Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

200 Twitter employees reportedly just laid off, and this Tweet from Musk "Hope you have a good Sunday. First day of the rest of your life." One senior product manager found out by discovering he was locked out of his mails.

Not sure whether it was you or another poster claiming they cared about Twitter staff, apparently much more so than the new CEO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Cordell

Wasn't me. I never claimed that because I really don't :)

What I care about is the return of professionalism and proper work ethic in the tech industry. Stop the we are a family BS, stop caring about useless perks like spa and vegan buffets, and start doing what made this industry great once - work hard and innovate. Be a feking engineer again, not a Jira driven code monkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,637 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well Elon focusing on his "strong meme game" is as anti-professionalism as can be.

If that's what he does internally then sure, but he isn't. What we see on his public Twitter is not what his employees see. He didn't build Tesla, SpaceX and Starlink from edgy memes.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

He didn't build any of them at all. He bought them.

• Advertisement

I wasn't aware that all these 3 were already established successful enterprises before he bought them. I mean, Tesla had no product and no plan before him, but that doesn't mean it wasn't doing great already.

What do you think, other than money, he added to any of them?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

To be fair , certainly in the case of Tesla he's a great marketer of "vapourware".

He will announce that they are just about to launch the coolest thing the world has ever seen and then spend the next 3+ years pushing the launch date back over and over again because in reality they were nowhere remotely close to having an actual product ready for launch.

It works on some levels in that it probably lights a huge fire under the development teams (for better or worse) and it fires up the market place and the stock price while people wait for the actual product.

His problem is that that approach doesn't work for a software company.

He can't show a life-size lego model on a stage and pretend like it's a real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,428 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

it certainly doesn't work for a well established software company.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The always entertaining Wendover Productions did an interesting dive into Tesla, and how it has squandered what at first looked like an insurmountable lead it had within the EV market. Basically: a big factor claimed by Wendover is Tesla ignored the pickup market, allowing Ford et al to catch up with Tesla. With Tesla's own suggestion, the utterly monstruous Cybertruck, still remains vapourware.

Now, I think that rationale is a little flawed, cos it assumes Tesla's focus was the US market at all times - whereas I'd speculate the global car market cares much less for pickups, especially in other affluent parts of the world. If Musk wanted global domination then why would he care about Pickups?

Still, while not explicitly about Twitter, it's an interesting examination of why and how Tesla burned through its lead and goodwill.

Now, I don't necessarily agree with its conclusions 'cos it's deeply US centric -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Let's not also forget he made his engineers at SpaceX change the nose of a rocket to be more pointy because he's a genius engineer himself who worked tirelessly to calculate the optimum shape of the nose of the rocket.

No.... wait.... it was because of a joke in The Dictator.

The famous tech CEO talks about the Starship casually on Twitter, and now, it brought the topic regarding its design inspiration from "The Dictator," focusing on a "pointy" rocket from the movie. Now, he admits that Gen. Aladeen and the film were the inspirations for its current design, which pays homage to the satire flick.

In a past interview with Joe Rogan's podcast and YouTube talk show, the tech CEO said that he told the SpaceX design team and developers that he wanted the rocket to be like the one depicted in the movie. In the same interview, Musk also admitted that there would be no difference if the rocket were pointy or blunt.

Musk added that it made the rocket "slightly worse" for its pointy design.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Jira is pretty damn important. From an operational perspective having tools to track changes and releases is massively important.

Okay, I stand corrected. He brought both money and bullshit with him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

To be fair the core point of the video has been echoed in this thread already. Tesla had a lead in the electric vehicle market and its lost it. You can buy similar vehicles from competitors for a similar or even cheaper price. These competitors due to have been in the motor industry for decades have also a far more developed customer support infrastructure. Its not just limited to pickup trucks.

Teslas current market valuation is based to a huge degree on faith in Musk and not the company's current capabilities. His Twitter adventure has not got off to a good start particularly at a time where Tesla needs someone's full attention as competitors begin to match and surpass it in the EV market.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No, I accept that; I suppose my reasoning for sharing the video really centred around its argument a big lapse in Tesla's strategy was ignoring the pickup market - which given those types of vehicles are basically extinct over here (in terms of the giant monstrosities beloved by Americans), I hadn't really thought much of. Coupled with whoever the F the Cybertruck is aimed at??

Continuing to prove that the super rich apparently have absolutely no taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭kerplun k

C’mon, you can go a day without JIRA. Personally you know what projects you’re working on. there’s tones of stuff you could be doing. Sure the SCRUM masters might get the day off, but anyone else missing a days work because JIRA is down is laughable.

SCRUM masters might get the day off

No, they get the opportunity to do a day of honest work. Scrum master is normally a role, lightweight by its core definition, not a full time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭francois

Twitter having issues again today, the slow death continues

• Advertisement

Really depends on what you're working in. I work on the operational side and in a previous job we used jira service desk. Monitoring alerts created tickets. Without the tickets someone would have to start eyeballing monitors.

When i was working RCA's all the issues came through jira. Customer incidents came through a jira-salesforce interface. If jira went down, then there's effectively little customer support, no incident management and problem management is non existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,637 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I can see why Elon and his fans dont value it. Customer support and problem + incident management are all not needed in their eyes.

And he gutted the operational staff and got the dev's that were left to focus on product development.

This means that minor bugs can end up as big bugs. Big bugs occur more often and quality of the product lessens. Then there's the infra issues that are bound to occur. Apparently he gutted the NOC. Short term it's going to lead to lots of little minor "blips" in performance. Longer term it will lead to more and more outrages

There's a certain type of tech bro that sees operational work as unnecessary. they just focus on dev. You see it in other industries too. Ficus on the "talent" and strip away all the support staff without realising the only reason the talent can do their work is because all the support staff are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 40,428 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

More outages this evening; stability of the service seems to have gone completely out the window - or is it simply Musk has drawn more eyeballs on the company? Maybe mass arbitrary firings wasn't the Big Brain move after all. Certainly don't remember "Twitter is broken" being reported this often, to this degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭francois

Panorama expose interesting but nothing surprising in it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,360 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Almost like Twitter needs more than just a skeleton crew to keep the site running

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Do you know who Brianna Wu is? You probably do.

An absolute melt.

Post edited by Dyr on

Advertisement