Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT Delays - Advice

• 05-01-2023 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭

HI All,

NCT is due at end of January, earliest booking I can get is July/Aug... how are we menat to legally drive the cars if the service to NCT them is backlogged for 7-8 months?

Any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

In the same boat ourselves. Only noticed the test was up in Jan and earliest was June.

Have booked earliest appointment and plan to continue as normal. The NCT set up is a joke it should be rolled out to garages to try clear the back log. I could have the jeep in for DOE next week 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Put yourself down on the cancellation list.

Exact same thing happened to me but if you're fairly flexible with your availability you should get sorted with a booking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Book at next available date, print out out the booking form and stick it in the disc holder.

Same boat here and lots like it around the country, some centres seem to be covering much larger regions than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭homosapien91

Happened to me last year, NCT was due in July couldn't get an appointment until December so put myself down on the cancellation list and got an appointment within two weeks so thats your best bet

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I kept checking online fairly regularly before mine was due in October and a reasonable date showed up after only initially seeing dates for well into 2023.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭mct1

From NCT website:

"The available appointments that customers see online only represent approximately 1/3 of the actual appointments available for that time. NCTS will open the full capacity or the remaining 2/3 of appointments two weeks ahead when we finalise our schedules and know what staff are available that week."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

As with all the advice on all these NCT threads.... Call them. You could get an earlier appointment that way or be put on a cancellation list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Also when you call them if they don’t get you an appointment within 30 days then you get the test free of charge.

Turn up first thing any morning or late evening with your booking and details and ask them to fit you in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Really?

didn't know that.

it’s still written in the customer charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I called just at the end of Dec and was told I'd have a test date within 28 days, due in Mar, and their customer charter still has a free test if not offered with 28 days.

We aim to ensure that the average lead time for an appointment at an individual NCT centre is less than or equal to 15 days. You will be provided with a test, free of charge, where an appointment cannot be offered within a 28 day period, unless any of the following apply:

you have previously accepted or requested an appointment outside of the 28 day period.

you have failed to attend an appointment; or

you have declined or rearranged two or more appointments;

you have made specific requests regarding suitable days, times or dates;

an appointment was offered 7 days or more prior to the test due date;

the test is overdue by more than 7 days at the time of contacting us;

COVID excuse are no longer acceptable or valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I booked recently, was given a date months and months away

Put in a request to be put on the cancellation list, specified the center I wanted, and that a sat morn only.

Got a mail back, within a few days, had my test at my preferred location on a Saturday morn at 11am.

Bingo, simples.

Now, if you contact them about the 30 day thing... They will find you a test day and time.. it might not suit you, and if you decline that, well, tough titty, get to the back of the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Rang on Tuesday morning here as it was due on the 3rd. Totally forgot about it. They gave me a slot later that day. No problem getting them when you ring up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Where are you talking about. I've rung them every year and never get one.

Mullingar on this occasion. Had openings in Athlone within 3 days, and Tullamore within 4 days. I'd say I got a cancellation that hadn't been filled. Rang around 10 on Tuesday morning and test was at 4.50pm then the same day

That's kind of a critical detail to leave out.

Like **** it is. No mention anywhere else on the thread of any location. The whole thread is about delays, not delays in any particular centre. Furthermore, you ring NCT directly and ask for appointments in your preferred location.

That's why it makes no sense. Ye aren't taking about the same queue. But ironically ye are giving estimates for particular centres. Point is there are little to no delays in most rural locations. You can just ring up and get one the next day.

Dublin and anything nearby, and in other cities, have about 6-7 month backlog on their waiting list. Just Russian roulette if you get one from the cancellation list, or priority booking or by phone. These delays have been going back years. Long before even the problem with the lifts COVID or anything.

• Advertisement

Well the NCT on my car is next May. I looked up booking in October, nearest date was middle of May. I booked. It's a week or 10 days after the due date. It was the closest date available for the 3 centres I'd mentioned. "Rural" locations have delays of months and months. It's not an urban/rural issue. It's an NCT issue.

What queue was the OP referring to? It's not mentioned. Just NCT queue in general, which we know is per centre. My example was that ringing them could land you with a test on the day you ring. It was pure luck of course but nonetheless, can happen.

The best course of action if you need a test within the next 6 months is to ring them and tell them the score. They are very helpful and will try sort you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

Just drive on lad !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

If you pass by your local centre pop in and ask when is the ideal time to find a cancellation. In two cases it was suggested to me to call about 12.15-12.30 as a tester may be free for the last slot before lunch.

I'm due a test at the end of the month and hopefully its the same (currently booked for Aug 8th - but I work near the centre)

There was only a 3 week waiting list in Dublin before Covid

I think considering they said 7-8 months, you can make a wild guess.

From 7 years ago...

and lolz

Issues with the online booking system are also going to be addressed.

One member of staff at an NCT centre confirmed that "there is a major backlog with tests".

Lots of different excuses, but the same poor management. Its been a shambles forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭glen123

I filled in their form online a week or two ago and got appointment emailed to me for 23rd of Jan while online available appointments were for June-July onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭glen123

Limerick.

When I was looking at dates online, it gave me an option to fill out a form if I needed the appointment sooner. Have you tried that for your local center?

When looking at dates, at the bottom of the page it'll say the following and there will be a link to the form to fill in with your details:

"If you are unable to obtain an appointment at your chosen Test Centre then please contact our call centre or  It is your responsibility to ensure your vehicle holds a valid NCT at all times."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Kilkenny, Carlow, Waterford, Cahir, Youghal, Athlone, Mullingar, Castlerea, Tralee, Ennis, Charleville, West port, Tuam and Ballina all have appointments for January 10th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

But that's bit Dublin.. we all know thats all that matters.

If it's not a Dublin problem, it's not a problem.

I'm on cork, the next date available was about 4 months out, send an email requesting a cancellation for a weekend morning, got a reply bean within 47hrs, for a test in 3 weeks, at my preferred location on a Saturday morn.

The system is completely fûckéd up and a shambles, but you just need to work that shambles to make it work for you.

Organized kaos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

It's not that hard to get a test if you put a bit of effort in. I tested about 12 cars last year and never waited longer than 2 weeks for an appointment. The testers are useless,the test itself isn't good enough ,the booking system is a shambles, the nct as a whole is an absolute sh!tshow

I didn't realize Ryanair did the NCT bookings. Need one in Dublin. So they set them up in Cork or Tralee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Booked mine back in September 22, due in January 23, the online system gave out to me initially that I was booking too early, I ignored the warning & went to the next step, earliest date was in May. Dundalk Centre.

Only for knowing that there were delays I would have been put off booking by the warning message, lots of people could be falling for that one.

Yes I'm aware that I could have gotten a free test if I rang up instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I find logging into the NCT website at around 11 or 12 at night is useful. I generally see spots for regional towns within a few days.

I just did it now and saw a few places for the 10th of January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I had to late cancel an appointment within the hour before I was due to be there. Because my car wouldn't start.

Rang central number out of courtesy, and a lovely person got me a reappointment within a week, with a few days and times to choose from. And no cancellation fee.

So ring them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

"Disappointing" is when you order a cod and chips from Burdocks and it arrives cold, the government have a tens of millions a year contract with these clowns and they are failing to provide the agreed service level agreenment on the contract or anywhere near it, they should be stripped of the contract and/or be charging the customer less for an inferior service. They know each year how many cars are sold, it's basic maths knowing how many cars to expect from new at the NCT every 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Rang in 20th December to book in Jan 11 for Louth test centre. At the time I was told that the next available was in July. I was put on the priority list. The guy said I had to give a prefered time and if during the day or evening? I said during the day would be better but did not mind...

Now under the charter it says if after 28 days you get a free test from the time you called them.

I called today as it was 35days for an update. The lady said I would NOT get a free test or I would have to challenge it as I requested a certain time... now bare in mind the guy at the end of the phone would not put me on the priority list unless I requested a time!! At the same time they should be able to fit us in during the day.

They are trying to get around giving free tests.

I asked her to give me a booking and she said she could not. I said I prefer to have a test date than nothing as over the 28days. She said next available was OCTOBER!!.

The Government signed another 10years in 2020 with this company. This is madness.

• Advertisement

I couldn't get a date and I've been looking for months. The phone support wouldn't put me on a list until I was within 2 weeks of my due date. So I just filled out the online form. That was months ago. In fairness got a sms last week for a date this week. So got sorted in time.

Dunno why it's so last minute every year. It's swamped every year. Why can't I book a date now for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Mine is due in April, rang 2 weeks ago and got a date in Feb but had to cancel it today due to unforeseen circumstances but was able to get another slot in early March.

Maybe I was just lucky both times I rang them or else Ballinasloe centre might not be as busy as other ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Hi admin. I posted this first in the nct sticky so can it be deleted from there please.

I applied for nct in November 22. Got a date in late may 23. So 6 months wait. I queried with nct about a free test as outside 28 days window. This was the response. Dates have been changed etc.

Thank you for your recent correspondence. I understand it is your contention that the test fee should not have been applied. I will attempt to clarify this matter.

I can see that your NCT appointment was booked on the 01/11/2022 for an appointment to take place on the 28/05/2023.

The NCT have in place a priority booking list. If there is no appointment available within a four-week period, you may add your vehicle to the priority booking list which ensures your vehicle will be tested within the 4 weeks. A notice is displayed on our website at the time of booking which confirms the following: ​ “If you are unable to obtain an appointment at your chosen Test Centre then please contact our call centre (01-4135992). It is your responsibility to ensure your vehicle always holds a valid NCT.”

On review of our records, it appears that this option was not selected, and you subsequently accepted a booking for the 28/05/2023.

The NCT Customer Charter was developed to ensure a quality service for our customers with recompense by way of a free test if an appointment cannot be provided within the four-week period. In this case, regrettably NCT has not been afforded the opportunity to provide an appointment within the 4-week period.

Based on the above, regrettably, I can only conclude that the test fee was correctly applied on this occasion.

I appreciate that this may not be the response you had hoped for, however should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me.​

Kind Regards,

TBH. I cant even remember seeing a priority option.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Arnout

"quality service" 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭ec_pc

Came across this message on the NCT website today when booking a retest. Ridiculous carry on that they only make 1/3 of possible bookings available on line. Surely they are contracted to deliver a service that consistently delivers. I'd love to know what penalty clauses exist in that contract for this service.

To me it seems they are holding test slots back so that they don't breach their charter. Almost warrants a complete ground up review.....

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

I checked my local centre and the first available date was September.

If I take it, and get tested then, it will be over 6 months past the current cert's expiry date.

Does that mean I will end up with a new cert that is only valid for about 5 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭mykrodot

just ring them and you'll get a test appointment within 2 weeks, no point in stressing and speculating about cert expiry date when its completely within your power to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

As the other poster said, ring them and they should be able to put you on the priority list.

• Advertisement
Advertisement