Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One of the best story-focused games ever IMO - extraordinary, vibrant writing and memorably strange, haunting presentation. Also a very smart modern take on some old point 'n click norms, with lots of funny and unexpected little details that emerge as you interact with the world.

It won't be for everyone - it's defiantly literary and political in its approach to its story, and it takes some wild narrative swings at times. I personally loved it. A rare game that operates in similar territory to the transcendent Kentucky Route Zero - I'd give KRZ the priority if you haven't played that, but they're both fantastic in their own ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭quokula

I've decided to clear out a bunch of devices I've had sitting in a drawer for years, which includes a PSP, a Vita, a 3DS and a 3DS XL. Are any of these worth much or is there anything I should check before chucking them up on a website?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Does that mean we might get Nintendo games in 4K 60 FPS on XBox ? Or a sop to regulators to get the Activision deal though ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well most Nintendo games are 60 fps or a solid 30 fps at worse. Doubt the deal extends to Nintendo games on Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Now we have numbers for Hogwarts Legacy.

Hogwarts Legacy Is Biggest Global Launch Ever for Warner Bros. Games

Over 12 million Units Sold and $850 million Sales Worldwide in First Two Weeks

Also Sets Record as the Biggest Single-Player Game Ever on Twitch with 1.28 million Peak Concurrent Viewers at Launch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Fúcking rhythm games. Currently playing Hi-Fi rush and the stupid fúcking button press set pieces. Nightmare.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm despairing over the sheer stupidity in the online discourse in the last few weeks.

Today the director of FF16 said something about him and the team seeing JRPG as something derogatory and now the internet has exploded with the usual nonsense from FF fans saying they don't want a WRPG and bring back turn based, even though the only defining thing about the FF series other than the bestiary is how it reinvents itself with each new entry in the series. Even looking at the videos of the game it's outrageously anime and definitely not a WRPG.

I gave this game a go and ... I'm not a rhythm game person ... and still not convinced.

I'm currently 75% through the game and if you think it's bad near the start it gets a lot harder from roughly half way through.

Don't have the time. Nice to be able to try it out on GamePass though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭McFly85

And FF16 is looking fantastic. I’ve never played 14 due to not playing MMORPGs but by all accounts Shadowbringers is a high point in the series so really excited to see what Yoshida and CBU3 do with a single player game.

Seems a lot of the hate is coming from the fact that this is an action RPG first and foremost but I don’t understand the complaint. The main series hasn’t really been turn based since 10 and as you say it’s a series that has routinely reinvented itself. I suspect a lot of people complaining will end up loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I never played a Final Fantasy game. Should I be ashamed of myself?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've only played 6, 7, 8 and 9; they're ... good. But there was an awful lot of faffing about. nostalgia has done a fair bit of heavy lifting in terms of plot n all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I bounce hard off traditional RPGs and especially JRPGs. Not including recent open world RPG lites like Skyrim etc here. Although I'm bouncing off those now too. 😁

I played them all again recently and IMO they hold up well and I don't think there's anywhere near as much faffing about as most modern big games.

For example VII is much better paced and less bloated than the remake IMO. Take something like the train graveyard, it was a single screen that only took 5-10 minutes to cross in the original yet still managed to be memorable, but in the remake you'll be there for hours traversing it, while it adds precisely nothing to the plot or world beyond acting as filler to keep the game's running time up.

Everyone will have their favourites but the series inarguably peaked somewhere between FF6 and FF12. The games earlier than that are very basic, and it went off the rails a bit afterwards (though FF14 is a much loved game and supposedly amazing when you get to the DLC bits, but that takes 100 hours or so and I don't have enough free time for that and got too tired of grinding waiting for it to get interesting)

FF16 doesn't look like a Final Fantasy game at all. It's getting a lot of praise but most of what I've seen suggests it isn't a game for me or for fans of the series, and more one for fans of action games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just finished it on the hardest difficulty the other day, where you instant fail if your combo meter drops below D 😅 It’s actually barely a restriction in most standard fights, but the ones where there’s some obstacle or delayed pattern before you can properly get into the flow of comboing are the hardest ones to deal with.

I’m generally fairly good (but very rarely great) at rhythm games and think this one’s very accessible and easy in terms of following the beat in normal gameplay - I was almost always 85% or above in terms of beat timing. But some of the ‘call and repeat’ boss battle sequences and elite enemy finishers are definitely tricky to nail. Though when you get one of those finisher combos perfect and Chai just slickly slices through one of the enemies to finish the fight… that’s the beauty of a good game rhythm game to me.

I never played any FF game either and I have no interest in trying them. I know they are not all turn based but some of them were and I hate those types of games. I made an exception though for the two South Park games.

Honestly think the FF games are all mostly excellent. The pacing is perfect and from FF4 onwards there's no need to grind or anything. There's a few duff ones of course, FFX on revisiting is a bit pants and FFXIII....

I think FF16 is looking really good. I've a lot of confidence in the team managing it and Square have been kind of knocking it out of the park lately with some really great RPGs. FFVIIR was the only disappointment and that was more down to the awful pacing. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they do with a real time combat system. They absolutely nailed it with FFVIIR and hopefully are taking inspiration from Valkyrie Elysium.

What if I told you the two South Park games stole their battle systems from various Final Fantasy games but did them really poorly.

• Advertisement

I should be ashamed of this but I had to drop the difficulty down to easy in the two South Park games as I was so shít at turn based games and I never play any game on easy ever. The whole concept is lost on me. Just stand there the enemy attacks and then it's your turn, like what the hell is that about.

edit: I actually got as far as when Randy got abducted by aliens and was trying to escape and I just lowered the difficulty and then from memories of that I just went into the second one on easy from the beginning.

It’s obviously not a patch mechanically on genuinely great JRPGs, but I really enjoyed Stick of Truth for taking an RPG formula and making a more manageable sized game out of it. That was at the stage when I was really starting to get irked by bloated single player games, so it was refreshing to play one that had genuinely good pacing and didn’t overstay its welcome… albeit with substantially more ass jokes than your standard video game 😅 Honestly think a lot of RPGs could learn from its more streamlined and filler-light approach.

I’d definitely recommend Persona 4 or 5 for a modern turn-based battle system done well though. Between the super stylish presentation and the refined and accessible take on the more strategic SMT combat mechanics, it’s a much more dynamic take on turn-based combat than anything you’d find in an FF game… especially as it’s been so long since a proper turn-based mainline FF game.

Just to point out I'm a South Park fan which is why I stuck through the South Park games any other game I would have just quit once I seen it was turn based. Blue Dragon I think is the name of a game back on the X360 that I thought was going to be good and I was so let down when I bumped into the first enemy and it was turn based I just turned the game off and never played it again.

Persona 5 is an absolutely wonderful game but it's very very slow to start so might be a tough sell for anyone who already finds JRPG pacing too slow, it must be up there as one of the slowest.

Chained Echoes on gamepass is another one worth checking out, it's developed by an indie dev and very much looks and feels like the best of the best JRPGs from the 90s, while incorporating modern sensibilities and keeping a nice brisk pace going throughout too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm with wotzgoingon here, turn based is a stupid system imo, for the same reason; stand there and wait for your turn... And I would have loved to keep playing P5, but I just couldn't warm to the battle system. Strikers is still on my mind to try.

Just finished it on the hardest difficulty the other day

I have no idea how you managed it on hard. I was playing the last while on the last boss and all I can say is f*ck rhythm games. I managed to by the skin of my teeth get through one of the rounds and then a parry with dodge twice set piece and I cannot for the life of me get it and then I die as I had such low health and then have to start from the beginning of that round get through it by the skin of my teeth again and then die on the set piece. And it just keeps happening. I have no idea how I am going to beat this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't mind turn based. It worked well in the South Park games at least. General card games like Gwent (Thronebreaker) and Marvel Midnight Suns were all great too. Hell it's pretty much the entire basis of Pokemon. It's not meant to be realistic or exciting, it's tactical.

My only issue with it tends to be any time I've played a game with that type of system, I quickly fall into patterns of using the same attacks/tactics all the time, and being screwed when that doesn't work for whatever spurious reasons the game throws at me.

Alas there’s not much advice around the set piece parry / dodge bits as it’s just down to hitting those beats - easier said than done for sure! But if you’re struggling to get through the phases to even get to that point…

Equip the chip that increases the drops of battery charges if you have it.

Try to finish combos with heavy attacks as that will increase the amount of reverb / battery energy the enemies drop. You want that so you can…

Use jam combos (when you summon in a companion on a beat hit) instead of special attacks if you’re struggling to build up enough energy for powerful specials. Macaron and Korsica do much longer jam combos than Peppermint so use them if you can. These are invaluable IMO for doing lots of damage very quickly with small energy requirements - essential as there are only narrow windows to deal damage in that fight. Didn’t really use them on my normal difficulty playthrough but were gamechanging and essential for harder modes.

If you can get the one-beat timing down for parry and dodge counters they can be handy to do some cheap extra stagger damage. TBH I still struggle with this at times after playing through the game twice so don’t worry about it too much.

Specifically for the first and third phases of the fight as they’re the trickiest (second phase is just about using the right companion to break the shields so it shouldn’t be too much hassle):

Better to take your time and do small amounts of damage safely than trying to rush to do as much as quickly as possible.

There’s no point really using powerful jam combos or specials until the boss is stunned / exhausted as he shields most or all damage until then. Focus on breaking the shield by repeatedly using Korsica, Peppermint and Macaron’s standard attacks (in that order) and get in attacks when you can. Then do jam combos when he’s stunned to do max damage in a short space of time.

When he summons a big circle around him he’s going to do the lightning fire attack. The lightning strikes always hit on the same beats so I actually found it *much* easier to just step away from the main circle and parry the lightning strikes rather than trying to outrun them. Get the timing down and it’s a super handy way to buy some time to do some good, solid stagger damage.

When he goes into the corner and summons little circles around him (last phase only IIRC), he’s going to do a massive three hit sweeping attack. I found it easier to just double jump into the air and mid-air dodge *just* before the first hit and that cleanly avoids the attacks with time to do some damage.

• Advertisement

A bad turn based system will have you constantly hitting attack but a good turn based system will put a lot of weight behind each decision you make. The persona and shin Megami games have battles that last one or two turns but make the wrong decisions and you have enemies that can easily wipe a party if you aren't paying attention. XCOM as well is constantly about making decisions with each turn that have massive consequences to success or failure. Even simpler games like etrian odyssey will have you make major decisions based on the attrition from constant enemy encounters.

A good turn based system will have you constantly making decisions and will have a lot more strategy than any real time battle system. I would have been of the opinion that no real time battle systems ever came close to the best turn based systems but ff7R and the Xenoblade games have come very close with their hybrid systems.

Advertisement