you are needed, depending on where you picked on your form, i.e Dublin, Cork, Kimerick, Kerry, etc. You won't be left in an allowanced post. If there are vacancies at that grade in non-allowanced posts, you may be considered for them, but there are no guarantees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

There are promotion opportunities within the job once you have 2 years service, this can include previous service if you have worked in the civil service before.

Is this to stay in Customs though or once promoted likely moved elsewhere in the org?

This in not entirely correct, the 24/7 shift premium contracts are different to the enforcement contracts the allowance for the enforcement contract was for flexible and additional hours, on the 24/7 you are required to work a shift roster and are not required to work outside the rostered hours you are also entitled to a Sunday premium which will bump up your pay, you may have to carry a moble phone but not always the case depending on where you are placed.

It's a very rewarding and exciting job depending on where you are assigned.

Billyhead if you are in the civil service you could be entitled to incremental credit which would have bumped your salary up. You can carry previous service in.

• Advertisement

Previously you had to move out of Customs to get promoted and then reapply for Customs but now you can get promoted within Customs

Very scarce. Unheard of outside Dublin or maritime.

24/7 shift is only for a small few branches. I'm only speaking for the non shift premium contracts.

Yes but afaik this competition is only for the 24/7 shifts.

I could be wrong but can't access the information booklet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Shuffl_in

Can anyone tell me what the role would involve for those based in Portarlington?

Probably the Fastway hub. Same as the mailcentre in Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 care-bear

Hi all,

Is there anybody here that works in customs Portarlington?

I know it’s Fastway mail centre…..Would love to hear what kind of work and shifts are involved?

You should try ringing them, rather than asking on a site like this where people may not wish to let the world know they work in Customs.

There may have been numbers given on the application form to ring if you want to know more.

Is there much or any court work involved in this position?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kittyc2018

Not always it depends on what area you are assigned to. If its Enforcement there may be some court work but if it Trade Facilitation there is little to no court work.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement