Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

What an amazing player he has been for Connacht. How many times he held the ball up over the try line, it was like a super power he had. Pity he didn't sign on but if the contract length wasn't long enough then why would he stay. At least he will get a good pay day out of Bristol. Good luck and thank you Keiran.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

One of the greatest players in Connacht history. Won’t forget him puking fifteen minutes before Toulouse game when there was a virus rampant in squad and still playing, summed him up, tough to the last.

Never let Ireland down either, think it was against Australia he had to play a half on the wing, put in big hits on guys twice his size. Superb in wins against New Zealand and England, wrongly not brought to RWC 2019.

Pretty shameful if he is leaving over contract length and embarrassing for whoever made that decision.

He will be excellent for Bristol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Always had huge time for Marms. A fantastic servant for Connacht. Happened to be up around the players changing area recently and he came out and said thanks for coming without knowing me whatsoever before heading into the pitch.

He was so badly treated by Joe Schmidt with his 2 minute cameo's. And more recently his treatment by Connacht seemed to undervalue him.

So onwards and upwards Kieran. Thanks for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Kieran was a brilliant servant and he deserves to pocket a nice wedge before he calls it a day. A player that should've gone to Japan in 2019 but I've huge respect for him for fighting for an international spot, even if it didn't pan out. Hope he's a massive success in Bristol and thanks to him for 2016 and the All Blacks win in 2018 in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

I'm very unhappy about this decision. Marms has been a rock for us and is playing great rugby. Like everyone else, I hope he got a bag of gold for signing with Bristol. Although he arguably deserved more at international level, he was part of the 2016 Pro12 winning team and the starting nine in the historic 2018 victory over the ABs. Stories to tell kida and grandkids. Maith thú!

I reckon the branch were a in a bit of a pickle with this one. We have two experienced top quality senior scrum halves, Colm Reilly already coming through, and the promise of Matthew Devine in the academy. If Marmion was signed on the kind of two year deal that would keep him at Connacht we'd tie up some of a very tight budget and block that pathway. Blade is three years younger, clearly ahead in the eyes of Connacht / Ireland coaches, and has far fewer hard minutes on the clock too. I'm disappointed we can't keep him but I think this will come down to balancing one scrum half versus retaining two or three younger players in other positions.

Best of luck to Kieran. I hope he has two good contracts left in him, and if he ends up at Bristol as rumoured he won't be too far down the road from where he grew up in the Brecon Beacons. I presume he still has family there.

I just compare Casey to Blade. When Murray came on against Italy there was stability. When Marmion came on against Zebre there was stability. I have never been a Conor Murray fan but when your designated first scrum half simply creates mayhem you need stability to fall back on. And time and again that is what Marms has done.

I am so sick of the 9 and 10 rubbish we produce week in and week out when the rest of our team are so talented

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Bristol would be wise to take Shane Delahunt as well, he and Marmion have an almost telepathic understanding, and create an absurd amount of clean breaks around the fringes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I don't really see it like this at all to be honest. Two top class 9s should be the aim not a pickle.

Devine has two years left in the academy I think? Every other province will have at least three senior 9s on their books at the start of next season, indeed they all have four currently even Ulster who don't have a regular 9 in the Irish Squad.

I would be fairly shocked if Connacht start next season with just two senior 9s and a second year academy guy. I expect a 9 to join but inevitably it won’t be a player with the ability of Marmion, so all that has happened here is Connacht will have significantly weakened their squad in one position at a lesser cost because they/the Irfu were unwilling to give Marmion a two year deal.

• Advertisement

You can quote me on this but Blade will never get more than a few shirts for Ireland. And even the Irish selectors seem to agree on this. It's sad that our own province is unable to see the issue. I guess when your 10 has been so much muck it covers up how muck your 9 is?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭kita99

Marmion.He is real professional rugby player. Thank you for your service for fans in such a long time,and good luck. No other word I have.

I completely agree with you that we'll be weakened at scrum half. If were my money I'd wanted to have renewed Marmion but I see zero signs coming out of the branch that there was budget there to do very much this Summer, and we'll have another big batch of players needing contract upgrades next Summer. My expectation is that we'll be slimming down our squad, concentrating on renewing a load of promising lads, and hoping to maybe get one or two signings we really need. We've yet to see much movement on either playing or coaching recruitment. Our main incoming signing so far was announced last Summer and has had two shoulder injuries and a shoulder surgery since then.

I don't particularly like it but that's where the books have balanced.

It's hard to comment from the outside without knowing our budget but I'd imagine it's hard to justify paying two international salaries in one low attrition position. A downside of having such a young squad is that we will have to hand out a lot of increased salaries each renewal season, as lads establish themselves. Several are likely to start picking up caps as well so will be able to command decent salaries. I can imagine the branch are looking at having to renew the likes of Darragh Murray, Hawkshaw, and Forde next year and that has informed their decision. Also, having two high quality options at 9 has meant that we have very few development minutes to share between Reilly and Devine. At some stage we need to increase their exposure to first team rugby.

We will likely have to replace Kieran but the new man will likely be cheaper and less of an obstacle to the young lads. However, offering a one year deal to a club legend who is still in his prime is a bit insulting. Offer a proper deal or offer nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Lads on here would be losing their minds if they didn't offer something. I'm by no means a Ruane fan but he probably made the best feasible offer he could within the remit of a player that Andy Farrell has zero intention of selecting. Colm Reilly isn't going to develop either if he's up against two solid and generally injury-free scrumhalves. If good young players see a lad like Reilly coming through the academy with regular first team opportunities to show for it then they'll have a better perception of the academy system and be happier to sign.

There's bigger positional issues than scrum-half for next season. They probably are right to retain budget in the event we lose somebody like Boyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Personally think Devine has the potential to be Irish first choice 9. He was the best 9 I have seen at u20. Marmion leaving will help aid his development.

Big weekend ahead, with most of our immediate rivals facing tricky ties. Seems to me that our most likely route to Champions Cup rugby is by finishing ahead of the Sharks, they have a tough match away at the Stormers, who could do us a big favour with a victory, preferably without allowing the Sharks a BP.

A huge weekend of fixtures alright. We need to get the job done in Wales. We're good enough to win with a TBP if we turn up. After that the other teams around us could leave us and the Sharks in a little space fighting for seventh.

Wonder if Conor Fitz will be renewed. Would like to see Tom Daly covering both centre and out-half as he simply is not getting enough game time for his ability. Obviously we are loaded at centre so it seems like a reasonable move. Wouldn't mind seeing young Prendergast signing as outhalf for Connacht this Summer. Now that would be nice and he would get the game time

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Prendergast was offered a contract last year but turned it down. With Sexton retiring it makes sense for him to stay in Leinster

• Advertisement

We've finally hit the point where the media are willing to write about the possibility of Mul returning to take a coaching role. John Fallon has run with it in the Indo and The42. This has been floating around the rumour mill for a while with no one willing to put their name to a byline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭testtech05

Also mentioned this stupid "locals first policy" which sounds more ridiculous every time I see it. Really struggling to see a positive to it.

I definitely wouldn't be a fan of a "fairly rigorous locals-first policy in contract renewals and recruitment" (quoted from The 42 article) if that is the strategy. We still need to recruit from the other provinces, and that generally works best when lads pursue the opportunity to play rather than fall into it when the final Leinster contract renewal doesn't turn up. I'm all for backing our youth but we don't want to disrupt that dynamic too much.

It may just be a case that we've had to make a lot of hard decisions between young players we've developed and older more expensive lads that we brought in over the last few years.

Feel much the same with Wilkins. It's just going to be more of the same. Another 3 years of not fixing the fundamental problems. And that's what hurts the most with that particular appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭kita99

Anyway at first Connacht must win Dragons who are scrum-strong team.Are Connacht ready to fight against heavy weight pack? And JJ Hanrahan became skill-up in kicking game than Munster' time. This game not easy at awayfrom home.

I think that Harry West is above on Prendargust at line break play. From this time, Connacht must him Ireland rep player with Devine. Both two look intensional to skill-up. And if Sam Prendargust becomes regurar OH in Leinster in such ashort time, How H.Birne, Ciaran Frawley and charley Tector do next. I think Frawley is best OH at both attack and defence in younger generations.

McNulty names to start for Corinthians this weekend, could mean Bolton or Jennings in the 23

Why not both? Hyped for Jennings' debut, been waiting a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Boyleback in at 8. Bolton on the wing which is interesting. Rielly 20. Jennings in at 23. I have a feeling we might not see much more of Marmion unless there's injuries.

Looks like we’re getting both. Excited to see Jennings in action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Bolton out of position but great that we get to have another look at him. Jennings - high expectations. Brilliant to have Boyle, Dowling, and Hawkshaw return as well. Farrell/Forde in midfield - yes.

I'm excited about this selection.

Advertisement