Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Garry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

He’s 24 years old and has only had nine fights.

Was a Cage Warriors champion after seven fights running through them with five finishes.

He is in one of the best camps in the world with a lot of the top ranked UFC Welterweights to be learning from.

Some of his talk feels forced and is cringey but he’s seen the blueprint laid down before him. Staying quiet doesn’t get you pushed, look how long it’s taken Arnold Allen or Leon Edwards to get the credit they deserve. The UFC clearly like him putting him on two numbered ppvs so he should take advantage of it while he can.

Talk of top 10 fighters is ridiculous. Give him decent match ups and a few years to mature and develop his skill set. It’s great for us to have another Irish fighter in the UFC to root for as it’s been slim pickings for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The "but you're talking about it, so it's working" stuff is old and played out. Proper barstool stuff.

At the end of the day, us talking about him is not going to go any way towards him being able to back up what he is saying.

Us talking about him is not going to stop him being pulled apart by the Khamzats, Colbys and Usmans of the world.

In his mind, he's the next Conor McGregor. In reality, there are 3-4 people talking about him on a thread with 60 posts in six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Anyone any thoughts on how the fight the weekend will go ,

Bit mad that Ian see's himself as the next " McGregor " and hasn't been a peep in this thread since April .,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Nothing “mad” about it. It’s completely expected that he isn’t nearly as relevant as McGregor. Not nearly as skilful, and waaaaay too forced in his carry-on. And he never makes the front pages of the papers, but that’s a blessing, not a curse.

I wish him well though, hope he can carve out a decent career for himself. I’m 99% percent sure he’s a significantly better person than McGregor (it’d be difficult not to be) so he has that going for him at least.

It says it all though that I didn’t even know he was fighting this weekend until this thread was bumped, and I’m surely not the only one.

A good win for him,

Done well against a very tough guys

One thing what's the crack with the new name i thought the wife's surname was Lee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

She's Layla machado Garry now, he's Ian Garry Machado. They'd make ya sick haha

The UFC obviously like him.

I like him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

McGregor tweeted him last fight saying ya little daisy and he got a daisy tattoo'd on him pmsl hes not playing with the full deck hes to be pitied.

Strange she was always Layla Ann Lee

Her ex husband name is Cullen

Wonder why all of a sudden Machado became her name

He's a great prospect but seems fans haven't really taken to him, Very little engagement about him anywhere on social media, Even here very little posts after another win,

Actually most of us just wondering about the name change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Something to do with her other kid and they all wanted to have the same name.

TBH he comes across like somebody doing a bad impression of James Gallagher, he wasn't like that 2 years ago. He was brash but not terribly cringey the way he is now. Rogan did him a huge favour by not interviewing him after his win last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,493 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He's a very smart fighter, using his strengths and avoiding the opposition's strengths. He has a good team in his corner and he listens to them. It'll be interesting to see how far he gets.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Would Gallagher have gotten the events and headlines if he didnt talk the way he did? More than likely not, that's why so many fighters do that now. Garry's still a young lad so is still finding his feet here.

Also he'll struggle to make a fan base in Ireland like the previous Irish fighters have because he's not based here. A lot of those guys came up together and arrived almost as one package. The guys that have come after are coming by themselves and that's going to be a lot harder.

He hurt his marketability I think by leaving Tom and Chris, he's obviously in a fantastic gym now but he lost that Irish attraction to him like McGregor had by going to the US. McGregor still has that thing to him where he lives and trains in Dublin, a global superstar but Irish all the way so you will have lads taking out loans to go see him in Vegas and sing Ole Ole Ole.

I think its more to do with his personality to be honest,

He's like a pound land McGregor with the stuff he says & then there is the cringe fest with this missus,

It's like he's the first lad to ever have wife the way he goes on , but you can bet your last Euro that because she wants it that way

Poor chap comes across like he's got Stockholm Syndorme

It's interesting that he goes on about family. I think it'll appeal to lots of casual fans if he can maintain a 'clean cut' image. It might make him a lot of money.

So how long we reckon before Gary is giving a live top 15 or 10 opponent

Looking at the rankings ,he will have a very hard time getting a win, t ,

Guys like Brady , Rakhamov are only scratching top 10,

Wonder boy ( nearly time to give up) might be a good bet for the first big name for him to face or Magny ?

I think they'll take their time with him and build his reputation.

3-0 in the UFC and still only 24.

I suspect another 2/3 fights and he'll tuck into the top 15. I think Dana will ease him in as I think he sees $$$ in him.

All progressing well, by the end of 2023/start of 2024 I could see him dusting off the likes of Jingliang, Magny, Chiesa.

Stylistically, I think himself and Wonderboy would be a great matchup.

I'm thinking 2 more fights and then someone washed up but a big name like Robbie Lawler. Beat a legend, get that profile up then start hitting the top 15. WW is pretty average outside the Top 5 so it wouldn't be a huge surprise to see him pick up wins against ranked opponents.

• Advertisement

Brady & Rakhamonov are 10 & 9 and would absolute merk him .,

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think any top 15 fighter beats him at this stage.

First post on Ian in 6 months not quite the McGregor he thinks he is,

I see he has fight v Spng Kenan coming up who's coming off a loss that was nearly two years ago ,,

Seems UFC don't have much fate in Garry to match him against anyone of note ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭robwen

Only on the early prelims this weekend at UFC 285, at least it should be on at a decent time to watch here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

He’s 25 with 10 fights.

No rush, take another 2-3 fights before a top 15 opponent maybe late next year.

Ye that is true , the WW tend to be late 20's before exploding ,

Top 15 is full of killers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Watched a couple of videos of him over the last couple of days. Latest one was from MMA on Point where we went through the Top 10 at Welterweight.

He's quite difficult to like. Comes across horribly obnoxious and manages to turn anything he talks about around to talking about himself. I don't mind a bit of confidence but the complete lack of humility rubs me up the wrong way.

I like how UFC are giving him the chance to find his feet and put him against lads he should be expected to beat, like this chap tomorrow, but I think he's in big trouble if he ever gets anyone form the Top 10

Post edited by MrStuffins on

I know his family but not him & they are all really good genuine people but i agree he comes across very unlikable ,

He really really wants to be liked & i think people pick up on that & go the other way,

i hope the lad does well for himself & gets a win the weekend,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Getting dropped like that will probably do him no harm in the long term. Wasn't completely cringe on the mic after either. Win-win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Advertisement