Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭rrs

It was going to be a tight Division anyway. 7 Kilcoo players now on the Down panel, one of the best club teams in the Country. Fermanagh pulled off a great escape. 8 pts behind to win at the death. Kieran Donnelly seems to be doin a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Westmeath aren’t that good a team. We played terribly in that Tailteann Cup Final, got very little right on the line and still could have beaten them.

On top of that, I’d imagine Dessie Dolan is going to be a terrible appointment. Great player in his day end a local hero but no managerial experience even at club level.

I wouldn’t be as dismissive of Offaly as Kevin Egan was on WAC this week. He’s from the county though and some people tend to talk down their own county.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

By my calculation, beat Down next week and we are 99% guaranteed promotion as only Fermanagh will be able to get above the ten points we’d have and we’d have every other team that can get to ten (Westmeath, Offaly & Down) on the head to head.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Good win today and a good performance. Cavan wanted to push the pace and move the ball fast and Offaly couldn't keep the pace we set.

Some great performances, Lynch was excellent. If he could work on his initial burst of pace to get away from his marker he would be a massive goal threat. His movement and balance are outstanding. He got great service today too.

I thought Ryan O'Neill was excellent too and Gerry Smith covered a huge amount of ground.

We are humming along nicely. Down will be a step above anything we have played so far, looking forward to it. Hopefully Breffni will be hopping for it. As King says, win and we are are almost certainly up.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

A good performance. A little disappointed we didn't a goal or two, we really managed to butcher some super chances. Thought Faulkner was mom, he was outstanding. If he wasn't cutting out dangerous balls, he was winning kick outs and even drove in a couple of unreal balls to the forwards. Ryan O Neill was excellent, best game yet and Lynch with 10 points while at about 80% fitness was also excellent. Couple of watch outs was our half back line targeted on kick outs and lack of size there on wings was a weakness. Offaly didn't miss in the 1st half and got some brilliant points but they just couldn't stay with us. A good day all round.

• Advertisement

Good to see James Smith & McLoughlin get game time today. I don’t think either will start next weekend but they’ll be there if things get sticky.

Offaly scored 7 out of 8 shots in the first half. They were never going to keep up that level of conversion. Those points at the end of the first half were vital to knock them for six.

Down will be the toughest task we’ve had yet and we’ve now basically a mini Ulster championship left to lead us into the Armagh game.

Not getting promoted from here would be a travesty and I would expect it’ll be Fermanagh or Down we’ll be playing in a League Final.

Game is on BBC iPlayer next week so let’s put on a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭celt262

Great to get the win and good to see Paddy Lynch back kicking the ball over the bar.

Next weekend is the big one now win that and promotion is wrapped up with two games to spare and the pressure is off but it is likely going to be our toughest test yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

The first half was very entertaining and both teams kicked some fine scores. As Cavan_King stated, Offaly hit some amazing points (that mark on the sideline and their full back landing one from about 40 metres) that wasn't likely to happen against a tight breeze.

Lynch will get plenty of plaudits but Faulkner man of the match for me. He's looking back to his best in the last few games, which is a great sign. Looks fitter and far more mobile. Like the Longford game a lot of players played well and even though Offaly had a plan to stop McVeety, we had more than enough in our front 6. Clarke and Brady did really well in midfield too.

I'm delighted to see that even when McVeety is quiet going forward (still had a good game in defence) we still had loads of options up front.

Faulkner was excellent. His positioning and anticipation were top drawer and his confidence is clearly back. At one stage in the first half he jumped for the ball under pressure and facing the wrong way and gathered cleanly. He attempted similar in the TC final and missed the ball completely.

The full back line looks a lot more solid this year but that's probably because McVeety and Holla are in front of them. I think if everyone is fit we can afford to have Jason return to the corner back position ahead of Finnegan.

Gerry Smith is continuing his transformation. He seems to have turned off cruise mode and he's using his pace and running at defences.

With Ricey there a few years now you would wonder how our tackling is still so rash and results in so many frees. Simple goal chances blundered too, needs to be more composure in those situations, it almost looks like they feel instantly pressurised when the goal opportunity opens up and it affects the decision-making. Hopefully it can be resolved.

No wanting to put a massive hex on us, but where are Down showing that they are a cut above everyone else? Beat Tipp by a goal, fell across the line against Antrim at home, shipped late goals against Fermanagh and somehow Westmeath managed to lose from being 6 points up.

Okay, the Antrim and Westmeath games show resilience at home and clearly have the appetite for goals, but they're shipping big totals as well (in three wins their score difference is plus 5). They've definitely improved, but given where they were at, that's not much of a statement.

