Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

Happens all the time. It's probably best to serve official notice to cover your own backside but let the landlord know that you might need a bit of flexibility around the date. Landlord will have it rented out within a week if its in good nic, just keep him in the loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭This is it

Rang the landlord this evening having signed contracts this afternoon. We were stressing over nothing! He said congratulations, if you're delayed it's no issue just pay weekly and try give a weeks notice before we actually move so he can move furniture we had removed back in and get it cleaned. We've set a closing date of March 23rd so hopefully we're sorted around that date. Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Calculator123

Well done. Most landlords are decent human beings, many with children or relatives in the same position as yourself. They understand. A minority give the rest a bad name.

I had the same with my landlord. No issue with staying until the house closing date, whenever that ultimately arrived. Very sound and flexible but we were good tenants for years, so it's a two way street.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

That's great news - really pleased for you! Ha, I love 'Law Dog', sounds like she's a proper rottweiler, let her rip!

I've hit my first possible bump in the road - running through the questions for mortgage protection insurance, lots of 'do you have / have you ever had X, Y, Z etc.', flying through them going 'nope nope nope nope oh actually er wait...' Something v minor that I have an open referral out with the HSE on (which I'd pretty much given up anything happening), but they may not insure me until there's a resolution on that. So now I'm in the hands of the public health sector, yikes... A-chasing I do go..!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Got the request from the bank to do their valuation this morning.

On it it says to check the address on the title deed matches that given on the form. I guess this is very important seeing as we now have Eircode's and as its a 1940's terraced house this might not be on the title deed? Did you have this issue with your valuation?

I just emailed Law Dog to ask her anyway to be sure.

Wow that's a big concern all right considering the state of the health service. If you have health insurance will that help you out?

I have a kidney complaint Nephrotic Syndrome I was in and out of hospital for the first 8 years of my life quite regularly. However I am 34 now and haven't had any issues since in 26 years. I presume I wouldn't have to disclose this does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Question for people currently going through the application process. How are ye finding it?

are most institutions all online now? Do they still request in person meetings and so on? Do they look to meet both people involved or is it just a case of getting a signature and moving on with things etc. same questions goes for brokers.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

I never met anyone in person. A few phone calls when something urgent came up but it was 99% online. This was with BOI, via a broker.

Solicitor is the only person we met and that was to sign contracts

Brilliant thanks. Just I remember the first time back in 2016 they wanted us both in to confirm stuff and sign things, can’t remember what, but that was grand as we worked close by but we work an hour apart now so getting any sort of time to go to any bank would be hard! So all online is huge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 dubliner10

The developer we are sale agreed with has refused to add the “subject to loan” clause in our contract. Not great times to be a buyer in this market.

Post edited by dubliner10 on

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

I'd be surprised if the Eircode not being on the title deed is an issue - there would be loads of houses where this wasn't the case, they should be able to cope with that.

When I ran through the medical questions for the insurance, there were some questions of 'have you had X in the last 5 years?', and then a lot of 'have you ever had X?' My natural leaning is to be honest (because you don't want to give them an excuse to withhold payout later on), but if it's 26 years since you had any issues, they'll add that to their notes to the underwriter and I'd assume you'll be just fine. As for me, yep, the private route is the fallback if needed, or ask my doctor to cancel the referral and come back to it after the house purchase goes through. It was all going too well so far, had to be one or two hurdles!

Getting the survey done on Friday, am going to meet the surveyor onsite, which I haven't done before, but thought it would be handy if we could talk over any issues he finds with us both there so he can point them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Hi,

Just wonder has anyone came across an issue we're having with BOI. We're close to the sale closing but before they issue the funds they're looking for the solicitor to confirm that the council will eventually take charge of the estate. Our solicitor seems very reluctant to do this and has passed it on to the vendors solicitor. Any advice appreciated as this has been incredibly frustrating.

My current timeline is thus:

10th February - Bid excepted

13th February - Sale agreed

Then had a bit of a lull as I was waiting for my formal AIP from TSB.

20th February - TSB offer

28th February - Valuation performed/submitted to the bank.

1st March - Changed my TSB current account to Explorer account to facilitate the mortgage payments.

My broker who has been very good so far said to expect the formal loan offer early next week.

My solicitor who also seems very good has said to wait until she has the contracts to perform the pre purchase survey (I have this paid for and the company said they can do it within two days notice).

The solicitor has had a bit of engagement with the vendors solicitor to confirm the exact address on the title deeds for the survey and got a fairly speedy response so I guess this is a good.

I guess my next step is to check in with the lawyer again tomorrow and tell her to expect the loan offer early next week and ask how she is getting on with the contracts?

How is this stacking up with everybody else timelines?

Similar timelines to myself. We have loan offer with PTSB, we have contracts, survey, etc is complete, there's an office/garage out the back that's exempt from planning but apparently needs a cert so we're waiting on that.

Pretty sure that's it, sign contracts, drawdown, get keys... Simple 🙂

Fair play, when are you hoping to move in by?

Well I don't have contracts yet.

Gonna contact the solicitor tomorrow to see what the timeline is there.

It's my dream to be moved in by May. Told my landlord yesterday but he is very sound so not worried about that.

By the way thanks to everyone on these threads, it's so reassuring having people to talk to and so great you are all here for moral support.

Seller didn't put a closing date. The house is empty so we're hoping by the end of March, give or take a week would be fine. Gave notice to our landlord as well, thankfully he said he only needs a weeks notice.

Yeah, these threads and some FB groups were a great help. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

Currently selling our house and the buyers had their surveyor around this week.

Pretty sure the surveyor is going to raise a slight encroachment issue with the neighbor's extension where they've effectively built onto the party wall, but probably encroach onto our side maybe a couple of inches.

This was also raised when we bought the house 6 years ago but we were happy to go ahead anyway considering the fact that it was so small and wouldn't affect our day to day life in the slightest.

It's an old house in an old working class area and there are many higgeldy piggeldy extensions and outbuildings built in the area where this issue would be common I'd imagine.

Can anyone advise from a conveyancing point of view how common this is, and whether it can scupper sale agreements or do solicitors generally just raise it but advise it's not worth pulling out of a sale if the buyer is otherwise happy to go ahead?

A

Bank valuation was done on Tuesday.

Got my life cover sorted Thursday.

Solicitor got the contracts yesterday and I have the full structural survey next Thursday.

Provided there are no snags I could be aiming to be in by mid April surely?

Excitement is palpable.

Everything was going perfect for us and then hit a speed bump. There's an office/garage built out the back which is exempt from planning but apparently we need a cert for that. Estate agent had said on the first viewing that the seller had this already.

Turns out he doesn't and he's not happy about having to provide one. Such bull. We presigned the contracts 2 weeks ago now but our solicitor obviously can't send anything back until they have everything we need so it's a waiting game at the moment.

We had a closing date of March 23rd but not sure about that now. At the beginning we had set our expectations that we'd be in by Easter, I'd prefer sooner but it is what it is, just need to keep the pressure on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did any buyers recently receive a gift from the parents? How did it work exactly, did your bank just let you walk up to the counter and deposit 50k? Is that even allowed? How do you even get that much to your solicitors/the sellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭blarb

Thargor, bank transfer was how we did it before, into the solicitors account. Maybe a cheque/bank draft either? If they're giving it in cash I'm sure you can get the solicitors bank account details and maybe just ring the bank ahead of time to let them know in advance, but I can't see why they would have an issue with it. They may ask the source of funds for anti money laundering prevention purposes, but that's about it.

Edited to add an apology for forgetting to quote (I never seem to remember!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LunaLoo

We did 4years ago. It was paid direct from parents to our solictors account. The parents had to sign a form to say it was a gift and they would have no stake in the property or expect any repayment.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭okeydokeys22

Can Any sellers give me a guide how long I'll be waiting after ordering title deeds from PTSB (formally Ulster Bank)

They were ordered beginning of march, praying they'll be quick.

A question for people who’ve just sold their house.

when it came to receiving funds from the sale, how did that process go? Did you have to inform revenue and so on. I know you don’t pay tax if the house is your principal residence but do you still inform them or is that your solicitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Done through solicitor, with a Deed of Confirmation from my parents solicitor.

BOI were a stickler, and it wasn't even very much!

We've stalled a bit. We signed contracts 3 weeks ago but solicitor is holding them until the vendor provides a cert for an office/shed that was built out the back. It's small enough to be exempt from planning permission but our solicitor wanted a cert to confirm apparently.

Vendor arranged an engineer a week and a half ago but still no further update. Does anyone know what needs to happen here, does the engineer produce the cert themselves or is it sent to the council, or something else?

We had a closing date of March 23rd but that's not going to happen now. Really hoping to be in by Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Streco80

Went through this process recently. Parent went into the bank and transferred it into my account with a note on it re: house deposit. I had already advised the Mortgage company and Solicitor that it would be happening. Signed the papers for the house last week and my Solicitor gave me a Deed of Confirmation for my Mum's Solicitor to sign with her. She had to book in for a legal consultation with her Solicitor as they are obliged to make sure she understands the legalities of it etc. Form was sent back to my Solicitor the next day which in turn will be forwarded to the Mortgage company. Nice and easy process

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

We finally got our deeds… 296 days since the seller accepted our offer!

is this a record?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

Advertisement