Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There's a whole load of people telling people where they can't do stuff lately. A few I've witnessed are swimmers telling boaters they can't launch on a public slip (designed for launching boats), people telling dog walkers they can't walk their dogs off leash (where they actually can according to bylaws). Motorists and pedestrians telling cyclists they can't cycle where they actually can. Cyclist admonishing a motorist for being nothing but cordial and respectful. Middle aged people acting like a skateboarder approaching them in a park is comparable to a charging chariot with steel scythes attached to the wheels. Joggers bullying through other pedestrians.

In my experience male pedestrians very very quick to hassle female cyclists with kids and very quick to scuttle off when dad arrives on the scene.

Not sure if it's a post Covid indignant self righteous thing but it's getting tiresome. If you're constantly pissing and moaning you're not enjoying it. Take up golf where there's a clear set of rules and etiquette on private land with similar minded people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Exactly. I walk about 7k a day and constantly meet cyclists, e-scooters, scooters, skateboarders etc... on the footpath. I also meet them as they go through the lights when the green man is flashing and I've never had a crash, a near miss or hassle, just the odd nod or hello.

Yet if you read other people experience on boards.ie their walks are like the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

She reported the theft to two gardaí on patrol on Capel Street only to be told the street was not within their area and to report it to a nearby garda station.

🤔🤔🤔🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Another peach to add on top of all the bullshit around the gardai on patrol saying it’s not within their remit :

”Cllr Cooney said the gardaí have not yet looked at the CCTV footage as the investigating garda in the Bridewell Garda Station is not on duty.”

• Advertisement

Can you imagine that same response if your car was knicked...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Pretty awful case alright, according to the article it was a shared use path so it wasn't a case of the woman cycling on the footpath just because

I did some research a few years ago in developing something along these lines with a local authority. We got to the point where a viable solution "could" have been put in place but the authority got cold feet over potential liability - not everyone is going to have the app, what if some part of the fixed infrastructure goes offline, what it motorists just ignore it? I mist say I couldn't fault their reasoning on this, and it probably convinced me more than ever of the necessity or enforcement over such "solutions".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

We were only discussing what "on duty" and "in pursuit of their duties" meant in terms of guards breaking driving laws the other day. "Not my district/precinct" is an interesting wrinkle in that calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Good example of how cyclists are a routine punch bag for public figures.

Dublin Airport drone disruption: O'Leary says Ryan must respond or resign | Newstalk

“If this was somebody blocking a bicycle lane in Ranelagh, he would be on it before lunchtime."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭cletus

The article is fine, but it seems to me that he starts from a false premise

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Good example for how far distant from reality O’Leary is if he thinks that any authority has or will take action over a blocked cycle lane in Ranelagh.

I had similar years ago while still living in Dublin. Went into Pearse St to report an aggressive bellend in a van that cut me off aggressively twice in the "bike lane" at Christchurch, first time at the lights on the top of Winetavern St, which I let go, but then filtered past to have him do it very deliberately the second time opposite Jurys, followed by a heap of effing and blind from your man - albeit returned in spades. Anyway long story short, you could see the look of relieve spread over the waste of space behind the desk in Pearse st when he heard where it happened and told me I'd need to report it to Kevin St. He's probably an assistant commissioner now...... Now if only they had access to a computer system where details of an incident could be reported for action.....

We once happened on a head on collision blocking the road (at the double bend beside dennigans on the garristown road). Road was blocked, I rang Ashbourne Garda station (which I checked afterwards, is a 4.7km drive away I think) and they told me they were not responsible for that road, to ring Balbriggan, about 20km away.

I contacted the press office to ask was this normal, and they apologised and said the first Garda should have taken the details and a central office would have handled the dispatch. They claimed to have contacted the two relevant supers.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

POS pro-Tory political rag The Spectator publishes this nonsense in relation to the killing of a cyclist on a shared footpath/cycle path...

Finally a good news story!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Paddigol

"They don't even have insurance, Joe!"

Ireland tops EU league of shame for uninsured cars on road (msn.com)

Can only imagine that however high the rate of uninsured cars is, the numbers not bothering to pay tax or get NCT is much, much higher. But of course, the problem is really uninsured eScooters and tax-dodging cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

NCT can be difficult especially for older cars like mine which have to be tested every year given the ridiculous back logs.

Walk around any car park though and it's staggering the amount of cars with expired tax in particular.  My motor tax is €710 per year and it's at least 3 years since I last saw a check point so I have to question my compliance when the repercussions for having no tax don’t outweigh the cost. On the minimal risk of being caught I’d have the inconvenience of having the car seized, a nominal fine and transferring ownership to clear the back tax but why isn’t the fine something like €200 for each month since expiration. That might at least deter drivers having no tax for years on end making the rest of us look like suckers.

Insurance is farcical in this country, mine is up for renewal next month and have just received my quote in the post up nearly 30% on last year despite no changes and when premiums were promised to drop with the crack down on spurious claims as well as over inflated claim rewards. Same as every year prior the whole process of filling in online forms and ringing insurance companies looking for quotes beings again and many refuse to even issue a quote despite having max no claims bonus because car is 10+ years old despite. Makes a farce of the yearly NCT requirement if insurance companies don’t view it as a road worthiness test. Really needs to standardised and flat third party cover available for ~€350 and you shop around then for any additions such as fire, theft, comprehensive etc. If that was available and actually enforced it might alleviate some of the additional costs on actual insured drivers subsidising all the evaders via the MIBI fund.

Even those insured are afraid to claim for fear of loosing their no claims bonus and being crucified for years to come with increased premiums and effectively locked to the one company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Agree with all of that. It's the standard fare in this country - pretend we care about something/ encourage something, but actually we'll turn a blind eye on the basis of not actually giving a f**k and hope that the cohort of law abiding, civic-minded citizens is enough to keep up the appearance of a working system.

But I suppose the reason I posted it here, in this forum, is to highlight/ emphasise the stupidity of those who immediately reach for the "but they don't pay road tax" and "they should all have to have insurance... what if one crashes into my car" nonsense. If the authorities can't/ can't be arsed enforcing compliance in respect of people driving multi-tonne vehicles who kill/ seriously injure thousands every year resulting in a cost to society of millions upon millions of Euro, do those idiots actually think that the authorities will have any more success chasing cyclists around the streets?

Most of all, I was just having a rant to make myself feel better.

NCT as it's being "operated" at the moment is a joke. If you try to book the car way ahead of time to make sure you get in in time you're told that it'll only be valid from 1/2 years from the date of test regardless. Try to book it a reasonable time ahead of due date - the closest date is 3 or 4 months beyond and it'll still be due for next test 1/2 years after the due date. While I'm entirely in favour of cars being roadworthy and have no desire to go back to the 80s/90s when often as not cars were being held together by baler twine, I'd hope given the farcical state of affairs that exists, guards would exercise some judgement until NCTS get their act together.

Insurance and tax on the other hand, a system of notification when a car falls out of insurance or tax linked to ANPR would help reduce that rather than have guards standing in the middle of the road looking at windscreens - though of course the banditery that is the insurance cartel in this country needs sorted out as well.

(seriously, I haven't been off lurking in the motoring board - swear 😄)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I love the fact that they have a rough minimum on the number of uninsured and untaxed cars due to ANPR cameras on the motorway but they can't do anything with this info apparently. It's a joke. Even if you only had a team of 4 gardai seperately take each reg and their address in a certain area for a month. Do drive bys to see are the cars there (or in urban areas) parked on the road, and just either sieze them or wait outside (knowing their typical times from the motorway cameras) and hammer them when they drive out the gate.

i was talking with my wife yesterday about how many cars there still are on the road where you can't read the rear reg plate due to dirt. obviously not something people have any fear about being pulled over for.

That's a fairly reasonable approach for the NCT. If they were to give you 1 or 2 years from the date of the test, they would be incentivising and encouraging people to drive without an NCT for months or years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Well the NCT is mostly complete bollox. It doesn't really test how safe a car is. Ours passed first time last month. We changed suspension coil a few days later as it was end of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

NCT changed completely the type of cars that are on our roads. They are cnuts but I'll give them that.

Suspension springs typical just fail by cracking with any wear prior to that difficult to spot.

Most other components show obvious wear be they bushings, brakes, shock absorbers etc.

How did you know to bring car to garage or was it just a regular service?

• Advertisement

I'd guess we're both old enough to remember the kinds of wrecks that were in common use on the roads before the NCT. It's far from perfect, but it serves a purpose.

Advertisement