Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

Fairly drab match and a comfortable victory. Would say that Laois goal was very poor from our defence, Laois player was able to waltz through our half back line with noone near him to make the tackle. They had another chance five minutes later that they drove wide but they didn't get much other in the way of goal chances. Drennan the standout forward with Donnelly and Ryan impressing at time. Ryan was the subject of a really high challenge which should have been a red card. I thought Buckley did well today and in fairness to him you can see his movement off the ball is very good with the runs he makes. Delaney did fine for the most part. Some of the youngsters like Dunne and Clifford when he came on didn't make much of an impact but there's plenty of time for them to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

If Delaney lined up at 6 who played at full back?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Richie Reid was 6 Niall Rowe started instead of Shane Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Fairly straightforward win today and hard to take much from it. We definitely got sloppy in the second half but that happens with a lot of subs and a good lead.

Padraig was loose most of the match and himself and Buckley were bombing up the field. Paddy mullen got 2 long range points,he's a good striker and I hope he can make midfield. The only downfall was We had a few goal chances that weren't converted and then we started forcing goals. Cody and mossy should of done better. Cody's was a lovely height for Rowland.

Donnelly was very good but he tired,he got a few lovely score and he needs to nail down a spot for this season.Billy put in a good shift despite nearly losing his head in a high tackle.

Other than that it was good to see Clifford get a run. Niall Rowe done well. Tommy got a half into the legs after a long lay off. A break now next week and the next two matches we ahould see a more settled team.The panel will be cut in the next few weeks lyng said. Adrian should be back for the Waterford match.

Post edited by brookville on

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Tank

Kilkenny very much more 'on it' today in terms of hurling sharpness and physicality and it was hard to know to what level due to the opposition but they hit very few wides, generally played the ball a bit more pragmatically but still worked some good scores (great cross fields and also some nicely worked puck out routines). Reid and Mullen were comfortable on the ball and brought a greater assurety to possession (I didn't realise what a big lad Mullen is) . Again Billy Ryan was very productive at centre forward - getting through a mountain of work - and more importantly end product (score or pass for score).

Laois have a very good goalie so only a spectacular shot was going to beat him - Mossy and Cody both went high in good positions (Cody's was optimistic in any case). Eoin Murphy was really good under a series of tricky high balls when Laois had the wind. Buckley was athletic and committed and it will do his confidence good - however my reservation is about his decision making on the ball against better hurlers - but I can see where he can do a job.

One small thing to correct from my perspective - was our defending of opposing runners - still we have multiple men converging on the opposition carrier - generally being undone by 'step-inwards' - instead of one checking himself and closing off the middle or taking a slightly different line - happened at least 3/4 times for scores to my mind.

Drennan was excellent again and I was a bit worried he was injured before going off but saw them all doing their sprint work on the second pitch without any signs of problems so hopefully all ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Great news, especially on Hogan. Any county (even Limerick) would love to have access to those 3 wizards. Noticeable how Lyng went out of his way to say how hard Hogan is training.

That doesnt sound like a man who intends confining Hogan to 5 min cameos. For me Hogan should start every time and bring on someone like Billy Ryan for last 15-20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I disagree. I don't think he has the legs to start. Been saying it for 3 years that the best option is bring him on against tired legs so his brain is more effective to close out games. If he starts a fit, strong corner back can just out run and out muscle him. In my opinion. 20 minute cameo as a closer.

I don't think we can go out with Richie and TJ as 2 of our starting 6 forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I agree entirely with JJ’s comments on Richie Hogan. The look of fear in the eyes of a tired defender when they would see Richie bounding onto the pitch with twenty minutes to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Good to hear the couple of injuries are clearing up. The league itself as a whole has being fierce disappointing and is a million miles from championship. Wexford played a strong team against Westmeath to avoid any fear of relegation and then send out alot of fringe players who arent near that level and get bet out the gate with people leaving at half time. Clare didnt bother against limerick and put out nearly a championship team against Wexford. Limerick were only in 3rd gear last sunday against galway.i was in portlaoise last sunday and it was terrible.

Hopefully the last 2 matches will be better because the championship isn't far away. Managers will want to be settling on a team. We know the team needs a bit of surgery. Two wing backs and a settled midfield and a forward or two to step up. Lyng has played buckley wing back in the 3 matches which suprised me. He was good last week but very poor the week before. Alot of people predicted Darragh Corcoran and blanchfield for these two spots. Lyng played Lawlor wing back in the 1st half against Tipp in thurles. I wonder could this be used later in the championship although he's one of the best full backs in the country.delaney did look sharp last weekend but opposition must be taking into consideration.Hes also used Padraig in the full back line.

