Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Change the password, I know you don't want to but the password could now be passed around the neighborhood.

Also does the router have an option for a guest network? If so set this up as well. Then if the situation happens again they can be just given access to the guest network.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Masala

Ya..... I agree. That’s the easiest thing to do..... so be it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭wandererz

Download an app called "Fing".

Run a scan and it will show you all devices connected to the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

Please let me know how do I delete a contact in my Google account?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Are you on your phone or on your computer? I'm assuming it's a gmail email address?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,578 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

1. Go to Google Contacts.
    2. Select one of the following:
      • A single contact: Check the box next to the contact name.
    3. At the top, click the 3 dots which says"More actions"  if you hover over it
    4. click Delete 
    5.  Delete. Your contacts will be moved to Trash, where they'll stay for 30 days before they’re deleted forever.
      • To delete a contact permanently, go to "Trash," select the contact, then click Delete forever.

Thanks for your response,

I cannot see a box next to the contact!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Can you see three dots on the right hand side?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,578 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

just hover over it with your mouse, it will appear then

I'm in Google mail when I see my contacts.

At last, I figured it out.

Thanks for your input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have been looking at ordering from the above site but it seems to me (and I am no expert, which is why I am posting here 😀) that there does not appear to be any payment security on the site? Can someone who has a better understanding have a look and tell me whether you would put your credit/debit card number in here? I spoke to them and they assured me it is a secure site, but did not offer any more detailed explanation. The whole website is a bit basic, I suspect they don't have great techy abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,419 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Thank you. So, as a matter of interest, why do other sites that you put a credit/debit card number into come up with notices claiming security? And what is the little padlock icon in the url about? I am not concerned that the site is not genuine, just how secure it is from hackers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,419 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm not sure what notices you are referring to. the padlock next to the url tells you that it has a secure connection to the server.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Not always... Yes Its HTTPS (the padlock) - which means no-one can intercept the card number on its way from your browser to the shops website (not your Internet Service Provider for instance or any of the many computers between you and the shops website).

However - if they were just taking the cc details directly to their site - this would not be secure - you have no idea if and how your details are stored on their server - or who has access to their database.

In this case - looking at the traffic on that site (Using Chrome F12 Debug tools) in particular at the CreditCard validation network traffic - they appear to be using stripe payment servers - this is good - separate to the shop - I only tested card validation and didn't enter a real cc number - but its is an indication that it might be ok.

Normally, for a small business, you would have a credit card intermediate service - which would take the payment - and tell the site its paid - but not give the actual details of the card to the shop.

Its seems a little odd you have to manually enter an invoice though rather than pay for a "cart" of goods - not very integrated shopping experience there.

So, yes - maybe secure, (I don't know for sure as I didn't make a full payment), but definitely not because its https. All sites have to be https nowadays - chrome wont load an regular http site with out lots of warnings.

Myself... I would use a Revolut credit card that you can enable and freeze for this site immediately after they take the payment.

“Roll it back”

Thanks all, in the end I made alternative arrangements, but part of my problem was that the site generally was so unsophisticated. Anyway thanks for the explanations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,463 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If using Revolut to pay I'd use their disposable virtual card - it's a one time use card that only a single payment can be taken from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

I am working or a document, and have saves *** where I need to have a space between paragraphs. As I remember I used to replace *** with something like p> and that did the trick, but I forget how to do it now, can you help please?

Kind regards.

Tom.

OK guys and gals I got it....^p

What program are you in? Just interested!

• Advertisement

Microsoft Word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Anyone know if this is common or just bad luck? Trying to send an online form on an irish website while using a VPN and it will not submit. Is that normal when using a VPN? I thought they were supposed to be a good idea as they provide added security.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

Great job! ^p is a page break.

^v is a paragraph break.

I'll note that, handy to know. Thank you Victor!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

It can happen. Is the VPN connectting you outside of the state?

However, depending what you are doing, the amount of security provided by the VPN is debateable.

I can use - or could - Quark Express in detail, but Microsoft Word is still a mystery to me beyond the very basics. One of the more annoying programs 😀

Hi folks, quick q, please - is there a way of seeing when exactly something was posted on a webpage (time/date)? I tried with F12, I've also tried with right click and inspect but I don't know what to look for. Thanks.

• there are a number of possible ways, depending on site. The XML site map crawler is good for relatively inactive type sites. Don’t try it with Boards.ie!

Bingo! Found it, thanks a million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Himself has Spotify on our desktop computer. Irritatingly, every time we open up the computer, darned Spotify opens up automatically. We've tried everything we could find to prevent this happening to no avail. Any help to control this would be delightfully welcome. 😊

Advertisement