Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

I would bet a lot of money that up until this news, you would have claimed the US Energy Department isn't a reliable source and couldn't be trusted

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Stanley 1

Trump got close to the sky pilots business through his personal pastor, Paula White, he saw the possibility of television fund-raising through "The Apprentice" and making appeals was so much easier than kissing Putin's ass to get dodgy Russian monies to buy his condos in Trump Inc., for inflated prices.

Would think Trump is genuinely afraid of Putin and his proven ability to strike/execute overseas, probably has a ground floor bedroom/office at MAL and plenty of food tasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,421 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

then-President Trump phoned up the Disney execs to have them censor Jimmy Kimmel for him

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Mr. "I've been cancelled" trying to cancel others. The hypocrisy.

Has there ever been such an absolute baby of a president?

No wonder all knew in advance how easily he would be manipulated by foreign governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

OK my fellow woke libtards. Put down your vegan-friendly LGTBQTI+ tree-hugging equipment and prepare to be triggered. Apparently we need to start trotting out "the usual excuses and deflections".

Except, wait, no. I think, like usual grownups, we can take onboard new/updated information.

In the same way that trump ... fans can reflect/reassess their opinion on trump as (confirmed/proven - often by himself) confirmation of his history of serial sexual assault, support of white supremacists, racism, support of dictators, support of nations hostile to the US, support/endorsement of insurrection, support of assassination/intimidation of political rivals, election tampering........ Oh wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The US government cant even agree among themselves how it started. If the FBI have proof they aren't sharing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

See, that's the thing. People objected to Trump claiming that the virus leaked from a lab not because Trump was saying it. But because he didn't give any evidence for his belief. And there was no reliable publicly available information that suggested that was the case. As much as his supporters want to pretend that everyone who disagrees with Trump does so solely because of political reasons that is of course not the case.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The implication from Trump saying lab leak is actually "China bad and did it deliberately" and that is what people have rejected as unproven conspiracy theory.

Whereas what lab leak actually means is "scientists screwed up, China hid it"... And that is still only a vaguely likely scenario according to most of the bodies declaring a position so far.

Lab leak (in the accident rather than deliberate scenario) should really be an irrelevance to everyone though. The only people that it should matter to are whichever bodies it is that licence and inspect each other for deciding which countries and labs get to work on different nasty microbes.

If it came from a bat whose last place of residence was a cave or a cage in a lab really doesn't matter one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

Very true. And I'd add, not just "China bad and did it deliberately" but "China bad, engineered the virus as a bioweapon, and spread it deliberately".

There appears to be ample evidence that regardless of how it spread to the population it evolved in the wild rather than have been engineered.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

All of which, to distract and deflect from his lacklustre response at the start of the pandemic. I mean, if we want to go back to all of Trump's comments about the pandemic from say the start of February 2020, then sure, Trump's comments about how the virus may have come from a lab in China may turn out to be true.

Wonder how many of his earlier comments might end up being proven true...

Feb. 10 at the White House: “Now, the virus that we’re talking about having to do — you know, a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat — as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away in April. We’re in great shape, though. We have 12 cases, 11 cases, and many of them are in good shape now.”

Feb. 23 to reporters: “We have it very much under control in this country.”

Feb. 24 on Twitter: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”

Feb. 26 at the White House: “So, we’re at the low level. As they get better, we take them off the list, so that we’re going to be pretty soon at only five people. And we could be at just one or two people over the next short period of time. So, we’ve had very good luck.”

Feb. 26 at a news conference: “And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.”

Feb. 27 at a White House meeting with African American leaders: “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.”

Feb. 29 in a speech to conservatives: “And I’ve gotten to know these (health care) professionals. They’re incredible. And everything is under control. I mean, they’re very, very cool. They’ve done it, and they’ve done it well. Everything is really under control.”

Or how about this doozy from early March:

March 6, 2020: “I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it… Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president.”

Or Trump's damn near bang-on estimate of how many people might die from Covid:

May 3, 2020: “Look, we're going to lose anywhere from 75,000, 80,000 to 100,000 people,”

(Covid deaths hit 400,000 by Trump's last day in office)

So even if it's definitively proven that the virus leaked from a lab in China and Trump hit a home run with that one, remember to turn around and see the mountain of baseballs that just flew straight past him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That's not actually new is it? The FBI have stated their position for some time that it was a lab leak. Them and the DoE believe so, but 4 (?) other agencies think a natural event is more likely. None of them have a high degree of confidence either way.

Ultimately China is incredibly secretive and not an honest broker in any investigation so the chances are we will never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And lets remember that Trump recalled the expert that had been based in China, the job of which was to stay ahead of things like this and keep an eye and the Chinese.

Had Trump not done that then the entire world might have been given more advance warning.

But sure, one thing he said might turn out to be right, so that makes everything ok.

