Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10kWh LifePO4 DIY Battery Addition..... Here is my write up.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fael

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shazbot1

Did you order off PWOD? hoping to order soon but prices still varying.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

I got 16 no. 280ah cells from pwod. Didn’t get anywhere with a comprehensive dispute on AE. Cells were very closely matched at 238ah and have been performing well. I am happy overall but wish they would advertise them accurately. I paid €1950 before Christmas.

Nyon are €2387 for 230ah cells.

I think the next time, I will consider ordering from Nyon as I did find the whole AE experience stressful. Just my opinion.

My views are my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Even if those Nyon cells are 100% capacity as advertised, you are willing to pay nearly 30% more for them than the capacity you actually got from AliExpress because you find it stressful?

I'd rather take a bit of stress if that means loads of extra capacity for my money myself 😂

It is a fair point.

I see on the small print on Nkon that they say if you test their cells and one is out of line with the others they send you, they will replace it. If they all test similar but low, then they won’t as they argue that it may be your test procedure or equipment.

I still have some doubts over my own test of the pwod cells and without investing in more expensive equipment (which I don’t intend to do) won’t ever be entirely sure.

Anyway, it has been a great experience building the battery and seeing it earn its keep. Building your own will save a tonne loads.

My views are my own.

• Advertisement

That's exactly why I don't really care how big the capacity of the cells is, as long as it isn't taking the complete p1ss. These cells are not A graded. Those would cost a lot more per actual capacity. And the less you pay per kWh of your battery, the quicker the payback of your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Clf

I've just finished testing 16 cells from PWOD, advertised at 180-190ah with an internal resistance of 0.2-0.5. Results: 1 x 102, 1 x 114, 6 x 117, 3 x 125, 5 x 132 with an internal resistance ranging from 0.34 -0.92. All over the shop!

I tested them at 40A, PWOD have asked me to test them again at 10A, they say that's what the factory tested them at. I presume they are trying to run down the dispute clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭munsterfan2

If you arent happy open the dispute, OYE got me on that on my first order, & 8 were similar to yours, 4 were particularly bad. Once no dispute opened nothing can be done.

For second order of 4, I just went straight to dispute after 1st interaction with PWOD. Received a partial refund.

I got no where with my dispute unfortunately.

It looks like their prices have gone up substantially? These cells are now €2249

It appears that PWOD are about 6% cheaper thank Nkon

Has anyone here experience of Nkon?

My views are my own.

I also bought some 280ah cells from Docan Power on Alibaba two weeks ago, they were delivered in 5 days from their warehouse in Poland. €0.49/ah delivered, same as what I paid PWOD (based on 185ah). They told me they would test between 275 - 285, so far I have tested 4 and they are between 272 -274 with an IR of 0.2.

• Advertisement

The higher the amperage you test them at, the lower the tested capacity will be. You will also need to have some very decent test setup, not to lose a lot of capacity into heat into your cables and equipment. Test them at 100A continuous and I doubt any of your cells even makes 100Ah!

Afaik official capacity testing is usually done at a very low C rating. Way lower than your 40A divided by the 180-190A official rating

You could chance your arm and start a dispute of course, maybe you'll get a partial refund.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Price per ah/wh is king.

The docan cells sound good. Could be the ones that could be used going forward.

A 16s2p of them would be about 27kwh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That is worrying, I have plans to go from 32 cells to 64 but my current ones are near full capacity as advertised (through discharge measurement), I wouldn't want to "dilute" my pack with those low cells

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Those Docan cells are aluminium wrapped cells like EVE though? These can easily bloat and are far less sturdy than the CALBs that most of us prefer. I'm the loudest shouter in here that price per Ah / kWh is king, but I am willing to pay extra for the sturdiness of the CALBs

I tested a couple at 20A and got the same result. I am also testing some 275ah cells at the moment and achieving 272ah. Most of these cells are rated based on a discharge current between 0.2C and 1C at 25degC as per the datasheets. The 10A test current that PWOD want me to test at is .05C which will probably give a slightly better result but nowhere near 180ah.

You only need to test them at the speed per the spec sheet. If that is 0.2C, then testing at 40A was fine. Fair play. How is your test setup though? Do you use very thick and very short cables, or preferably bus bars from the cell to your tester? And I'm not quite sure how good those $30 AliExpress testers are, or if they are even acknowledged by the seller / manufacturer to be acceptable testers. I've one sitting here myself but not used much yet. And I presume you test from 3.65V (charged up until amps are zero) all the way down to 2.5V?

