Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As heartbroken as one could possibly be........

• 02-03-2023 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Deleted

Post edited by Hannibal_Smith on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The paternity test isn't your decision to make. That's up to your partner and the woman.

So you either have to accept that he doesn't want to know now but may or may not in the future and decide if you can live with either outcome.

It is not your place to make him face up to his potential paternity. Only he can decide that.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Chillybilly342

Surely it's ok to want to know before I try to get pregnant though no? It would then be my childs sibling :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭emo72

She doesn't want him to be part of her or the childs life. I'd get on with your life. You've no way of controlling what happens in the future. Make your own plans and enjoy your life. Don't be worrying about other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭emo72

Well, you can want to know, but it's not your choice. I think it's a small blessing that she isn't interfering with you or your partner, wants to be left alone to live her life. Really, you should do the same. Have your own children, live your own life. It's only a problem if you let it be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭marilynrr

You'd be mad to try to get pregnant right now, there's a high chance this other baby is his and he knows that but he doesn't seem to be that bothered about finding out.

• Advertisement

He was bothered about finding out but she has him convinced its not his now and I guess he has accepted that :(

I'm pretty positive about my theory though......that its his child and she for some reason does not want him to know.......

Stressed about what her long term plan is though.......is she gone for good?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

Of the 3 parties you seem most intent on the "truth" when it's really not your place. Her request for you to leave her alone regardless seems very understandable. You're way too involved and deeply deeply insecure about all of this and that must be pretty unsettling for her. She'll have enough stresses in her life right now without all this.

You're looking to "beat" her by having more kids with him which is truly bizarre. She's a random younger woman he had sex with when you weren't together. Why have you turned this into some baffling competition? She clearly wants no part in your lives.

A good question to ask yourself in such situations is "what if you're wrong"?. And then what would it say about you if you were wrong?

Please leave this poor woman alone, don't push her for a further test and go and seek help for your own issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭airy fairy

The other woman has made it clear, whether it's a true test or not, that your partner is not the father. Sounds like she has repeatedly said this and wants nothing more to do with your partner.

Step away from it now. It's not your business. If she wants to come back in years to come with child on tow saying it's his, then so be it. It shouldn't matter, if by then, you've another 3 kids with this man. If your relationship is secure, then they will deal with the other child if it ever came about.

Worry about your own situation now. How committed is he to you? Is he desperate for a child that he can call his? I think this is what you need to examine. Are you secure in the knowledge that this man will stick with you in the event you cannot convieve a child between you? I think you need to discuss this and this alone with him. Forget about the other woman and child, for now, that's parked. If that ever comes about again, it's not your business anyway.

You seem frightfully insecure. You need to be having conversations of the future, not the past.

Deleted

Post edited by Chillybilly342 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Jesus you should be running hard and fast for the hills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

can you think of a time when having a baby helps resolve a relationship like this? do you think that this would be an appropriate environment for a child? you start off being unsure of ever having a baby, and then within a paragraph or two, move to talking about having multiple kids that you always wanted. If you think this is what you deserve in life then go for it. Remember back to when you were a child, did you dream of having a very unstable relationship with a recovering addict- is that the limit of your ambitions? The world is a very big place, this is the ideal time for you to go and experience it.

you mention t's like the future I planned for myself has died - is it really the future you planned, or was it the future you were being dealt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Glaceon

As hard as it may sound, I agree with @lawred2 here, even putting aside the other woman and her child. You should look into why exactly this relationship has been so on and off for so long. I know you mentioned his addiction issues; has he had help to overcome this and is it likely to be a problem going forward? Don't have a child with this man in the hope that it makes the relationship more stable as it very possibly will not. It sounds like he's the one pushing it anyway.

Put yourself first. Get help if you need to, there's really no shame in it.

The man I’m talking about has finally gotten his **** together and is off drugs and has turned his life around more then I ever could have anticipated he would. I’ve wanted a baby for a long time and considering how well he has done this past year I would be thinking now is the perfect time to finally start a family together except that I’m pretty confident he already has a child so now I’m not only wanting a family to compete with the other woman. I wanted a family with him already and if a real DNA test proved he wasn’t the father I would be over the moon. I’m right free DNA testing does not exist in Ireland? So her results are clearly fake and if she has nothing to hide why wouldn’t she let him pay for a test when he offered?

Deleted

Deleted

Thanks for the responses though 💔

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

On the off chance that you are just being overly dramatic in your post and you are nowhere near ending your life, then you've two choices: stay and get ahead of your feelings on this or leave and find someone that you know hasn't fathered a child and start a family with him. You DO have choices, but the solution you want - where you want a living human to be unrelated to the man you are with is not something you can change. So focus on what you CAN change.

If this is making you genuinely suicidal then you need to seek professional help that's way beyond what an internet forum can provide for you.

• Administrators Posts: 14,332 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

My husband had a daughter when I met him. He wasn't with her mother. They never lived together. They were never a "family". We have 4 children together and my children or our life together aren't less just because he already had a child.

You are assuming an awful lot. You are assuming her due date (unless she told you specifically). Birth date could be anytime before and up to 2 weeks after due date. Pregnancy is considered 40 weeks. But that's 40 weeks from the date of the woman's last period. Not from the date of sex. So you counting back and thinking the dates coincide could be way off. Maybe she said the test was free because she didn't want to take any money off your bf. Maybe she just wants absolutely nothing to do with him.

Also, I assume you are adults. As adults 8 years isn't much. So worrying that he's going to run off with a "much younger woman" is a fruitless exercise. In a few years she's going to be the same age as you are now. Will you still consider her a young woman then? If so then you are a young woman now!

Hard as it might be, none of this is any of your business. You have no right to demand anything from this woman. She wants nothing to do with your partner, and she certainly doesn't want to be dealing with his on/off girlfriend.

You need to decide if you can accept the situation for what it is and move on together. Or if you can't accept it and you simply move on. Have you ever been to counselling? You've been in a turbulent relationship with an addict for 10 years. That is going to take its toll and you are not going to emerge from that unharmed. You need to get yourself some emotional and mental health support. Then you will be in a better place to make decisions based on what is actually right for you, rather than "winning" or proving a point to someone who has zero interest in your life. This woman doesn't care if you ever/never have children. It's nothing to do with her. She won't be responsible for their upbringing. They won't be financially, emotionally, physically dependent on her. You need to get your head clear and make decisions for yourself without bringing other irrelevant factors in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Maybe ask yourself why she doesnt want him involved in the childs life if the child is his ?

Because she doesn’t want her kid playing happy families with me? Also my partner doesn’t want to be with her……so maybe she wants a fresh start without any baby daddy

• Advertisement

I don't imagine she would forego maintenance just because she doesn't want to play happy families with you.

Maybe the issue isn't with her but with your partner. Why were ye on and off over the years?

You need to forget about her and her decisions, it's not up to you . Sort out your relationship and if you want children or not

Deleted

Maybe she did... You simply don't know. And regardless of whether the baby is his or not, it's irrelevant to you. She wants nothing from him. She wants nothing from you.

You seem to see babies as some 'weapon'. You think this woman is lying about paternity of her baby, missing out on maintenance to which her baby is fully entitled, all because she doesn't want her baby in your company? Maybe that's true, but maybe it's absolutely nothing to do with you at all. Then you want to have multiple children just to "beat" her? Children aren't a commodity. They're not objects to be used in some imagined battle with an ex. They are living, breathing, dependent humans. They are babies for a very very brief time in their lives. They quickly turn into expensive, dependent teenagers and sometimes dependent adults. I have 4 children and we pay the equivalent of a mortgage every month on various activities and expenses. Not to mention navigating difficult emotional mental health situations that comes with having teenagers in this society.

Unless you cut out the immature "competition" with this woman then I would really question how suitable you and your partner are to the long haul that is parenthood. It's not easy, and it gets more difficult. You need to focus on you. Only you. Not this woman. Not "beating" her in some imagined contest. She wants nothing to do with you or your partner. Back off and leave her alone or you might find her contacting the Gardaí and reporting harassment.

Get yourself to your GP and counseling before you seriously consider getting pregnant. You really don't sound like you're ready yet. You did the right thing by not getting pregnant in the last 10 years with this fella. Maybe hold off another few until you're both in a more stable frame of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭89897

I feel like you're assuming a lot. How old is the kid now? Either the kid isn't his and that's a win or it is and she wants nothing to do with him and that's a massive red flag. Shes 8 years younger than you so that's 25 now so depending on how old the kid is she was very young having a baby and i cant imagine her giving up maintenance and help just to annoy you.

Is this really the environment you want to bring a child into. Its fantastic hes doing well and off drugs this past year but a year is no time to be in recovery and planning something as big as a family. On top of this, you're 33 you still have loads of time

Deleted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Why does it bother you so much? If the woman wants nothing, and says she wants nothing to do with your partner, she says the child isn't his, then what do you want? Force a paternity test?

You've said your partner has moved on, why can't you?

Tbh, there's no way you should be having a baby in this frame of mind while she circles inside your head.

And again why do you think she doesn't want him involved ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This is the biggest red flag for me. If the child is his, she's going to a lot of effort to deny it and keep him away from the child. This woman is 10 years younger than your partner. Let's assume she's 25 - you said the child is 18 months old, plus 10 months of pregnancy. So she was about 22 when he slept with her? She was very young and I'd really have to wonder what her view on the whole thing is.

Deleted

• Advertisement

Maintenance is not linked to access in any way. She can apply for maintenance from a father who never lays eyes on his child.

He has let it go. She doesn't want anything from him. You cannot know for certain that he's the father of her baby. If he doesn't want to pursue it, and she isn't pursuing him then just move on.

As mentioned above you do have choices here. You do have options. If being the mother of his first child is so important to you, and you seem pretty certain that you're not, then your options are walk away, or accept it.

But I will say it again and can't stress it enough, you need to talk to someone not connected with this situation. Because you are not in the frame of mind right now to make rational decisions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement