Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Looks open enough at this stage Kerry don't seem to have raced ahead of the pack after the win last year which many thought might happen .We are still in the hunt especially with our best available. Might get a pointer after next week facing a tough game up in Derry and Navan facing a poor enough Meath team but they should be up for it in their own ground .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I think that we'll be better during the championship, but even so, that performance should have alarm bells ringing.

Kerry seem to be having an almighty hangover. Still expect them to be sorted for Championship time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Dublin have no chance of winning the All Ireland this year and wont be winning it again for a long long time , they are going in the same direction Cork went unfortunately , please god Dessie walks this year and the long rebuilding process starts .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Unfortunately its not nonsense , open your eyes Dublin are way down the pecking order , no new talent coming through any time soon

• Advertisement

We will suffer a bit when the rest of the players who won all the All Irelands move on. James McCarthy, Fitzimmons, Kilkenny, Rock, McCaffrey, Mannion, Small dont have much time left and we don't have anywhere near the same talent coming through and we may struggle for a few years then but as long as these lads are on board i think we'll always have a good chance of winning the All Ireland.

I don't see any team hammering us anyway. We may come out the wrong side of a narrow defeat like last year. That's how i see it anyway. Time will tell.

We have proven winners and quality all over the field. And a sprinkling of fresh blood like Gannon. We won't be far away this year.

Not with Dessie leading we wont , those proven winners are on there last legs .

They may be on their last legs but their still better legs than 99% of players out there.

Ah now really ? Dublin are a division 2 team them tired legs wouldnt be able to compete in division 1

• Advertisement

While the chances of us winning are slim enough we can't be totally dismissed but we will need an awful lot to fall into place for us to do so .We have to get our best out on the field playing well for the crunch games the new lads this year won't be good enough against the better teams .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

That was more of an issue 15-20 years teams bringing in outside players. Most top Dublin teams would only have a couple country lads. Judes have 7/8 lads but only 3/4 of them played inter county.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Not sure if this is serious? Dublin lost to the all Ireland champions last yr by a point without their best player.

Not a hope 14 players from country on Judes senior team. 7/8 lads at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

Shame to see a low turnout of supporters for the hurlers. As soon as the football started the number of supporters increased substantially.

Hurlers have a small support base plus always difficult to get people to stick around for two matches it's too long for a lot of people to stay for over three hours in the ground .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

This year's championship will be entirely different. Dublin should win Leinster easy enough, unless both Meath and Kildare can carry out a dramatic transformation.

They will be top seeds in a group of four. Now they will have another provincal finalist they might get lucky and get the loser in Connaught but if not they are faced probably with either Cork/ Kerry or an Ulster team. One of the teams number 3 or 4 will be either another Ulster team ( it's a given that Donegal, Tyrone, Armagh Monoghan Derry will be in the last sixteen) or one of Mayo or Galway a d the same with Cork and Kerry.

Unless they get a really kind last 16 draw ( Connaught runners up and maybe Westmeath) along with a D1 team could face a group with maybe two Northern teams and maybe Cork

Have they the squad dept to weather that. I personally think they will struggle to top there group unless they get the weak draw and could even then struggle. The old legs will face 3 games in probably three weeks ( 4 weekends) and if the fail to top there group a preliminary QF the weekend after against a third placed group team at best. Then they face into a QF proper against a potential group winner one like Galway, Mayo ( who will probably not be in a group together) Derry, Armagh, Tyrone or Kerry.

Dublin need a kind group draw( Connaught runners up, Roscommon D1 team and Westmeath) to really conserve those old legs.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

Agree and we still have Comerford, Howard, Bugler, Murchan, Mannion and Paddy Small to come back and push for place in starting 15. Michael Mullin, Andy McGowan and Theo Clancy from Crokes should get run before end of league.

McCarthy, Fenton, Kilkenny and Rock will be only guaranteed starters from that list. Expect Jack Flash and Mannion to be used from bench come championship.

O'Sullivan, Millst, McEneaney, Waddick, Breathnach, Smith and Tyrrell from last u20s involved in senior set up with Theo Clancy to come in. Lorcan O'Dell and Brian O'Leary involved last year need to push on. Ross McGarry playing better this year.

Others lads like Adam Rafter, Eoin O'Dea and James Doran all Na Fianna would be involved only for injury.

• Advertisement

Dublin 2023 League Stats

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

We appeared to switch tactics away from recycling the ball endlessly from wing to wing to a system of direct running through the middle and it worked for the last 15 minutes. Was it a switch from the sideline? Was it just desperation? Was it on-field management of the game? Was it a tactic being worked on in training but being held back? I don't know, but will be interested to see moving forward.

We definitely changed tack all right proberly a combination of the things you mentioned but against a better team we would have been goosed.Derry match while not the be all and end all might give us a pointer to which way we are going it's a short enough season so am hoping for a bit of form soon enough .

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

Hi folks. Quick question.

Which club in Swords would be more a hurling club? My partner and I will hopefully be buying a house there in the next few nonths and I'm looking to play junior.

Also, i was playing with another Dublin club a couple of years ago but havent played with them in 2 full years. Do i need a transfer or am I good to go?

Lastly, will even jumior comps be played mostly in the second half of the year due to the season split or will it start soon?

Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

You will have to transfer if you transferred to the other Dublin years ago. Can only transfer the first week in December.

League started last weekend. Championship will begin in August.

I thought there was a rule tnat if you haven't played in 2 years you can move where you like, no?

The 96 week rule.

I still think you have to transfer. Did you transfer to the other Dublin? Can transfer outside county anytime of year. Just put your Galway club on transfer form and should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

, don't know, wouldn't know much about them maybe he was on about the extended panel and junior side

It seems to be a slightly growing problem by the sound of things

I know over the last few years a lot of lads playing in club championship down here used to train with a club up there was there a rule they could play league games for both but not championship

Advertisement