Yes they are EVE LF280K cells. I agree there is no comparison on the structure but once they are well protected I don't see any issue using them. Could also clamp them as specified by EVE (300kgf)

I have the 40A ZKETECH tester - the same one as a recent post here, i haven't checked the cable but its either 16sq or 25sq. I use the bus bars to get better contact and it also allows the voltage clamp to be connected directly to the stud.

16mm2 would have considerably heat losses with 40A, even with a short cable. Just for the craic "off grid garage" style, could you run the same test on the same cell at the same speed with it connected to the tester with short copper bus bars or at least 35mm2 cable and see what the difference is? Would be very interesting to find out!

I'll have a look at the tester. The cable is connected with a multipin connector, will see can I get it off. Off grid garage is enjoyable, he has run some good testing.

• Advertisement

Yeah what I like about him is that he is happy to put any (preconceived) ideas to the test and he is unhappy until he has explored all possibilities and has some clear test results. Was surprised myself about the outcome of his busbar test!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I have the EVE cells from Docan in a 16s2p and have had no issue. Not tested the capacity but I would expect them to be very close to the 280Ah they were sold as. BMS showing over 570Ah for the pack but I don't know how it calculated this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Mr Q

They are EVE cells Docan sell so they are the aluminium ones.

Once they are put together I don't see the issue of them being softer. I'm not planning on moving them too often.

Also based on plenty of capacity tests online one Docan EVE cell is close to two CALB ones, so fits in smaller area if that is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭PCDub

I've bought 4 drop-in replace Aceleron Lifepo4 batteries from NKON and they are first class to deal with.

Will be buying from them again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭munsterfan2

With my poor OYE cells and the 4 replacement cells I have to get from PWOD I spent 1608eur on the 20 cells, with 16 in use. Of the other 4 one was completely useless under any load, will keep others as spares if same happens again. Seplos is giving me a capacity of 122ah, so approx a 6kwh battery.

NKON are offering cells 280ah cells at 2361eur*, without the hassle of 3 months delivery and not knowing what level of battery you are going to get. If I expand over the summer I will be purchasing from NKON (or Docan if there is some more positive feedback).

*NKON B-Grade Warranty

"B-grade cells are cells usually did not qualify as A-grade by the manufacturer. This may be due to optical imperfections, higher self-discharge, lower capacity and/or higher internal resistance. Unfortunately manufacturers don't tell which aspects or aspects are the reason to mark a a specific cell as B-grade. We have sold several and get seldom negative feedback. We tested several eve B-grade and one had about 2% lower capacity, the other ones we did not find a difference with A-grade cells. We don't advise B-grade for high performance electric vehicles but for home energy storage they will work fine. In case you get one which performs significant less than the others like lower capacity, high self-discharge or fast wear we will replace it. Take care that we don’t put a lot of trust in a simple test of a single cell, if you buy 16 cells and you test them and they are all 6% lower than expected then your test gives to low results. If you buy and test 16 and 15 cells give you 100% and one cells gives 5% lower results then we will replace one. When we buy cells the cells are tested for voltage and internal resistance. Also a couple of every batch are tested for capacity, and if one gives less than 100% capacity we test the whole batch and discard the bad ones or don't buy the batch at all. Lot of seller in china buy B-grade cells, test them, even swap qr-codes and sell the good looking and performing as A-grade cells. We believe our B-grade cells are the same as lot of A-grade cells from China, including the well known resellers there with good reputation. We give regular warranty on these cells (at least 2 year)."

That comment from NKON does sound reassuring. Written by someone who speaks English (natively) too for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Has anyone used OYE for cells on aliexpress? They seem similarly worded to pwod but are cheaper. I've got some assets maturing in a couple of months and I intend to use them for some cells to replace my dyness batteries.

EDIT: Link:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004869758958.html

OYE and PWOD have been the recommended choice for cells on here for years. I think someone recently did some digging and discovered there is one and the same company behind both of them?

I got all my cells from PWOD.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They are half the price of PWOD cells at the moment. I hope it stays that way.

$1500 per each 16 cells. Not bad. I can see me getting to 16s4p quite quickly if those are the prices. (Thanks to a helpful tip from a boardsie, changing the price to USD makes everything cheaper too as Ali like to make money on the forex)

• Advertisement

$1500 is about €1440 or so going out of your account here. That's not bad, but not particularly cheap either. I got my last batch delivered yesterday, ordered 2 months ago for €1350. The best you can hope for these days is about €1300 (in one of the sales) but €1400-1500 is ok if you don't want to wait for a sale, could be a few months in between sales sometimes

Advertisement