Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party ministers jetting off for Paddy’s Day.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I agree that the U.S is important for the Irish-American relationship, but do we really need to send 3 "Green" ministers to places such as Dhaka in Bangladesh?

Certainly I would think that no one outside the East coast of the U.S gives a fook about St. Patrick's day and don't we have Diplomats/Ambassadors in the various countries/regions around the world who could attend events globally on behalf of the country?

Just 3 of these "Greens" will be responsible for 11,000kg of Greenhouse gas emissions, not to mention they'll be chauffered around in fossil fuel burning vehicles... Which is absolutely justified because they can just offset the polluting emissions by having the Irish taxpayer pay what I can only assume is €10's of thousands into a tax fund...

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

You are aware these are not chartered flights for the Green party and they are flying commercial?

Ireland has one day a year when we can push these types of conversation, when we can put the benefits of workgin with Ireland forward over other countries etc. We should maximise that. Not just send John because he is down the road. That would be an insult to the people in these countries especially if we are trying to set up relationships/trade deals etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

What are you on about, a scheduled or charter aircraft still uses Fossil fuels, and the fact is that the "Green" ministers carbon footprint will amount to Tonnes of Co2 for each of them...

Again, what are you on about? "John down the road?" I mentioned sending highly experienced Diplomats already in region to go and represent Ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That would defeat the purpose of bringing in neutral non national poll watchers wouldn’t it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not more neutral than say, Ireland.

Silly thing to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

It is actually a boarder line cult

They Greenwash the hell out of things

It's strange that the biggest changes the Greens have made have resulted in the most "Un-green" outcomes

Blanket Emissions Tax on CO2, rather that tax on the fuel you use - This resulted in more polluting Diesel Cars being bought than ever before.

Privatization on waste collection - We've more dumping now than we've ever had before (This happened in 2012 officially after they were wiped out in the general election in 2011, but they'd started the ball rolling on that well in advance).

Cycling Policies have resulted in Dublin being one of the most congested cities in the world (Although the greens not totally to blame for that)

Finally, E10 and Net Zero Carbon by 2050 have potential to cause serious problems, E10 causes engines to run slightly hotter, Newer cars can cope with E10 but older ones might not fair so well even if the Manufacturer says they can.

Couple to all that, there's the infighting within the Green party itself. I'm still amazed people voted for them.

Ireland accounts for 0.11% of all the CO2 emitted, we don't need a green party

• Registered Users Posts: 6,989 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Maybe if they directed the money and energy travelling abroad towards planting more native trees then everyone would benefit.

They are again going to be the whipping boys for FFG. They really are not playing their cards right. History repeats so quickly in Ireland these days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The Greens don't actually want no one to ever fly anywhere. They want to encourage people using greener options when possible and to stop dependence on fossil fuels.

Its not inherently hypocritical.

• Advertisement

Ireland accounts for 0.11% of all the CO2 emitted, we don't need a green party

We're 0.06% of the global population

(Dublin is one of the most congested cities in the world cause too many people drive into it, not cause of "cycling policies")

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Cycling policies are the reason Dublin is congested. That's either supremely stupid or trolling.

Having lived in Dublin my whole life and commuted via car, bus, train, bicycle and motorcycle from the suburbs on both sides of the city my whole working life, I can categorically say that it's 100% traffic policy and design that's behind the congestion issue.

In fairness I do not know who's driving the policy (I'd imagine its green focused), but that policy is definitely there to deter people from driving into the City Centre by making it slower/difficult get there, and its definitely working to a degree, there are fewer cars in Dublin City Centre, however now traffic around the suburbs is nuts.

Traffic evaporation is a myth, it just backs up somewhere else.

We're burning more fuel as of Dec 2022 than ever before. (168k barrels, we were are 153k Pre Covid), which implies that Green Policies aren't really working at all.

Green washing polices from the Green Party do not work. There's an awful "that'll do" attitude from them.

Like I'm all for Public Transport, I'd never drive my car into town. I moved close to a rail line having experienced how crap public transport is away from rail. Improving Public transport should be at the very top of any green agenda and with our green party it's not. They're an awful party.