And are the FBI now trusted? I thought they were led my Democrats and out to get Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Sure Chris Wray just gave a whole interview to fox about hunters laptop and classified docs cases and the latest rumors about Wuhan. The viewers must be all sorts of confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

It's Trump again if this scientific poll in Florida is anything to go by...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EDdwvrNeFS8

No part of a President’s official responsibilities includes the incitement of imminent private violence. By definition, such conduct plainly falls outside the President’s constitutional and statutory duties. Cf. Nixon, 457 U.S. at 749-50.

It likewise falls outside any plausible understanding of the President’s traditional function of speaking to the public on matters of public concern. As the Nation’s leader and head of state, the President has “an extraordinary power to speak to his fellow citizens and on their behalf.” Hawaii, 138 S. Ct. at 2417-18.

But that traditional function is one of public communication and persuasion, not incitement of imminent private violence. To extend immunity to such incitement would contradict the “constitutional heritage and structure,” Nixon, 457 U.S. at 748, that have informed and justified the doctrine of presidential immunity.

Love to see the captured Justices try and take that one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

JUST IN: The House Ethics Committee has opened a formal investigation into Rep. George Santos.

Rupert Murdoch stealing a lot of headlines for his deposition in the Dominion case, where Murdoch essentially agreed with the majority of the cross examiners questions, confirming that fox hosts "endorsed" the claims about Dominion that the already revealed communications confirm they knew to be patently false, thereby eroding Fox's defense that much farther.

Trump meanwhile is disgusted and demands the firing of every Fox News person who knew the election wasn't stolen

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Can you imagine how much fun it would be if any of the 3 Ghouls(Hannity, Carlson and Ingraham) had to take the stand in this case and explain why they promoted information they knew to be false.

Tucker getting cross examined would be box-office gold.

Bet they go back to his previous defamation defense: 'no reasonable person can take me seriously'

It's not at all surprising anymore, but it remains astounding to me that the literal exact named professional asshole people who go off about the War on Christmas every **** year are the most shameless and least god-fearing 'christians' on the planet. Shameless sociopaths. Even if you catch them, they'll keep doing it, because 'free speech' and 'win politics by any means.'

Perhaps as a prime example of this, listen to Kellyanne Conway in 2019 [video at WaPo]:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/06/13/blah-blah-blah-this-week-old-kellyanne-conway-clip-looks-exceedingly-painful-today/

CONWAY: If you’re trying to silence me through the Hatch Act, it’s not going to work.

REPORTER: I’m not trying to silence you. The Office of Special Counsel said you violated it.

OTHER REPORTER: Kellyanne, is — is Roy Moore a standalone case or do you — or should we expect —

CONWAY (turning to first reporter): Let me know when the jail sentence starts.

Basically saying, '**** off, I'm going to shamelessly violate this law because the law has no tangible statutory criminal punishment attached to it'

And for similar reasons these fucklechucks over at FNC don't give a flying rats ass about a fine from Dominion, that will always be watered down to hell on appeal. They're not going to be personally hurt by it, in fact they've made a political machine out of victimhood from their violation of such laws - "I'm being oppressed" coverage will, in this lost country, lead to killer ratings for them, maybe even a bunch of illicit and not illicit fundraising through book tours etc.; Tucker Carlson will keep his ride or die advertisers and he will continue to broadcast from his safe space in Florida out of a green screen. Hannity will just show up at another Freedumb rally somewhere and hawk merch and continue to blather up the void leftover from Rush Limbaugh.

Even if they absolutely lose this case, they're never coughing up a billion dollars in damages, and none of them are going to jail, and none of them are going to get #canceled. The days when Jon Stewart could go on the air and utterly tank Carlson's viewer base are gone because he's not looking to cater to balanced, fact-sensitive audiences anymore. He learned the wrong lessons from that - to find a base of viewers and advertisers that isn't interested in that, they're interested in Winning and Alternative Facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

^^^^^^^^^

Still one of the greatest moments in cable news history.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's a valid insight into why American politics is the clownworld it is today (and by "today" I mean since the 80's. Everything is about ratings and show.

Bread and circuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

American media is very biased on all sides but Fox in particular of the big networks is the worst, the stunning thing is the most moaning about biaised media by far comes from the people who suckle from Fox’s teat. Conservatives have jumped the shark with their willingness to believe things just because it suits them.

Which is funny because conservatives and republicans like strong authoritative figureheads and leaders with big brass balls to tell them what’s what but if news people told them, you know - facts about life they needed to hear - they’d go “how **** dare you” and flip the channel to another station of sycophants like newsmax.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

In "Things that come as absolutely no surprise," Kellyanne and George Conway are divorcing: https://pagesix.com/2023/03/03/kellyanne-conway-and-george-conway-to-divorce/

ETTD strikes, yet again, this time the Conway's marriage is the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Did their daughter ever get away from the crazy bitch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Yeah, the family is spread out over the East Coast, but she and Mom have worked some things out. https://www.bustle.com/politics/claudia-conway-tiktok-kellyanne-coming-out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement