Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations 2023 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

Rather have Scotland with the wind knocked out of their sail than coming away with a win from 19 nil down and high on confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Scotland really are their worst enemy, no composure at key moments. Russell can be magic, but I feel his mania is too infectious at times, players doing stupid things. That linout move they butched looked like a replica of the one Earls scored from a few seasons back

• Registered Users Posts: 14,447 ✭✭✭✭cson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭KH25

That’s Russell in a nutshell. Fantastic at his best, but too chaotic at his worst. If he was more consistent he would be some player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Scotland put some great phases today but are very porous in defence. France going forward at will at times It seems like Scotland play their best when trying to scale back a seemingly impossible lead

to date I think Ireland have tried to keep ball in play a lot against teams and not kick for touch. I wonder will we go for territory a bit more against Scotland. Not a massive shift but just putting the nudge on every now and then to avoid counter attacks where defence not set.

it seems like Scotland is the only team the media don’t look at critically. Always adding to finnsanity and Scotland hype despite their actual results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Confirmed Anthony Jelonch done his ACL and could miss world cup for France

• Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Positively neanderthal I admit.

Look I'll happily watch a bit of camogie but if I wanted expert analysis of Cork ladies v Kilkenny ladies, I'd look very sceptically if Eddie O'Sullivan came on and gave his spiel on the game or even John Mullane. Because neither have ever played camogie and have not experienced camogie.

Ditto for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Capuozzo reported to be out for the rest of the tournament. Wales are blessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭standardg60

Just goes to show, injuries are going to be the foremost cause of progress or lack of in the WC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I do see your point but Ian Smith was a cricketer for NZ before moving into TV. He is widely regarded as the best commentator in the sport. However he also does a lot rugby work as well. Never the main guy on comms but sideline work and sometimes the host. And he is very good. Funnily enough he actually said he was very nervous for years when it came to rugby as he hadn't played it.

Sorry for going completely off topic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

"expert analysis"

But she's not an analyst or pundit. She's the host. The one asking the questions of the expert analysts and pundits. Who happened to play camogie in her personal life.

To me, how she handled the Chris Eriksen cardiac arrest incident speaks to how much of a pro she is, tbh.

Yes, she is the host and the role is to frame and guide the contributions from any panel. To be convincing in that role, the viewer or listener has to have sort of belief that the host knows of what they talk. Of course, you could have a male host for a rugby game who has never played professional rugby but the viewer/ listener can more easily suspend belief. When you have a woman hosting a show about men's sport played at the highest level, it's just staring you in the face that they couldn't possibly have any experience of what they're trying to interrogate.

Likewise as I say if John Mullane was hosting analysis of a camogie or ladies football game, it's be totally unconvincing. Render under Caesar that which belongs to Caesar etc etc

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So women should just know their place and not try to do a mans job?

And men shouldn't be bothered with "womens" things either because , that's just not right..

That's an unbelievable pre-historic and ridiculous viewpoint to hold.

Even if we set aside the clear misogyny it's an utterly ridiculous viewpoint to hold.

So were Bill O'Herlihy or Tom McGuirk or Daire O'Brien crap as well because none of them played the sports that they were presenting the shows for??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Na, not buying it. It's no more convincing, say, Joe Molloy played professional rugby that Jacqui Hurley tbh.

And tbh, if you think you need to have played professional rugby to know what you're talking about, I'm not sure a rugby forum is for you.

I never said anything about 'womens jobs' and 'mens jobs'. I'm simply commenting on an obvious credibility problem. A host has to have credibility in the eyes of the viewer/ listener. There's nothing misogynist about that at all. I have the greatest respect and interest in female sports commentators and hosts when they cover sports that they have detailed knowledge of and experience of. Not particularly into the horses but I hear Katie Walsh, Nina Carberry giving expert opinion betimes and I know immediately that they have the inside track and are very credible.

I've played rugby at schools level but that would be the limit of my experience. I wouldn't have a clue about the realities of modern professional mens rugby and whilst I may have personal opinions, they'd be worthless as any sort of host or pundit. Ditto for Hurley - she couldn't possibly have real hard learned insight into what's going on. It's as simple as that, no?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The example of Nina Carbery or Katie Walsh is meaningless as a defence, they are pundits not presenters.

The discussion here is about "Presenters" not "Pundits".

A Presenter has absolutely no requirement to have any background in the Sport , in fact the vast majority don't - They are there to act as the MC for proceedings.

If you think of every single long term Sports presenter in Ireland , not one of them has a background in playing the Sports they cover.

Bill O'Herlihy, Tom McGuirk, Michael Lister etc.

You said "Of course, you could have a male host for a rugby game who has never played professional rugby but the viewer/ listener can more easily suspend belief."

So you are saying that you could pretend that they met your requirements more easily if they were male.

So , you don't think a woman is as competent as a man , even if the mans competence is a self-imposed "suspension of belief".

I hate to break it to you , but that is an almost textbook definition of misogyny.

This nonsense is off topic and a bore started by someone that likely has a chip on their shoulder they aren't going to admit which reflects very poorly on them.

Moving on, the New Zealand coaching debacle really is out of hand. Feel bad for Foster despite his record and I'd wonder what impact this is going to have on their preparation as once a name comes out the media will move on to calling for that person to start before the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If you think of every single long term Sports presenter in Ireland , not one of them has a background in playing the Sports they cover.

few enough of them even stick to one sport. They are contracted so brought into host a wide variety of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

It seems the NZRU felt that they had to respond to remarks made by Robertson about his future.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭standardg60

In defence of Furze (to an extent), i do find it annoying when a presenter is clearly oblivious to the sport in question and is basically reading out pre-arranged comments for the analyst to do their bit. Rte coverage is dreadful in this regard.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

You don't need to be a good rugby player to be a good rugby host, two completely opposite skillsets. Like many things in life you can have skills and experience that compliment each other, but more often than not people are very good at only a handful of things which is why there are so many crap former player rugby pundits out there. Plenty of tech illiterate CEO's out there doing an amazing job running tech companies.

Hurley played at the highest level in not one but two sports. She boasts a sporting resume that most sports commentators wouldn't touch. It's a ludicrous criticism and to my mind one likely with more questionable motivations.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

6 Nations really needs Wales back at a high level.

It's probably the weakest 6 nations we've had even though it's the best Italy we've had.

I don't think Scotland are all that at all. They beat Wales and England, who are at their worst for a long long time. Wales in particular are shocking. They lost to France, albeit a positive loss as you can have away v France though I think France are keeping things up their sleeve for the world cup.

I think it'll be a contest over there, but we'll pick them apart with our quality and I'd expect a win of at least 12. I think we'll get the bonus point.

I then expect us to beat England for the GS quite comfortably. Borthwick is taking them back to the stone age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

One of the hosts (can't remember his name) on Virgin during the RWC in 2015 (I think) was like that. No matter what the pundits said he just asked the next question on his cue card. No follow up, no asking to expand further. Made for a really disjointed conversation and crappy coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I'd argue some of the Six Nations we won under Joe were the weakest collectively as a group. France weren't at the races for a long time, Scotland or Italy either.

Great to see Italian rugby on the rise now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I love how teams "are keeping things up their sleeve" for the world cup!

Sure Joe Schmidt was the master at it....

Complete spoof talk.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

I genuinely believe that France are having an "Ireland 2019" moment at present.

They have peaked too early , they just look tired and outside of Dupont and perhaps Penaud they have been worked out by teams.

The rest over the summer and the lift from playing at home might off-set that but if I were a French fan I'd be more than a bit nervous.

Advertisement