Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booking flights online

• 27-02-2023 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi anyone have any tips or hacks for booking flights online to minimise prices. Book midweek? Clear out cookies? other?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

booking midweek and clearing cookies are urban legends.

Always book with the airline, at a price your're happy with and don't be tempted to go back and check. Fares are sold in 'buckets' and when a fare bucket is sold out, the next available bucket is more expensive.

There is no air fare fairy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

momondo, skyscanner and google flights are good comparison sights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Beware this can lead to you being passed from pillar to post in the event of a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Or they'll lead you down the merry path with a cheap fare, then bump it up when you get to pay.

or cobble together an itinerary on separate tickets (self connect etc) which provide no protection in case of irrops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Fares are sold in 'buckets' and when a fare bucket is sold out, the next available bucket is more expensive.

Not always the case. Last year a group of us where looking to go away and on the Ryanaiar website it had 3 seats left at this price so I booked, when the another person went to check later the new batch where cheaper than what I booked at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A few minutes after I'd booked. I'd got the last seat when I booked the other 2 had gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Not true. I fly very often and flights are going up and down. When the next "buckets" doesn't sell well (probably in a proper frame of time), they will reverse to a cheaper price. But you can't really predict it.

It also depends on how many seats you want - you might get the last at a particular fare but if you wanted 2, those seats might have different prices. This usually applies to Legacy airlines and not LCC or charter flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 gillrich

skyscanner is great to monitore the prices. From my experience it is slightly cheaper to book something on Monday-Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭gossamerfabric

don't book at the end of a month as Ryanair know you just got paid.

airhint.com will give advice and regular email updates as to when to buy a particular flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,882 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭beachhead

Booking 8/10 weeks out for a long haul can be cheaper.As one poster said be happy with the price you pay at.Some airlines trend prices over a 2 week period-up/down by a few euro then lob on e50,keep price up for another 2 weeks which seems the normal cycle then shoot up as your travel date approaches- 4/5 weeks out.I am monitoring flights in January(end of).One airline has varied by e40 in the 6 weeks,the others by e150-350.This week all with e100 of each other.To me that means no demand yet.Pay the price you're happy with and leave sites alone.Skyscanner the best.Googleflights the worst.Others 50/50 but they forget the extras which are included by other sites.Like baggage is 23kg not 25 or 30kg.Seat fee is excluded and charge more than the airline or even when free with the airline direct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Within the month, your credit card cutoff (billing) date is far more significant than when you get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 adamers

I've definitely tried a few tricks to score the best flight deals. Booking midweek, clearing cookies, and using incognito mode can help, but one service I've had great success with is travelup. Their search algorithms and negotiated rates often uncover fares that are significantly lower than what I can find on my own. I'd highly recommend giving them a try.

Post edited by adamers on

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭extrafluff

Hopefully this helps. I saw an article on Toms Guide about using Gemini - Googles AI system - to search for flights. I haven't tried it myself as I've no plans for holidays any time soon but may save people some money.

https://www.tomsguide.com/ai/how-to-use-google-gemini-to-find-cheap-flight-prices

Advertisement