Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflection on the pandemic: questions about the authorities' response.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I just asked which images the poster was referring to. I didn’t ask you. Thanks all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

We should remind ourselves of the Galway family (doctors) who returned from a ski trip in Italy in February 2020, only for the HSE to tell them to return to work immediately because they were not symptomatic.

Anyone paying attention to global news at the time would have been aware of the reported delay between infection and symptoms. It should have been no surprise when they came down with symptoms several days later, after having already returned to work.

I read an unbelievable comment claiming the minister for health had had not even heard of Covid as of mid-February. Considering they were preoccupied with the general election at the start of February, this isn't as far fetched as it sounds.

I remember seeing news reports out of China of a mystery illness around the new year 2019/2020. It was a concern because I had just had surgery and was immune compromised. It beggars belief that the Minster for health could have missed all this, unless our politicians really are living in their own bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm not arguing about transport links for imports/exports.

I'm saying a plane full of hundreds of people, or people going to an international sporting event with thousands of people is where covid is going to enter the country enmasse. Those are super spreader events. Trucks and containers isn't something where you mix with a lot of people.

We did bring in international travel restrictions but not for almost a year. Which was crazy.

I'm curious how someone would compile a list of images from media they saw 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Infection models are used all the times for all manner of outbreaks, that's one of the reasons they were so accurate (and they get used for managing flu over the winter months as well). I'm not sure what can be explained more other than you are completely wrong about models, their accuracy and how they get used.

You are correct that the models for tracking a virus would not take into account restrictions directly, but they would generally have their own models (how many cancer cases would be missed due to less screening occurring as an example). Impact of teaching from home for children would be a relative unknown as we didn't have that level of lockdown on schools previously.

Also, the models grossly underestimated the actual numbers for Christmas 2020 because a new more transmissible variant appeared.

This was untrue, the variant appeared post Christmas in a greater number of infected and models were updated, the models predicted the numbers in Christmas 2020 but the politicians ignored the advice to have a meaningful Christmas.

But were heading into revisionism territory now and whack-a-mole with misinformation.

• Advertisement

That Xmas would bring a surge should be surprise to noone considering how much social mixing would go on and many people would bend the rules as far as they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Apparently the UK government were considering a cull of domestic cats early in the pandemic. Can you imagine? No doubt many people would have gone along with it if they did and would have complained about the selfish people who objected to 'doing the right thing' by not wanting their pet to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

This post reminds me of what I think a lot of the response to Covid from the ordinary man or woman on the street was about. They seemed to have absolutely huge chips on their shoulders about seeing other people going out socializing and enjoying themselves whether it was the pub or going to a beach or whatever. Seems like there is still some of that around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I’m quoting this post purely because I think more people should read it. Sums up the Covid response in Ireland perfectly.

... and you're back to the pub ...

I didn't make any judgement of right or wrong about it. I just said from a point view of models and statistics it was predictable outcome.

• Advertisement

Ah yes the "forces" of social media are in conspiracy to erode our "democratic freedoms". Lockdown will never end.

What agenda are these forces pushing on us this week out of curiosity? I need to know so I can have a huge chip on my shoulder about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Flights are irrelevant. Its like shutting the back door and pretending its keeping people out while leaving the windows and front doors wide wide open and having people walking in and out 24/7.

Truck drivers travel cross borders ie travel internationally to provide us with goods to keep the country going. At least some of them will be bringing in Covid.

The border with Northern Ireland is even worse because if really want to go outside the island just get a flight from one of the airports there. That's ignoring the fact going into Northern Ireland can be classed as international travel. Again the politics of the border meant we were never going to have an island wide plan.

Stopping international flights does and did not stop international travel to and from Ireland. It was just optics to placate people who were frustrated about being limited to 5km. There was a reason it took over a year for it to be introduced. It was obvious to anyone remotely familiar with the politics and logistics chains of the island that stopping international flights was pointless. It didn't come remotely close to stopping international travel and did nothing to stop Covid coming in.

Introducing pointless restrictions and I would class limiting flights as pointless was a bad idea as it eroded the public goodwill that was a requirement for the restrictions to work.

I'd agree with NEPHTs approach here not to stop international flights. Again the international travel situation was very far from ideal but its a perfect example of the challenges and limitations NEPHT and the government faced.

Flights are irrelevant?

Of the 1,633,800 passengers arriving in Ireland in October 2022, 95.3% (1,557,200) arrived by air and 4.7% (76,600) arrived by sea.

Two things you are using post pandemic figures, figures during the pandemic were far far lower. You are not including cross border movements. Remember Northern Ireland had different restrictions and generally looser restrictions when compared to the rest of the island.

Even ignoring my two points above the figures you quote are irrelevant in the context of Covid unfortunately. You seem to be forgetting that Covid is a highly infectious disease and a large percentage of people are asymptomatic. You only need a handful of people coming into the country who are infected and the virus spread throughout the entire population. And more than a handful were travelling to and from the Irish state on a daily basis even if you ignore international flights. Even though the figures were magnitudes lower during Covid when compared to normal years.

Countries like Australia, New Zealand etc had very very strict restrictions on international travel and even introduced tight lockdowns when even a small number of cases were found. That was impossible to do in Ireland for the reasons I've outlined.

Again I actually agree with NEPHTs approach to international flights. The recognised the futility of stopping them and focused measures on other areas. I'd agree with you though that the international travel situation was far from ideal. NEPHT were at times deaf to the practicalities of some of their plans. Its important to point out where they recognised a limitation and worked around it.

I'd lay strong odds proportionally the majority of "people" still travelled by air through most of lockdown. I only looked it up because you got me curious.

April 2020 saw an unprecedented collapse in overseas travel to and from Ireland as the effects of the COVID-19 crisis deepened. There were 16,100 arrivals in April 2020 and 17,800 departures. This compares with monthly travel of more than 1.7 million in each direction, in April 2019. an annual fall of 99% (See Table 1).

Of the 16,100 persons arriving in Ireland, 12,100 (75.2%) arrived by air and 4,000 (24.8%) arrived by sea. Of the 17,800 persons departing Ireland, 12,800 (72.2%) departed by air and 4,900 (27.8%) departed by sea

Even Sweden, put restrictions on International Air Travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Because all those people driving back and forth across the border every day are not considered "passengers".

Christ, this isn't even complicated, you'd need to try damn hard to not understand the point made.

I know when I'm going from Enniskillen to Clones I always get a flight. Its quicker than the boat.

How can people even think this is a conspiracy?

Tony Holohan actually talked about it at every Briefing and plotted a 'worry Index' over time. When level of worry went down he said he was concerned 'people would drop their Guard.

Here is the actually DoH Worry index presented at the time.

His comments made me look up the stats.

The big disparity in COVID figures between NI and Rep. Suggests that there wasn't a big transmission of COVID between the North (much worse) and the South.

There would be no reason for someone to go UK > NI > R.Ireland, when there is nothing (no restrictions) stopping them from going UK > R.Ireland directly.

Ironically

A lot more people travel between UK and NI using Irish Ports and Airports than directly to NI Ports and Airports. I expect thats even more true of travel places other than UK to NI. The majority (86%) of travel across the border between NI and R.Ireland start and end near the border. They are short local rural journeys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,099 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ah Tony's worryometer, that was a good one. Anyone who didn't see the tactics for what they were at that point were never going to.

I see Leo says there'll be some kind of an enquiry into our handling of the pandemic. I don't expect anything substantial to come of it but I would love for the general public to actually realise how much bullshít they were fed for the best part of two years. If something like this ever happens again in our lifetimes then I would like for it to be accepted that it is absolutely ok to ask questions about how things are being handled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Dear god. Let there be no more doubt about your intentions in this thread. Nobody could miss the point so spectacularly by accident.

There's a worry index? Can you post a link to where you got that, that would be interesting to explore.

You’ve posted a link from August 2020 the worry o meter in the article goes up to December that year.

in any case it was a real thing in which NPHET based their recommendations.

When I saw

"...Last updated on 21 February 2022..."

I was more hopeful. Couldn't find anything else.

• Advertisement

Ah come on any you obviously don't understand how Covid or how similar diseases work. Virus spread from person to person. So person A from say Italy (any country will do) visits the UK and infects person B in the UK. Person B visits Northern Ireland and infects person C. Person C then crosses the border and infects person D in the Republic. Here's a simple chain of transmission that makes limiting international flights pointless. You can add in person E,F,G etc to the chain and the end result is the same. The particular strain of Covid is in the community and it will spread throughout the entire country. The fact that Ireland limited flights from Italy(again the exact country isn't relevant)was only a minor speed bump at best for the virus.

So fact there was any and I mean any cross border transmission meant the numbers coming in on international flights were absolutely irrelevant and shows a complete lack of understanding of Covid. I haven't even touched on the people who worked in international logistics and kept the country going in my example.

So personally limiting international flights was purely optics and experts said as much at the time. Again NEPHT made mistakes but their approach to international travel was practical and reflected the position of the state.

Look at the countries were stopping international flights was effective(ie not Europe) Countries like Australia, New Zealand China etc had very strict quarantine procedures, harsh lockdowns for even a handful of cases and put a lot of work into finding close contacts and stopping transmission at source. They recognised that fact that even one infected person had the potential to spread the virus throughout their country. Those measures are and were impossible to replicate in Ireland.

Post edited by PeadarCo on

Advertisement