Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

I've a stock bull to go to the mart whats the story with stock and 30 months age do they lost a lot of money after that ? Is it 30 months exactly?? Thanks lads don't have stock often like him age wise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

What age of a bull is he? You can still sell him in the mart regardless provided he's in 12 month test as was always the case in recent year's. The new 6 months testing regulations are only an issue if the purchaser intends to keep him for breeding or other than slaughter in the short-term. If he's a cull bull or not an overly fancy sort of a lad there's a good chance he'll go either direct to slaughter or for a short fattening period and then slaughter. Therefore the new testing rules won't make any difference and won't affect his value either.

If someone was interested in keeping him for breeding then it would be an advantage to have him 6 months tested as otherwise the next owner will have to do that after purchase. That may or may not be an issue for whoever is interested but I could see it putting a potential buyer off him. However it depends on the day and the majority of bulls I see sold in general mart sales seldom make much more than there beef/store value especially outside of the main service season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Did many get to look at the piece in the journal today. Finally we have some firmed up figures on the effects of feedlots. This time it was done on the amount of cattle slaughtered per herd Essentially now we have 160 "herds" killing over 420k annually or in real terms about 22% of the kill. Last year about 42k farmers killing up to 50 animals annually only supplied 28% of the total kill.

When you can control at least 20% of the kill you have clout to be able to manipulate the market. Do we need to move towards having weekly reporting of slaughter numbers based on herd size.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

I saw that alright. No surprise. Was interesting to see it reported though. It shows that the small finisher is in an even more precarious position than ever. Its a real shame how it has gone, basically rearing cattle for whatever Larry's minions will give us in the mart. Trade is flying now so lads don't mind, but when they've enough cattle they can kill the base price using the feedlot stores, which will in turn kill the mart trade, so they can fill up the feedlots again with cheaper cattle. They've a fair grip of us now.

Will get very interesting at the back end as farmers want to kill the last of the grass cattle and feedlots want empty and restock.

What is good about is to have hard data finally on the changing landscape. After all its our image of cattle in a field that is used to sell beef, not one of 160 in a landcruiser going up the feed passage on the phone, either bidding online or a conference call with the overlords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Read the article about the feedlots too. Where are most of them based? I’m in the west so no idea where they are. Would love to see one sometime out of curiosity.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Well written editorial on the control the processors/feedlots have over farmers.

But very disheartening. You’re at nothing really when someone else dictates what price you get. And often you don’t even know how it happens. At least now, the “system” is out in the open. Thou the processors/feedlots are probably not too upset since farmers might complain less now and just take their beating

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I would say the more and more data, that can be bought out into the open on slaughtering according to herd size, it will given evidence as to the state of our industry. Having data in to open keeps everyone on their toes. Fiddling the figures eventually will catch you out, and its always something small that does it, its the key to Pandora's box. The new food regulator and the CCPC can handle this but we need sustained evidence of this.

With a reduced number of feedlots and larger numbers of cattle going through these big yards, there is an increased pressure on credit in the marts. Bigger limits and one card falls, this could see a number of marts in big trouble. Essentially, if mart credit is funding some of these operations, its dangerous territory

Remember that we have got 3 main processors controlling over 80% of the kill. What is happening is nearly a step by step play of what way the US beef industry has gone. Stores and weanlings move from the Rocky's towards the big feedlots of the central plains. A similarity is store and weanlings moving from the western seaboard to the east. 4 main meat packers control over 80% of the US kill. Just a quick read of what Biden is trying to do for farmers in the US, I know its from the UK Guardian but its extremely well written.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/25/meat-wars-why-biden-wants-to-break-up-the-powerful-us-beef-industry

Weekly data of cattle slaughtering's according to a rolling 12 month average of herd slaughtering is vital to be reported, secondly added to this would be animals slaughtered within 7 days of movement from a herd.

Remember if we don't ask we don't get and the noisy wheel will always be first to get the oil. We just have to keep harping on looking for it.

The less spent producing a product, the more needs to be spent marketing it.

As the processor/feedlot model drives down the price of producing Irish beef (at retail level, not farm level), then the more will be spent on the green imagery. We can expect the Bord Bia levy to increase in the years ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭kk.man

Mart credit is definitively a source for the big players. I know of a finisher who had almost 350k of credit from a midland mart a few years back.

A different fella tried to dictate his own credit terms to an eastern mart only to be informed by the mart that if prompt payment wasn't forthcoming his was going for judgement on his SFP.

• Advertisement

At then end of the day the funder of mart credit is the seller and not the buyer,

Big prices no question.

But marts throwing out big prices on Facebook and Twitter is starting to wear thin with me. They’re as bad as the Journal now only showing the good prices and implying no one got a bad price.

And none of the “trade on fire” headlines ever mention the costs involved to get the animal to those weights.

Feel free to ignore this rant. I weighed store cattle today and they’ve barely paid for themselves over winter. I’m swallowing hard and making myself believe it’s just another lesson learned 😀

The costs are key. If you can keep a handle on costs and produce decent quality animals then you have a chance.

The goal should be low input stock that you can keep outside 9 or 10 months of the year.

A 33 month old limo at that weight, very disappointing. A limo over 30 months would want a dw in the mid 400s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Big polly cow in mautys today. She was 4 foot wide to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

I wonder how much he paid for her six months ago?

There was a 930kg cow made €3060 in Ballyjamesduff this week, don’t know what age or breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's all about keeping costs down. These are 12 stores I left off nearly three weeks ago now. Three that are hitting 36 months from march to May. Two black I think NZ cross Friesian's that are November born I will let them go over 30 months and hang in June. Seven younger bullocks three of which could go to O+ over 350 DW.

They were in about 110 days and cost less than 150 euro in feed costs. If I can keep them.out and moving onto good grass they will leave a few bob.

I left 12 more off on Wednesday. I Have no photos of them. They were on a restricted diet for two weeks before turnout as the other lads were a bit hot going out.

Slava Ukrainii

She was 945 kgs mart weight. She was a pedigree as was her dam and sire. She was a real AA not the runts a lot of lads ate breeding nowadays.

She have been over a ton coming off the farm. She would probably kill up near 550 kgs DW. Even at that she be costing the factory 5.75/ kg. She may be hung in the North as a heifer as she was so tight

Slava Ukrainii

I know it’s all about keeping costs down. But…

You can’t reduce them indefinitely either. I don’t think I’ve massive costs here (€900-ish to buy, rear, finish in 2022 - variable and fixed) but the HE, AA, and LM heifers I’ve been buying just don’t seem to be the type of animals that get up the weights. I could try more meal for their 2nd winter and finishing period but would I be only chasing my tail at that stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

In fairness you have a good eye for buying quality and being able to buy at value,it is easy see how you make profit

Beauts there Bass.

I love the white in the Friesian in pic 2. Great cattle if you can get them.

• Advertisement

That’s not bad. You’d do ok finishing at current prices.

It hard to feed meal over the winter. If you are finishing your heifers at around two years it might be better feeding meal in the last 7 to 9 weeks when the weather is better

You'd buy nice 400kg fr in Kilkenny on Thursday around the 900e mark...no hardship. No contractor and kill back end.

The biggest problem is trying to get animals to preform. Meal is never the answer and it's a horrendous cost.

The problem with traditional breed heifers is unless you get the genetically best you will struggle to get weight on them. What I see with AA and HE is there is a lot of them incapable of doing much with half a kg a day no matter what you feed them.

Lok at that AA cow have you ever seen an AA or HE suckler like that, I have seen very few. Most lads breeding traditional breed cattle are using low genetic potential bills.

I buy 90% online. They are the best bullocks I have and the next bunch after that as well. The next 15 are decent enough and then I am.intp the mixim gatherim if what is left. A good long grass producing summer will turn them I to cattle. There will be 5-6 that will go into next year. I will not be trying to finish out of the shed next winter

It's about keeping costs low and feeding for 6-10 weeks and hope I will get 90% out like that.

Slava Ukrainii

I didn’t want to blame the genetics of HE and AA cattle out of dairy cows coz that’d be too easy.

No doubt I got stuff wrong but there’s no question poor genetics are a big part of the problem too.

So a freisian bullock that comes in at 350 kgs at 30 months is better than a dairy cross heifer that comes in at 300 kg at 24 months. Interesting.

The black with the white socks on his back legs 🤣🤣🤣 I be trying to avoid them.

Ya the lad behind him 🤣 is a flaker. At 330kgd DW he will grade O=, at 350ishDW he be an O+. If you could keep him to 400DW he be an 'R' I think.

60% of buying Friesian's is buying the right colours as much as possible. But usually you are buying a mixed bag. Bought him with 5 more @300kg last June for 500 euro. I. The last picture there is two more Friesians from that bunch

Slava Ukrainii

The Friesian bullock was bought for 500 euro last June he was bad weight for age and ya he wil leave a margin. There is a lot of traditional breed heifers will not kill 300 kgs at 30 months and very few will kill 300 kgs at 24 months

We can only deal with stock from the dairy herd the way we get them. I am dealing with what I buy. There is no meal fed until 6-10 weeks pre slaughter

You are obessesed with the age of cattle I just buy for a margin

Slava Ukrainii

June is a good time to buy freisians. You are getting serious value at 500 for an animal pushing 18 months so fair play.

You can get dairy cross away at that weight at that age. Nothing wrong with them.

The white around the belly/lion is just the business, always was. In my youth KK mart was full of them. Then continental cattle came and margins became very tight. Now we have proper grass rats AA and He butty yokes with premiums going every day they hit the store ring. A good Fr is underestimated.

• Advertisement

I made mistakes starting as well. It took me a while to finesse the system and I am always finessing the system slightly. But traditional breed heifers are tougher than many think. I know a lad that dose them he is a flaking stockman, paddocks, moves them regularly in to nice grass covers. He buys light 18 month stores and the weight will vary by 40-50 kgs in heifers that are the same age and breed when he hangs them, there is seldom more than 10-20 kgs between them when bought

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement