Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Pet Shops (Cats/Kittens for food etc)

Options
  • 01-03-2023 5:29pm

Any recommendations on good places to pickup bulk food & cat litter etc for a good price?

I find local pet shops (pet mania and the likes) are actually very expensive and surely there’s better places to be looking!

Not used to buying pet stuff regularly but we got two kittens on the weekend 😅

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Zooplus.ie! Prepare to melt your card lol 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭xeresod

I second zooplus, but keep an eye on petmania too as they're often the same price for some stuff and you'll get delivery much quicker

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Zooplus has gone very expensive these days. There's not a lot of difference between them and Irish retailers, I find. But that being said, they do get cheaper for bulk buying, but it's worth just cross-checking.

Petstop have started doing Subscribe & Save on certain items, which helps a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I find amazon.co.uk quite good for cat accessories and the cheapest for Feliway. Unforunately they stopped shipping food here since Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 IceT
    Owner of Irish Canine Education & Training

I use www.fetchyourpetneeds.ie

Based in Mullingar, irish company and they deliver quickly and reliably

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There are for me issues re delivery being offshore. I need to give mine some variety and SV here only stock own brand tins... I iwll check again today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I use either Zooplus or Buy4petsonline.ie - the latter will give you a 10% code if you register - delivery from both is very quick in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭mykrodot

i got the fright of my life last week when I ran out of my usual bulk food and nipped into Centra to get a tin of Whiskas (a rare treat for my two). It was €3.50 for 1 tin!!!! I have since found Supervalue own brand tins and unusually for my picky cats they don't seem to realise the difference! Happy days .

Overall pet food has gone up well over 100% .......and like most foodstuffs is still rising. I am sure this is one of the reasons people are abandoning cats and dogs to rescue centres. I can't understand when the Government say inflation is 8% why foodstuffs have had increases of over 100%? Can anyone explain this?

Yep the prices have crept up but you can have the savings plan to save a few €’s and then you have the reward shop. I get our raw food / some treats from fetchyourpetneeds and some stuff eg furry rabbit ears are cheaper for single bags compared to Zooplus now. I love their reward points too

• Advertisement

• Ah the smaller shops will rip you a new one on cat food! €3.50 for one tin is extortion tho!

That's crazy mykrodot. And I thought SuperValu hiking up Sheba mini pouches by 25 percent in one week was bad!

Does anyone known of a good online shop for Royal Canin Veterinary brands apart from Zooplus? One of mine is super fussy (and super nervous) and will only eat the Calm food, which my vet does not stock. Zooplus were out of this for a while and I need a backup supplier. Has anyone tried miscota.ie?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interesting to note that our usual cat food - the sheba 40 x 85g pouch, typically €20-€23, has been getting much harder to source recently, and is not listed on zooplus. i suspect that option may have been discontinued.

zooplus have an option for 48, but for €34.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭omicron

Inflation is calculated based on the averages of everything everyone spends their money on - food is only a small percentage of most people's total outgoings so even though food inflation is running at 15%+, the overall inflation rate is lower.

Pet food is up a lot more than food overall, presumably as the base ingredients and energy form a bigger percentage of the final cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭looksee

One of ours is on the Kidney Care kibble, now there's expensive. However we were told that she had probably 6 months with 75% kidney failure. 18 months later she is still (age 17) scoffing gold dust. 😀

I have bought from zooplus - they do the 'World's Best' cat litter, it lives up to its name - but I will try some of the others mentioned.

I've noticed that too. Plus our local SuperValu doesn't even stock the full sized pouches any more. It's the only wet food that her royal fussiness mentioned above will eat and not throw up.

Ah, that's great to hear looksee. May she have many more years of eating you out of house and home. 😀

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't see the ones we used to get - fine flakes in jelly - listed on the sheba website.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cromelex

I have been using Petstop for over two years and very happy. They always seem to have stock, and they dispatch so quickly that more often than not I get a delivery the next day after I order.

The Subscribe&Save looks like a good option (I've literally just subscribed for it a couple of days ago on my cats' usuals), looks like a legit discount as they haven't changed the prices of the items I have been ordering for a while, so it is an actual saving.

• Advertisement

Just got 4 boxes of this in maxi zoo at Clearwater in finglas; they're €27 each in the Tesco opposite, but on a 2 for €36 offer in maxi zoo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The Petstop brick and mortar shops (https://petstopdiscountwarehouse.ie/) often have large boxes of sachets for a very reduced price. They're all made by the same company for various supermarkets and different brands, but the sachets may have been mislabled (e.g. in gelly when it's actually in gravy) so they are second choice and are discarded from the main supply chain. The last time I bought them, 90 sachets cost me €13.50. Unfortunately they're not sold online, but if you have one of those shops near you it's definitely worth a look.

Unfortunately the nearest to me (Dublin) seems to be in Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Anawilliam850

Congratulations on your new kittens! When it comes to purchasing pet food and litter in bulk, there are a few options to consider.

1. Online retailers: Online retailers such as Amazon, Chewy, and Petco offer a wide selection of pet food and litter at competitive prices. They also often offer discounts and deals for bulk purchases.
    2. Wholesale clubs: Wholesale clubs like Costco and Sam's Club offer a variety of pet food and litter options at discounted prices. You may need to purchase a membership in order to shop at these stores.
    3. Supermarkets: Some supermarkets like Walmart, Target, and Kroger offer pet food and litter at lower prices than pet stores. Be sure to compare prices to ensure you are getting the best deal.
    4. Pet supply stores: While some pet stores may be expensive, others may offer competitive prices for pet food and litter. It may be worth shopping around and comparing prices at different stores in your area.
    5. Local feed stores: Local feed stores may offer pet food and litter options at lower prices than pet stores. These stores may also offer bulk discounts or promotions.

In general, purchasing pet food and litter in bulk can help save you money in the long run. Be sure to compare prices and look for deals to get the best value for your money.

You do realise that those stores chatGPT recommended (bar Amazon) are all US chains that aren’t in Ireland?

Post edited by tk123 on

I had one of my two at the vet yesterday, it looks like she is going to need a completely chicken / poultry free / prescription / hypoallergenic diet. Currently on steroids.

I spent hours this morning researching same and have only found 1, possibly 2 brands of dry food that are completely poultry free. (I currently feed both my cats a mixed half wet/half dry diet).

Does anyone have any suggestions? The two I found are Orijen and Acana, but getting them here seems to be hard. Petstop has Acana, but only in small 1.8kg bags at €32 each.

Fetch might have an option as well, with their Nourish Connisseur Salmon dry food .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You're probably better off getting meat from a butcher's... it'd be the only way of being certain.

Otherwise, on Zooplus, these are a few of the brands with a single source of protein: Concept for Life Veterinary Diet Hypoallergenic - Salmon, Animonda Carny Single Protein, Feringa, catz finefood Monoprotein, Schmusy Nature Ocean Fish, Greenwoods, Purizon, Applaws, Schesir, Integra Protect Sensitive, thrive PremiumPlus, Mac's Cat Mono Sensitive, Nutrivet Inne, Greenwood, Feline Porta, Encore, Wild Freedom, Miamor, Almo Nature HFC Natural Plus. I'm sure other websites would have more.

Thanks for those, I will check all of those out in fine detail! I might have to look at feeding a raw diet.

The problem I've found is you have to look at the fine print of the ingredient list very very carefully - they often have some kind of poultry products, even if its just poultry fat.

I've found another brand that actually specifies "poultry free" for cats with this allergy - Wellness Core (Petmania). But only 300g bags!

Another issue I have is I've two of them and it will be very hard to separate them to eat, as they've always been fed together. The one with the allergy doesn't have a "stop" button, whereas my other cat is very good at self-regulating.

I'd feed the other cat first and remove the "normal" food (maybe in a separate room), then let the other one eat the "special" food.

• Advertisement

Rawvolution do a few different raw varieties for cats and a dry… but I haven’t a clue what about prices for cat food / sizes of bag so don’t know if it’s any use to you! It drives me mad when I buy a food eg that says fish and it’s fish and chicken / mixed proteins when it’s not clear it’s mixed.

Advertisement