Post edited by Beta Ray Bill on

So why don't they get the Ferry and High Speed Rail (If travelling in Europe)?

It was good enough for me back in December 2022, why can't they do it? (cheaper and more comfortable too might I add)

Because a ferry to continental Europe takes an entire day?

If it were an option I would very much encourage/mandate it.

I take your point. It does take a long time to get there. (Time management is key)

It would be nice if we had a more modern/more weather capable version of the HSS. (That would be a "REAL" Green policy, Ferries and Rail are the greenest way to move People and Goods)

lots of research says traffic evaporation is not a myth. have a look on google scholar, loads of published academic papers on the subject.

often the reason traffic is worse in some places is because more people than ever have cars and are choosing to drive even when they have other options. it's also down to awful planning and FF/FG ignoring public transport since the foundation of the state. vote green if you want this to change, they're at least trying to improve things now. hopefully can count on your vote in '25!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Green Party are going to come back with either one seat, or zero in 2025.

It won't quickly be forgotten than in times of rising costs and runaway inflation, that the Green element of government insisted on penalising consumers with additional taxes, duties and levies, on home energy sources over which people have next to no option to change, instead of aggressively going after generation sources that have a smaller carbon footprint in the first place.

And do not come back and tell me that they are doing both, because if they were, we wouldn't be looking for emergency fossil fuel generating capacity and be facing brown-outs in the system.

The Greens are deluded, dogmatic and damaging to the economy and society.

If they want to fly abroad for Paddy's Day, let 'em strap on sets of wax wings and set course for the centre of the Sun.

The well off urban elites who vote Green like me don't struggle with these rising costs so they'll still get our vote. It's not like the poor "ruardle Ireland" brigade struggling with not being able to heat their country mansions with turf or oil, or fill up their 3 cars with diesel because of Eamon's taxes were voting for us in the first place. I think you might be surprised in the next election, may get a few seats, may even get in Gov again because we're willing to do business with any party to get in Gov, gives us a chance to get a few things over the line like we're doing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I love how this thread and the Soc Dems one are fully of posters saying that these parties are going to be wiped out in the next election - but it's clearly more of a dearly held desire than an objective prediction.

90% of the voters didn't vote for either of those parties in the last election. So all of you saying how you'll never vote for them etc. Well you're in the majority (same as the non-voters for any other party are). Guess what, they don't need your votes to get elected. They need to get some votes sure, just not the ones of people driving themselves into a fury, writing messages complaining about them on this forum. They can safely ignore you, safe in the knowledge that they'd just be wasting their time when there are plenty of other people other there who are interested in their policies - even if you despise them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So you don't think both are under massive threat from Sinn Féin?

FG, FF and SF have the advantage of the seat bonus that comes with scale. A third large force of approximately equal size is very bad news for the Green, SDs and the rest.

The SDs still have some time for Holly Cairns to impress, to come up with a distinct policy platform and to either align or distance themselves from a talented Labour party representation. As I said before, they can either hang together, or hang separately.

I feel myself that the fate of the Greens has already been decided, by themselves.

I thought the post was clear, you couldn’t understand so best to leave it at that

nuclear power will never be in ireland for a number of reason. The astronomical costs of building a power station alone would stop it even if they could find anyplace in ireland that people would allow it to be built

nothing to do with the Green Party

What have greenpeace got to do with anything? I'm not familiar with them being bribed for anything but it's about as relevant to our own Green Party as some neoliberal politician being bribed in Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

An election in some country thousands of miles away in which you have to fly and cause loads of emissions, is more important than climate change then?

There's no neutral people in America? Should I be worried about Irish elections considering Irish people manage the polling stations...should we bring yanks over?

And do you really think O'Reilly is neutral anyways? We all know who the greens would vote for in the US.

What anti science policies? If you mean nuclear, why haven't FFFG got nuclear sorted? Why are you putting this on the 2% loony green party?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Green party has no connection to Greenpeace.

Greenpeace is not funded by oil companies.

Advertisement