Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Berties PR machine really powerful enough to pull this off?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

god forbid people would want to complain about the attempted rehabilitation of bertie ahern on a discussion forum, of all places.

and politicians i don't like don't go away simply because i don't vote for them, alas. that seems like strange advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

That's exactly what I think is going on and said it recently on another thread.

Bertie using the comms clinic is fine - that's what TCC do. It does get a bit sinister though when TCC is in bed with NKM and is using that connection to further Bertie's cause by having the NKM contractors pushing for it on national radio. It seems to happen a lot on NT as I think it's a step too far for RTE to allow.

Anton Savages's radio show is even worse than Claire Byrne's for cramming in NK teammates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

Not quite the case, the fact is that without the participation of ''the warring parties'' there would be no peace, no GFA. (Now certain folk want to air brush them out of history) There would be a GFA without Bertie, he just happened to be taoiseach at the time. No doubt he played some part as any other taoiseach would be expected to do....in GAA parlance, you can be 99.999% certain that Dublin would be All Ireland Senior Football champions in 2015 even if Stephen Cluxton was not their captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Absolutely, I know I will be voting for him, at least once!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...and I assume you know that Savage is the spawn of Prone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The suicide remark was a real low even for that dishonest man. He was referring to Morgan Kelly at the time who was absolutely on the money with regards to the bubble FF had created.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭Shelga

He’s disgusting. Seeing him all over the airwaves at the moment, even being interviewed on outlets I respect, like The News Agents and The Rest is Politics, and having none of his blatant and persistent corruption questioned, is turning my stomach.

He is so clearly on a media blitz to try get the lay of the land with regard to going for the presidency, he can get f**ked as far as I’m concerned.

most irish people would look to the UK and laugh at the prospect of johnson getting back into power - so can you imagine how english people would laugh if we elected ahern as president?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Bertie is not going for Taoiseach and according to report President

Do you honestly think in a few years time Johnson is not going to pop back up in some role?

Even after the last PM(cant remember her name, the lettuce one) was fired some people mentioned bringing him back in....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

It's not just the financial reward that has him interested in the Áras. He was kicked out of FF with his reputation in tatters for very good reasons. He is now on a mission to reinvent himself and have his place in history. He may have a slight false veneer of a halo until after the GFA celebrations, but good deeds are soon forgotten - to quote a line from Shakespeare's Julies Cesar ''The evil that man does lives after him, the good is always interred with his bones'' or words to that effect. If FF have an iota of sense they will not even consider him as a presidential candidate, instead run a neutral candidate like the Labour Party did in 1990 with Mary Robinson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Kelly got a few more thing right during the recession too. Very tuned in guy.

What I really despise about Bertie is that in 2002 his Government put a Constitutional amendment to us to remove suicide as a grounds for abortion. You think the 8th amendment was bad, this would have been horrific.

Just about rejected by the electorate.

Anyone under 50 is probably sour on him already but a reminder of this should turn a few more.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-fifth_Amendment_of_the_Constitution_Bill_2001

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

That's fair enough if you disagreed with the proposed amendment.

49.6% of voters agreed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Bertie returning to the public eye is a great example of type of psychopathy we see in 'senior figures'. It really lifts the curtain back so us common folk can get a glimpse of real state of affairs of that class.

You can bankrupt a nation, force a large percentage to go to another country to work, get away with ill gotten gains and lie about winning them on horses or 'whip-arounds', retire as a parasite living off of a multi-million euro public pension sucking on the same tax payers you screwed over when serving as a non bank-account-holding member of the Dail, turn a blind eye to the US rendition flights and still, still have the brass neck to return in front of the public like nothing ever happened.

Speaking of turning blind eye to rendition flights. How would one get paid for that? What favour could have been given to Bertie or his family members..

I can't wait until he dies.

Well, you've somehow managed so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Not to mention him popping up inside a cupboard under a sink or something like that. Might have been for an advert for the Sun or the Mirror. Demeaning for the country to have a former leader do this while on a substantial pension

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

“Speaking of turning blind eye to rendition flights. How would one get paid for that? What favour could have been given to Bertie or his family members..”

I believe he was given shares in Dunkin Donuts when they opened here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Thats the one. Pretty demeaning for a former leader

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭KevRossi

This hasn't been updated since he made his 'comeback', but it makes for interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Is there any box that says, none of the above?

• I was supping a pint at the bar watching the Liverpool match in the Goose Tavern, Sion Hill Road on Wednesday night.

Some auld lad started engaging me in conversation about the match, I had maybe 30 seconds chat with him before I looked directly at him and clocked who it was, the Teflon Taoiseach, the bauld Bertie himself, he looks absolutely bate down altogether.

I know he is from the area but seems to need no rehabilitation with the locals, he was fairly holding court in there and everyone seemed all about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This isn't going to happen.

Fianna Fáil, under this leader, or any pretender to be leader from the current crop, are not going to allow Bertie Ahern to be the party nominee in 2025.

If it isn't Micheál himself who is nominated, its likely to be a Mary McAleese type figure, maybe an Emily O' Reilly or a Catherine Day could fit the bill. Or maybe they will save the shekels and nominate nobody, depending on the prevailing winds of a new Government in the Spring of that year.

The only way Ahern gets nominated then, is via the Councils and if neither his own Party nor any others will vote for him, then his bid dies in the crib.

Anyway, its all academic, Mairéad McGuinness will stroll to victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭MFPM

Ahern won't run for President, he likes being talked about and doing the rounds of media, so there's no need for him to rule it out, if he leaves it open as a possibility he maintains an interest.

As an aside, it is interesting though how the Good Friday Agreement anniversary is bringing together Blair one of the prime instigators of the illegal war in Iraq, his central propagandist Alastair Campbell who helped lie about the war and Bertie Ahern who facilitated the illegal war through the use of Shannon Airport despite Ireland's alleged military neutrality. Ahern even met George Bush in the North to discuss 'peace' in the North while Bush's troops were murdering innocent people and now these lads are wheeled out to condemn the illegal war in Ukraine...you couldn't make it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Be a serious step down for Mairead. I doubt she is looking to retire from the Commission anytime soon.

My prediction is that Bertie will disappear back to retirement when all this anniversary business is over.

He’s just raising his profile for the speaking circuit. He did a similar operation years ago when he had people convinced he was leaving to be the next Commission President in the early 00’s. The EC weren’t even considering him. But it is forever there in the press archives, just like this will be.

Doubt he wants his every speech and trip subject to the approval of the Taoiseach of the day in any case.

It is at least entertaining to see this charade at the moment and be reminded how bad our politicians were. No bank account, whip arounds etc. No consequences.

Misfeasance on a planning application, today, ‘You’re finished!’

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Bertie doesn't need a PR machine.

He's powerful enough to pull himself off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Karppi

Dear Lord, what a mental image. I suppose I should be glad he still has the strength

Advertisement