• Advertisement

They haven't been convincing but have players who have won All Ireland club and they are capable of putting in a big performance. Down had an excellent u20 team 2 years ago which hammered Cavan ,managed by Laverty. A few of those finding their way at Senior level

In previous years the Kilcoo players were opting off the panel, but they have 7 now on the panel. Cavan obviously have a settled team and a manager in his 5th year . The Johnston brothers only returned to the Down panel a few weeks ago, didn't play last year.

Well Westmeath were the best team we played and Down beat them and are 2nd in the table so it's probably safe to assume they're better than anyone we have played so far. Bookies have Cavan at 1/2 Down 2/1 and a 2 point handicap.

I think we need to go all out to win this and secure the promotion spot which will then allow Mickey to rest lads if he thinks its beneficial and to get a look at a few players who haven't got a pile of game time.

Division 3 is pretty poor quality and so far we are the most consistent team so hopefully we can put in a good performance next Sunday and take the two points..

Division 3 is low quality but you'd wonder how Limerick got promoted ahead of Westmeath last year. Being totally outclassed in Division 2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Westmeath actually eat Limerick by six points in limerick but lost to Longford and Louth and drew with Fermanagh in their second last game which cost them promotion by a point to Limerick. Thomas Galligans brainfart made Westmeath look better than they were in Croke park.

Westmeath played the more direct football in that final. Cavan were slow and ponderous even before Galligan went off.

James Burke seems to have Cavan more on the front foot. I don't think Johnston brought much as a forwards coach.

Harsh on Thomas. 6 separate Cavan players let Kieran Martin by them in the lead up to the goal.

Wish this game was Saturday evening i miss the evening games with the lights on and a decent crowd in.

Paddy Lynch did mention in his interview that everyone was enjoying training under Burke. It may be that things had gone a bit stale under Martin Corry.

I don’t know how true it is but I did hear initially that Burke had told players to work on speed and less on weights. Getting to the ball first was key to his plans.

Could just be pub talk though.

Looking at Downs Results so far there goal scoring ability seem to be something that we need to weary off on Sunday, and what has got them over the line in there 3 victories so far. In saying that they are letting a few in as well so hopefully we can take a few of our goal chances this week.

They kicked 18 points against Antrim but in the other three games the most they kicked was 11. There biggest win so far (3pts) was against Tipperary who are possilby the worst team in the Division.

Tipperary 1-11 Down 2-11

Down 2-18 Antrim 2-17

Fermanagh 2 -14 Down 3-10

Down 1-10 Westmeath 0-11

Paddypower have it as Cavan 1/2 and Down 2/1 with Cavan (-2) even money

I would always be cautious about Cavan and how we will get on in games but i think we will be beat the handicap easily on this one.

• Advertisement

I remember thinking in the Tailteann Cup game last year that they weren’t actually that bad in the first half but their shooting really let them down because it was atrocious. They couldn’t even score a penalty at two attempts but they had strong running players who caused us problems at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Down were also 10 points? ahead of Cavan at halftime in the C/ship in 2020 and blew it.

It's a funny one, our recent record against Down is good but in a lot of the games we won without playing well. In 2018 we played them three times and could have (should have) lost all of them. The game in Brewster for example was a game that Down lost- we were all over the shop and they found a way to blow it. And as you pointed it in 2020, they had the game won and we fought a valiant comeback. We just seem to have their number of late. Long may that continue!

We were very open in that game- in fact, barring the Fermanagh game, we really were very open through the middle against running teams in the league and Tailteann. Sligo in Croker for example. We seem in the first four league games this year to have dealt with that much better.

O Hagan caused us all sorts of bother in that game, and he is out for the season and he is a huge loss for them.

It was eight at half time. Cavan got two scores right before the break. Journalists have said since that there was actually a strong enough wind that day and Cavan really pushed up and pressured them second half.

Since losing to Down in the Ulster Semi final in 1996 i can’t remember us losing any important games to them. I’m sure there are some but i can’t think of them.

We lost to them in the championship around 2006 and also lost a Division 2 League game to them at Breffni in 2015. Saturday evening game. Something as mentioned above we aren’t seeing this year. Those are just two games I remember. I’d imagine there are more.

Same team as last week named. I’d expect we may see more of McLoughlin or James Smith off the bench this week though.

Gearoid, of course, is also due back this week!!

The game is on GAA Go as BBC iPlayer are showing it so I assume it will be available to purchase to watch back later? Let’s hope it’s one we want to watch back later!

Great win today. What happened at half time?

• Advertisement

Laverty was mouthing at anyone he seen in blue and someone barged into him it must have been ricey.

Great win in the end first half was a hard watch Down were very negative.

Advertisement