Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Less resilient youth

• 01-03-2023 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭slither12

Is this really true? We here about it all the time about how this generation are snowflakes. Given that there more people on earth now it seems likely that there'd be more people with extreme personality traits and mental disorders than in the past. Social media also highlights fragile people and one could assume that the's the norm rather than the exception.

Comments

• Whilst destigmatising and talking about mental health is always good, too much prolonged focus on it can lead to being conscious of it to the level of pre-occupation and trying to avoid all situations where opportunities to develop resilience are avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

I think the whole snowflake thing is oversold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Absolutely less resilient but it is the fault of their parents generation. Too much done for kids, protecting them From everything, mammy and daddy providing everything, no such thing as a part time job, no responsibility and their heads filled with bulllshit like love island. I know it’s not all kids, but plenty of them are being reared to be children not adults.

I do feel sorry for them though, because the world is getting tougher, over population and resources tightening, will mean they need to be more resilient, and sadly so many of them do not know anything about bouncing back because they’ve never been allowed to fail and learn those essential life skills.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm just glad i grew up before social media took off.

• It would have been an absolute nightmare for me growing g up in social media age, I’m early 60s and find it difficult enough as it is.

• Advertisement

Isn't that the ultimate goal, though? Protecting the next generation as much as possible so they don't have to put up with the same crap that we did? Leaving the world and our offspring in a better spot than we found ourselves growing up is pretty much the definition of a job well done, I'd have thought? (not that I'm saying we're close to achieving that or anything).

I mean, you had it easier than your folks did in the mid-late 90s, who had it easier than their WWII-era parents, who had a better life than the famine survivors etc. Saying "kids these days don't know how to do X, Y and Z" is akin to someone from the 1940s giving out that their kids don't have to climb up chimneys to clean them from the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

Boomers not understanding how young people act, how they feel, how they view society, the clothes they wear, the music they listen to etc is as old as humanity itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've got an 18yo son and I wouldn't say he is less resilient than my own or prior generations.

He has been through the mill and experienced more loss already in his life than most. Yet, he is a stable, happy and resilient lad. He is very involved in local causes, he has served on Comhairle and is active YAP and other projects. During lockdown he was a co-author on a study on youth mental health and in particular resilience and coping strategies that led to both a successful presentation and exhibition locally along with him and his academic co-authors presenting their study at a global conference last year in Copenhagen.

I think the trope of snowflakes and their lack of resilience is at its core a fundamental misunderstanding of what resilience is and what it should be.

Is it taking the knocks, learning to cope and carrying on?

Or, is it encountering obstacles, talking through the issues and trying to change the system that threw up those obstacles in the 1st place? All whilst being aware of, and dealing with the emotional impact.

The 2nd option is IMO far healthier and productive. It isn't just about jumping on the mental health bandwagon. It really is very much about trying to change the system.

It's not always spoiled kids being entitled or overly indulged. Sometimes it's kids wanting to change and bucking the trend of "we've always done it this way".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Yeah but they are getting things done for them that don't need to be done, being collected from school when they live a 5 minute walk away.

I know someone from eastern Europe, she has her kids who are all under 12, cooking, making their own breakfast and lunch for school, where as another Irish woman I know doesn't trust her daughter who is 15 to make a toasted sandwich for herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Use of the word "boomer" immediately de-legimatises any argument/point/discussion imo. It's all this labelling, identity politics bullshit that the youth of today are seemingly preoccupied with, instead of facing the realities of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

No it isn’t, it is a parents job to raise their kids to be functional adults, able to cope with life’s normal trials and tribulations. Thinking the world will be a better place etc when we shunt off is wishful thinking, look at the war, famine, climate change, and an ever increasing human population. Younger people can’t get mortgages, lovely defined benefit pensions a thing of legend. competition is fierce and will only get worse. The world is gonna get a helluva lot tougher, and the best thing you can raise your kids to be is resilient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Like everyone else back in the day I used to walk to school and make porridge for myself for breakfast and then clean up the pot and bowl and spoon and what ever else was in the sink in the morning. I woke myself up too just added that as I only realised recently that a fair amount of kids get woken up by a parent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

That is only true if doing it a better way is the answer, I can across a piece where a parent was giving out about a local school 'boasting' about academic results because it might be hurtful to those of lesser academic ability, forget about the boasting being a bit tackie, the reality is that academic ability matters no amount of changing the leaving cert will change that, nor the fact that looks matter on a dating site, so, in the end, the best way parents can promote resilience is by teaching that someone else's success does not diminish them, not be trying to bend reality for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

And usually many of the “adults “‘doing the complaining are the best specimens going.

There was an RTE Reality tv show on a few years ago about new Irish Army recruits, one of the new recruits said "its a big change being in the Army as I havent made my own bed in around 5 years". That is the kind of mollycoddled youth we have in Ireland these days.

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

― Socrates

I think that quote isn't real but you get the point

I haven't a clue what it's like to grow up saturated by social media, recently a friend became a grandparent for the first time she sent me a photo of her daughter and the new grandchild just after the birth, the woman who had just given birth had full make up on and those huge false eyelashes, I couldn't fathom how anyone had put on full makeup to give birth, someone told me its cause by TikTok and Instagram, they have to look fabulous even though they have pushed a small human out! living their best life, building their dream!.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Then you have things like gender reveal parties. 🤦‍♂️ SOFT.

If we get invaded like Ukraine, we are fcuked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Actually, this is a great point.

I've a teenage boy and talks to me about anything. He's was confused about why everyone in his peer group had so many problems. It frustrated him.

I wasn't sure how to answer on a teenager level without saying "my god they're ridiculously trivial". I eventually did.

It's this eternal gossip and social media that needs to be cut out. I'll sound old school but go out, kick a ball, play pool, sit on a wall...no phones...

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭French Toast

There will always be well-reared kids. Those who are academically capable, have a few hobbies, a decent sense of purpose or drive and know right from wrong.

The useless ones are becoming increasingly useless. Able to recount the movements of their favourite American TikTok star but unable to tell you which way North and South are from where they are standing.

Before the mobile phone, you couldn't just sit on your hole for hours and do nothing, you'd get bored after a while. Now, you can.

Are parents buying phones for their kids or are the kids buying the phones themselves? If the parents are buying them then they are idiots. Kids don't need phones, I didn't have one until I was 21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Why is there a greater lack of resilience now though ?

has the qualities involved in parenting decreased ?..

or…

maybe it’s because life now, indeed for 20 odd years pre pandemic, (covid aside) hasn’t brought as many challenges to a current crop of younger people, there is happily way more out there for young people now then the ‘80’s and 90’s… safety, security, opportunity, entertainment, education, travel, and it’s all attainable easier so little to no resilience exists ?…when they become faced with difficulties or a path of greater resistance to happiness or whatever goal ? They don’t cope so effectively ?

take the pandemic as an example…studies I’ve read suggest that children and teens were the two cohorts most negatively impacted…yet tangibly they had the least to lose… least at risk group in terms of health…no responsibilities to put them at financial risk… tech literate so studying, communicating and entertaining / entertainment was handy enough.

Yet, despite this probably more vocal regarding risking society to restore their in person social freedoms… 😶‍🌫️

it would worry you if the Russian situation became more hostile towards the EU and the idea of conscription was mooted to boost our defense forces 👀 I’d say you’d get a land at the Q’s outside doctors offices looking for a signed letter of excuse.

Don't get me wrong. Information is always great when accessible...when it's the right Information (I'm not going to tell them the right information, but may guide them with regards to multiple sources).

I'm sick and tired of listening to whining on the bus about ridiculously trivial crap. These are late teenagers. Social media can be fantastic, but for the majority of parts it's awful.

Just as I didn't give a hoot about the opinions of boring old columnists in papers growing up, I'm sure young people don't give a toss about the opinions of boring old middle-aged curmudgeons who think ranting online (especially on Twitter) about "wokeness" is somehow a good use of the remaining time they have on the planet.

Mr. Plain Speaking might think he has all the answers, but young people just don't care about boomer opinions. They do care increasingly about climate change, economic equality, and treating people with fairly basic respect. That seems to properly annoy the sort of tedious old fart who comments on every twitter thread about anything to do with equality and fairness. They seem angry about everything in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Advertisement

economic equality

Excuse for people to be lazy and get things handed to them. Not how life works. we cant all get participation medals.

We live in a Capitalist Country, if you have a problem with that then move somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Eventually though you end up with a generation that don't know anything about the world, don't have any incentive to find out and just spend their lives being tended to by robots or living in a matrix-like VR environment for escapism

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

like how using the word "snowflake" or "woke" also de-legimatises any argument/point/discussion

what are they doing for climate change ? Beyond paying it lip service ? The majority, absolutely nothing.

a good percentage of the cohort being discussed are pro massive population increases in Ireland and Europe which has, is and will increase the levels of pollution and environmental degradation across the country and continent…. They are becoming not only the most dangerous and careless generation but the most utterly silly, careless and hypocritical…possibly ever. Utterly bereft of responsibility, tangible intelligence and vision.

The loudest voices are often heard to camouflage their stupidity. Which is why this cohort are not very keen on shutting up… a bull and bluster generation. Which we will all probably end up paying for, in time, history won’t be kind to them…

the laughable thing is, they ain’t resilient now ? Boy they better learn how to become resilient because the pathway this country and continent are headed… 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

They’ll also be helping to pay his pension so he better hope they don’t piss off somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Resilience is built by being tested.

Perhaps we can be grateful that life is somewhat easier. That could be a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Seems like some people aren’t very happy with their own “situation” and just don’t want others, especially young people, having it any better.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

From my point of view. No.

I don't want them having a harder life than me. Mine wasn't particularly brutal.

But! They need to stand on their own two feet. That's what I try to do with my boys.

I'll always be there, but will not always hold their hand and fight every battle for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Probably. I reckon TaxAHcruel would take out quite a few of them for us on their way in though. Actually his pre teen kids would probably chalk up a higher body count than most of the next generation up and show us what a few resiliant youth actually look like :) Awwww all attempts to lure him back to the forum have so far failed. He would have been fun on a thead like this.

But what if they don't like sealed sambos? Or if they love tower burgers?

• Advertisement

We’ve seen young people here marching and protesting…

• the cost of living crisis
    • housing crisis
    • climate inaction / crisis

why ? Yet , the clowns have been advocating for some of the exact catalysts that enable the above three threats.

namely our population increasing hand over fist and by tens of thousands per annum :)

current population 5.084 million

Turkeys voting for Christmas, it’s depressing… such is the WOKE virus 🦠 infecting their brains. That cohort are at greater risk.

proponents and catalysts of a problem that will impact them greatly yet they have not got the tools to cope with it….but they advocate it.

caring about climate change economic equality, and treating people with fairly basic respect are all good things, but they won't make racism or jealousy, misogyny, violence, putting others down, or getting ghosted on a dating site go away, human nature does not change we are flawed there is no paradise constructed by doing things differently ( humanism/communism )

To me, it's the older adults who are starry-eyed about young people doing it differently and better are the ones who are being naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Concern about climate change should go hand in hand with rejecting consumerism.

Less tech, designer clothes, expensive trainers, grooming products, using less energy, walking or cycling where possible etc - that seems to be a bridge too far. Same goes for adults though.

The middle aged or old person who goes on about how tough they were back in the day and there were no peanut allergies and their mothers smoked through all their pregnancies and their fathers drank and drove and it did them no harm... are obviously insufferable, but sometimes so are middle aged and old people trying to be down with the kids and saying "boomer" to look cool (the term originated in the US - it refers to people born there between 1946 and not sure which year, despite the fact that so many of those very people protested against the war in Vietnam, against racial segregation, against discrimination experienced by gay people, experimented with drugs, were part of sexual liberation, women's lib, the hippy counter culture - they were actually instrumental in changing society).

LOL I wont need a pension. Hard workers don't need them.

doing it better ? CSO numbers and life experiences suggest otherwise…

A hard worker never needed a pension, Jesus 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The youth of today are every bit as resilient as any previous generation.

And in twenty years time plenty of today's youth will be complaining about "young wans these days"

I was a teenager in the 80s and we were considered a waster generation with punk music and weird hairstyles. And here we are now 40 years later doing the exact same thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement