Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

No, it's not a completely fair summary of my posts. You are focusing too much on one single aspect of the points I made.

It obviously is very impressive if you can have back to back wins and defend your titles. And that certainly always was something that was considered important for those great Liverpool sides. But it's not necessarily essential to be considered a great team. It's more about a period of dominance.

Ferguson's teams had those periods of dominance domestically, but they were never dominant for any period in Europe. And you are correct to mention the Barcelona side of recent times. I have been critical of the fact that they failed to defend any of their CL titles, because they certainly had the talent to do it... they fell a bit short in this regard. However considering overall how much they won in that era both domestically and in Europe, and the manner in which they did it, you would have to consider them one of the great teams.

It's also the manner in which you win. Ferguson never built any side, that was capable of doing what that Barca side did to them in those two finals. Both his 2 wins were scrappy and very close games. 2 wins in 27 years would also not be considered good enough, had he been managing either Barcelona or Real Madrid... Also a little known fact, Fergie's team that got outclassed in those two finals against Barcelona actually cost more money to assemble than the Barca teams!

Fergie had plenty of money to spend and a very strong youth system at United, so there is no reason why he couldn't have built a great side that might have been more dominant in Europe. But he didn't.

I do think Clough's forest side should be considered one of the great teams. Partly because they were such a small club, and English football was unquestionably the strongest league in Europe at that time. But I said nothing about that Barcelona side not being on their level. That is just something you've invented yourself to help make your argument look stronger than it actually is...

We've no idea which sides would win from different eras. It's practically impossible to know this. But plenty of people make lazy generalizations about different eras, which are not always supported by anything concrete. And besides, it's about the relative strength you're facing in your particular era.

When Fergie won the treble, you could make a similar argument for why he should have won more CL's with that team. There weren't really any great dominant teams around in the following few years. You had teams such as Valencia who made back to back finals, despite not having the same level of talent or money that Fergie's team had. You had teams like Leverkusen etc, who were useful but not great teams, knocking out United teams that were stacked full of world class talent. Porto and Monaco both making the final one year. So no reason why Fergie's teams should not have been good enough to make some of those finals. But his teams very often flopped at key moments in big games, and his tactics were very often found wanting in those big games too.

Your argument about the standards going up, doesn't really stack up. Should Fergie's teams standards not have been going up too? After all he is considered by many to be the greatest manager ever? If smaller clubs with smaller budgets could find a way to be highly competitive, then there is no reason why Ferguson's teams couldn't at least match their level or surpass it. It's a hollow and weak argument, rather than just admitting the obvious truth that Fergie's teams flopped in Europe at high pressure moments. And this is all part of the test for whether a team is great or not.

The famous game against Real Madrid, where Ronaldo scores a hattrick at Old Trafford. Nobody disputes that Ronaldo was an outstanding player, but what about all the talent in that United team? Fergie had comparable talent to work with, but his teams very often under-performed in key high pressure moments in Europe.

The statistics seem to suggest that the greatest team Fergie ever built, was his last team. And yet this team was comprehensively outclassed and outplayed in two CL finals against a Barcelona team that cost less to build. People will say this is an unfair assessment, because Barca's youth system La Masia produced generational talent in Messi, Xavi, Iniesta etc...

But then Fergie also had generational talent from his own youth system in that treble team, with Giggs Scholes & Beckham etc. So perhaps he should have made more of that talent?

The statistics may say his last team was the best, but for me the treble team was the real lost opportunity in his career. That team should have been more dominant in Europe after winning that treble. Roy Keane never got another opportunity to play in a CL final. Beckham never played in another final... Van Nistelrooy at the prime of his career never played in a final for United etc etc. When you've got talent like that at your disposal, you've got to be winning more in Europe. It was a big underachievement. That generation of players could and should have been more dominant.

I don't even really like being critical of the last part of Fergie's career, because for me he was past his prime as a manager and some of his players like Giggs and Scholes were well past their prime too. But yet he was still producing highly competitive teams. Which is impressive in it's own right. He made it work domestically, but I wasn't really surprised that they got outclassed in those finals. You can't really expect to rely on aging stars like Giggs and Scholes and beat teams like Barca in their prime.

But I stand by opinion. He may have produced some very good teams, that were very consistent and always highly competitive particularly in the league. But he never actually produced a truly great team. His treble team certainly had the potential to be one of the greats of their era, but they fell short in Europe. The facts strongly support my argument.

For me, Paisley did produce a truly great and dominant team. He may have had a much shorter career at the top than Fergie. But sometimes quality is more impressive than quantity. Fergie has a big trophy cabinet because of his longevity and consistency, but he still never produced a great dominant team like that Liverpool side.

I guess some of us are just more impressed by exceptional quality regardless of how long it lasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

We quietly have a midfield selection problem for the game Wednesday night.

Bajcetic should come back in.

By order of default, Fabinho will have to start.

And probably Elliott too.

Because Keita can't be trusted to put the effort in after that half hearted effort the last day. He is the only senior midfielder available that has legs though so he actually needs to be considered again.

Henderson has started the last 4 games, in 13 days. I'm not sure he can extend that to 5 in 19, especially before playing Man Utd a few days later again.

Thiago - injured

Artur - injured

Milner is 37 and is just after playing 90 mins.

Ox isn't even making the squad lately, let alone time on the pitch.

Jones not being trusted to play. Is he even fit?

Fabinho Bacjetic Elliott.

That's our midfield now. Too teenagers and one lad running like a 70 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Quietly????, we've had a problem all season, its just getting worse each week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

Can we please stop all the Fergie and Utd talk? This is the Liverpool thread ffs!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

Your right

We are sh1te right now - it's depressing

• Advertisement

Alot of those problems were supplemented by player unavailability.

There are 8 or 9 players available to play in midfield tomorrow, but the reality is there is only a handful that could actually play there.

Hasn't really though for a while, only Thiago has been out lately, it's really been the poor form of both Henderson and Fabinho that's killing us. Surely Curtis or Ox could play some role, I'd trust Ox to put the effort in, unfortunately I think Kieta can't be trusted to put in the effort. I'd rather have lads putting in the effort even if playing poorly than a lad not being bothered like Kieta. Could we look at someone else in midfield, maybe try Tsimikas or Firmino, I dunno, options are severly limited. I definitely think we should look at packing the midfield to stop teams running through us. We can't continue to keep playing the same formation and tactics as we no longer have the players to do that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I see Jurgen has moved into 4th longest Premier League manager position - probably where he will finish up too. Hard to believe he has been here so long.

Yeah effort is what you want.

Keita didn't offer any the last night, which is rare as he was usually a willing trier I thought. His performance stank of that of one who was told to leave the club and so he doesn't care about doing the hard yards.

Will Ox offer effort when he was probably told the same thing? I don't want to make assumptions as it's not fair on him, but he was likely told the same thing this time last year and basically didn't kick a ball for the club after January bar the odd cup appearance.

Milner you can trust in that sense, even though he is also probably leaving. But he can't play really.

Change in formation is a possibility but this really means playing Bobby (who is also close to leaving) in a more withdrawn role and then this handlers Gakpo as he is growing into that false 9 role. Also Bobby can only play 60 mins.

It's a desperate situation that so many of our players aren't able to do a full 90 minutes, plus the commitment of others is under question, all can be traced back to poor squad management; poor planning regarding recruiting players in areas we are weak and not moving on players when they should. We are are in a very poor situation in midfield and will probably have to hold on to half of them next season as we'll probably only sign 2 midfielders at most, we probably need 4 new midfielders at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Nothing from VAR this weekend for Liverpool anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

It's a Magical place

Unlike our midfield which is where hopes go to die

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

That's not much profit, given our main complaint is lack of spending. I know accounting isn't as simple as money in less money out, but it does suggest there isn't a lot of money floating around for transfers, if we're to remain self funding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Are they repaying much per year for the owners investment in the new stand etc,it seems low all things considered alright , but if the most of the signings are coming to the end of their amoratisement then there's still a big transfer budget for next season.

Swiss Ramble will probably have a Twitter post about it which will go into more detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Repayments to owners for the stadium loan isn't accounted for through the Profit and Loss.

Liverpool V Fulham on the 18th is postponed as Fulham reach the FA Cup quarter final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Need the 3pts tonight big time

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

We on normal telly tonight or am I jumping a plane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

Nope. FA Cup on terrestrial TV and Copa Del Rey on BT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The one night I fancy a gargle...

Sits in corner of pub with laptop on streaming it 😂

Thankfully Nunez is fit enough to start. Might only be 60 mins or whatever but 60 is better than 0.

My fears about a double teenager midfielder duo is true. Hopefully they'll be ok.

Alisson

Trent Konate Virgil Tsimikas

Elliott Fabinho Bajcetic

Salah Jota Nunez

Prediction: 3 all.

Fuck this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You know what, I don't hate it..... I'm done being negative for at least 2 hours. Let the young lads have a go. Jotas getting 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I'm actually looking forward to the game now I see the team. The 2 young guns in midfield will hopefully gel and Nunez starting is a big boost. Having Konate is a big boost also.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Much prefer to see the teenagers than Hendo and Milner though I do not see Elliot as a midfielder as he is not athletic enough. Would not have minded seeing Milner at right back though as TAA with Elliot ahead of him is asking for trouble. Great to see Nunez back and hoping he is through the centre, for all the abuse he has got which I don't understand, I think he will be massively important in anything we achieve in the next few years, going for a 3-1 win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

U19s through after penalties against Porto in the uefa youth league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Can't be any worse than the weekend surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Got a bit messy after they won,doak with a bleeding lip, hopefully there won't be any issues over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Christ, Wolves are coming close

Stevie B is involved in everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

• Advertisement

That’s the most movement I’ve seen from Fab all season but the end product was brutal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Such a soft pass by Fab, needed to ping to to Nunez for a tap in

We seem to have a man-bun overload on the left hand side.

Hopefully we can capatalise.

That pass for Fab was the sign of a man seriously lacking on confidence, absolutely no conviction in it what so ever!

Wolves press high with 5 at times, and yet we still try to play out, one kick from ALisson and we take out 5 wolves players, geez, go long

• Advertisement

Soft yellow for Bajetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Ref hasn't called a single foul all game and then gives a yellow for that

Paul Tierney being Paul Tierney with that yellow card lets see how he follows that up now he has set the standard

Ref giving a yellow for a first foul, and at the edge of their goal, wtf

That's the same Paul Tierney who famously let Rodri away without caution after giving away no less than 7 free kicks away in a game earlier this season!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Tierney is firstly an incompetent referee, he hates Klopp who made him look like a fool, the yellow was a ridiculous decision as the foul was on the edge of their box but the energetic almost xmas day like fever of a child that he brandished it was the high point, he is such a %$£&^&&

You must’ve used every symbol on your keyboard apart from a full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

We really do just play with no ideas, passing around the back for nothing just to lose the ball

Like Saturday, it's two really poor teams slugging it out.

Wolves getting away with so much time wasting

• Advertisement
Advertisement