Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

(((HUGS)))) Hopefully today will be better..

A "bed day" here as staying resting and warm will prevent any darkness seeping in. Tactics are everything. If I add exhaustion to the mix with the CFS.ME I deserve all I then get as I DO know better.

Used to challenge it and the resulting meltdowns were catastrophic.

Long gone are the days when attacking the garden etc sorted things... lol... Older and wiser now.

So more knitting that will sell and feed needy folk,,,, youtube.... make like the cats and snooze. Go with the flow ..Just need to get my feet warm is all...

Not heard from anyone I thought cared in a long time. Makes me feel sad and even more alone. All too busy clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Commiserations Rabble, hope you are doing ok.

I've felt extremely fragile this weekend... and with a busy week shaping up, not looking forward to whatever is in store. February has been rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,330 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Thanks folks, for all the kind wishes. I'm doing alright. Sunday was a bed day, in that I hit the hay around 2pm.I had to be up at 6.30 am the following day, and had an erratic sleep the days before. (I think I got 5 hours sleep on Friday, and Saturday was a busy day, didn't get the full catchup).

Busy day today, but it was alright. Not too stressful.

• Advertisement

Quiet day here waiting for my Meals on Wheels aka Meals on Curragh food to arrive...longing for "bedtime" although never really got up...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Total wreck here. Can't focus on anything. Burned out in work and constant hard problems at home.

Is there no way you can get right away for a day say at weekend? Go somewhere you love that will refresh and renew you?

Me? I am sad. Hard to explain without being critical of others... Which I have no right or need to be. Folk have busy lives and families.

We old folk have often lost all the family we had, and many friends have moved away... Which is fine and right and good,

But loneliness... Not the kind that can be fixed by a club or organised day or event. Just... no one left...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Advertisement

So often we are simply exhausted ...

A time for "patient endurance" that can achieve all things..

Post edited by Graces7 on

I’ve been quiet for a good week or so. 

Was under the weather since the beginning of the month. Had an annoying head cold that also managed to make me pee like a racehorse. (It’s not uncommon, when I get head colds that I tend to urinate frequently. Doesn’t happen when I’m otherwise healthy-weird tangential titbit, I admit). Got a weird ‘brain fog’ too, which other people who’ve had the same cold as I have are saying the same thing. Cough is easing off, at least. Still sapped of energy, but again, it’s common with folks who’ve had the same virus I had, as they’ve told me.

Things, otherwise, have been fine, for the most part. 

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to check my email, or otherwise be engaged online. Constantly blowing my nose and having a ‘snot waterfall’ kept me occupied. And then at the weekend, I was able to check my email, and I got a message that kind of upset me.

My therapist has gotten a new job, and that’s great- it really is. When one person is winning, everyone is, honestly. I’m really glad to hear she’s moving up in the world.

But that means she can’t be my counsellor anymore. And that kind of stings.

Today was our last session. Not my decision, more to do with her new job position. 

The reason this upset me is because she genuinely gave a crap. And at times, it felt less like talking to a therapist, more like talking to a long-time friend.  When other therapists might be flippant about my problems, especially with the sudden loss of a pet, she cared (And I did have someone who was just that flippant, whilst claiming to be a therapist. Has happened on more than one occasion, sadly). She helped me work through a lot of issues. My panic attacks eased off, greatly. And just talking about loss helped enormously. She gave me tasks to do, homework, journaling, that kind of deal.

But today felt like a funeral. Saying goodbye for the final time, silly I know, but I did my absolute best not to cry (and succeeded, thankfully). For once, being under the weather was a help. The coughing, the voice breaking, I hid being upset better than I’d imagine I would have if I hadn’t been under the weather. Couldn’t thank her enough, to be honest.

Still feels like a death. Strange to say, I know. Feels like I’m being overly sensitive on this, but it hit hard.  

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

You're not being a bit oversensitive at all. It's the end of a relationship and as such you're well entitled to mourn that loss.. As you quite rightly point out, finding a good therapist who is properly qualified AND gives a siht is bloody difficult.

So very very sorry. Good therapists who really care are like gold dust, Hoping you are blessed with another

Grateful for this thread as it has led me to understand some issues etc.

I am not depressed; never was. Simply enduring perfectly natural and normal reactions to life events and illness.

Today is very hard due to several issues including the sheer insouciance of our so called " caring" services re certain issues. Even trying to dictate where I lived... They credit us with no intelligence, and i am happier out here than I have ever been..

Why is it that when you are down even worse things happen... It hasn;t "hit" me yet due to that protective " disbelief" protection. When folk we have trusted totally for many years suddenly turn against us... I have no-one left now. My short term memory loss has blotted out details thankfully but it bewilders even more. I did nothing wrong. Of that I am sure. Too old and drained for this life. Just too much. In my small corner alone now. For ever.

Sometimes, at least for me, this can sort of be a ‘mental pitfall’ that you fall into. Like a weird, negative domino effect.

Like one negative thing affects our mindset, then the rest of the things can do so. No matter how minor they would seem in any other situation. Burning toast in one morning would be just an ‘oh well, I’m eating burnt toasting this morning’ whereas another day it’s like ‘CAN’T NOTHING GO RIGHT TODAY?!!!’

Sometimes you have to just 'ride it out', that it too will pass. Other times walloping a pillow in frustration can help.

Alas, my illness makes walloping anything impossible!

Some things are sorted and the kindness of eg the ladies at the far away shop who "pick and pack" my order is more of a help than they will ever know... They add treats to the box as a gift. Sounds a little thing but it is amazingly soothing..They know what I enjoy!

We work on. Day by day and hour by hour.

Today, knitting and youtube abed. Been trying to connect TV etc but the tangle of wires and insufficient sockets has defeated me..... for now.

MAY try again later.... But deeply thankful for youtube. I never had TV so everything is new and I can follow a storyline easily

Still trying to get over this darn head cold. It's really sapped my energy.

Tumultuous week, what with the weather and everything else. But starting to realise the last few years (lockdown and Covid) has reduced my immune system to the bare minimum, and getting sick this time was like my immune system just wasn't ready or didn't have any guidelines on how to deal with a basic head cold.

So the last week plus change, I've been erratically sleeping, seems like every second day I'm dozing off for the day. Hoping it gets lost, because it's really dragging me down.

• Advertisement

lol... My years of pillowf bashing are long gone! All but bedbound these days.. need my limited energy for cooking etc.

BUT that is the problem, that very few have any idea what this is like. Thank you! The lack of their awareness... adds stress to us. And causes both anxiety and depression. Or exacerbates it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

I was supposed to start in the day hospital this morning but I just went back to bed and buried my head. I did ring them to apologise. I will try again another day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It's difficult and daunting, the time will feel right when it does.. Well done on calling them, that was important, don't be too hard on yourself if you can manage it..

Yeah thanks. I am glad I rung them. It gives me another chance on Wednesday.

Please take care and rest. The M.E Association has pages on long covid and the connection with M.E. See online..My long long experience with M.E ( over 50 years now, only diagnosed some 2o years ago, was triggered by a bad flu . As I was in a very responsible teaching appointment I went back to work far too soon. But little was known then about it ll... Let your body recover fully. Pampering and resting... The ME Association web site has excellent knowledge and advice.. ( falling asleep here !)

Jeez. That's interesting. I have been worried about it, because I've found my sleep interrupted so much lately. I don't think it's M.E. I've checked the symptoms, and my symptoms wouldn't fall under that. Long Covid though, I'd be worried about, because too many symptoms do fall under that. But then they also fall under mental illness, so juggling too many possible diagnoses unfortunately. I did have blood tests a while back, but unfortunately didn't tell me anything.

I've known of cases where even a head cold has triggered very serious autoimmune 'shocks', but I know those are exceptional cases.

But I have found my stomach is all over the place. Generally speaking, this wouldn't be too off kilter for me, ,normally. Anytime I've gotten a cold, or a flu, I've often gotten a ticky stomach that can be off kilter for days. I've had that since I've been a kid, unfortunately.

And my stomach's been weird since getting ill. But that can be down to the stress of the last few weeks too.

So I managed to make it to the day hospital today. It helps to write it down so bear with me. I was on here a while back talking about the public v private psychiatric system. I'm out of work 3 months now and cannot afford private anymore. I was in a private hospital for a stay recently. My insurance didn't cover me for the day hospital or anything else. So have been to a few public appointments now and have switched to them.

So had my first day in the public day hospital this morning. I managed to get washed and dressed which is very good. I saw a public consultant 4 weeks ago who was very nice and I have another appointment on Monday which is very good to see them again. There's not a lot happening in the day hospital but I'm going to make the effort to go in and mix. I saw a Registrar today who I didn't expect to see who was helpful. I guess I'm surprised at how good the public system is.

Well effing done, those steps are so difficult and intimidating, also great information for those that might be wavering on things..

Ah bit of a turn around. Third day at day hospital today. It's fairly grim. I don't think I'll be going back. Noone does introductions. The nurses don't even introduce themselves. You're just kinda left there. It's a bit uncomfortable. I left a bit upset and angry today. I'm struggling to find how this is theraupetic. I have an appointment later with the psych and might mention it then.

• Advertisement

It's unfortunately often uncomfortable and even impersonal at times. That's more to do with a lack of staff and overwhelmed staff that are present. At times it's seen more as a stay for one's own safety as opposed to therapeutic, at least in the early days..

Hopefully that'll change in time for you, be brave.

Advertisement