Paddy mullen has started the last two games and has done well and hopefully he can hold onto a spot in midfield. He's a good striker and has a presence. Himself and Adrian could be midfield.

Deegans days in defense look to be over.John Donnelly put in a great shift in the 1st half last Sunday but it was very evident he tired half way through the 2nd half. If we could get 70 mins from him and he could hold down the number 11 jersey it would be great. Billy drennan has being very good so far but we still need to be patient.im not convinced with this league.He does look very good though.Will he make the starting 15 when everyone is back?he probably won't be far off it.

• Advertisement

I agree with last bit, starting two 34 year olds is probably too risky.

But the reality is we dont know whether Hogan has the "legs to start" because I can't remember the last meaningful championship match he started (19 final?).

Anyway, it's just really good to see Lyng on record saying he definitely feels he's got a role to play.

Cody always seemed to have something in for him (and TJ up till 2012) and this was compounded after the sending off in 2019. I have felt Cody has sent him to Coventry ever since, blaming him for the heavy defeat.

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Tank

Regarding Hugh to half back. If we could have pulled that move off in the All Ireland final it could have been the winning of it for us - Lawlor's height, speed, strength and ability to go forward through tackles would have been the ideal for reducing the influence of Hegarty. Similarly where Richie Reid was struggling physically he could have manned the full back line with one of the alternatives with Hugh coming out and Reid then going midfield (as an extra half back). The problem was we had no alternative at full back (with Padraig in the forwards and Delaney out most of the year). Having some flexibility to move Lawlor out when our half back line is in trouble is an astute move.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

One for the older members...guess the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭KK36

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

Very good, league final, KK 2-10 Galway 2-6, Christy Heffernan & Liam Fennelly with the goals

82 league final Frank Holohan captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭KK36

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Rosita

Not that it is terribly important but Reid is 36 next birthday isn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Very slow start for Kierans they were 1-4 to a point down after 15 minutes. In fairness they've kicked into gear since then with 3-5 to 0-2 for the rest of the half. The goals were from Donagh Murphy, Ted Dunne and Harry Shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

• Advertisement

Your dead right KK36 must be 1986 so.Good win for St. Kieran’s another final on st Patrick’s day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Great to see Harry Shine showing his skills today after returning from a long lay off. Hopefully the lad gets an injury free run now and gets to contribute in the final and with the under 20s where he was a big loss last year.

Very strange performance by Kierans, scored one point in first 15 mins of first half and none in 1st 15 mins of 2nd half but still ran out comfortable winners.

Pres Athenry beat Thurles by a point in second semi, in truth I thought Athenry were a good bit better and Kierans will need to be at their best in final.

No doubt we will be told the two Harty finalists couldn't motivate themselves for this secondary competition. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

It's all about the Harty lads. No kiddin. Cashel being first time winners like Tulla last year. Unbelievable achievement. It was always going to be hard for two local 'hinterland ' schools to push on against the Kilkenny minors and Athenry. Interest in the All Ireland Schools just isn't there in Munster. Ard Scoil Ris my old Alma Mater won the All Ireland last year for the first time and outside of a few diehards most people will remember Tulla's maiden Harty Cup first.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Usual Munster BS. Sure, that's why Kieran's have won all their All Irelands, the Munster teams couldn't be bothered. If a bunch of young lads can't get motivated to win an All Ireland for their schools, then they're at nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Did ye see the Cashel and Thurles young players jumping for joy after losing today! And singing, we don't want to win an All Ireland!

The reason they have won all their All Irelands is that they have a packed team. When Munster had boarding schools pulling hurlers from 20 clubs and a few counties they won them too. In those days genuine school teams like Cashel and Tulla didn't get near a Harty Cup either. In the 18 years before St Flannan's ceased boarding they won 9 Harty Cups. In the 18 years since they have won 1. In 26 years before boarding ceased at St Coleman's they won 7 Hartys. In the 20 years since they have won zero.

The Harty is now a more genuine schools' competition with a level playing field. The trade off, however, is an acceptance that there remains a team at All Ireland level which has retained the advantage that boarding schools traditionally had by bringing players from distances way beyond the reach of local schools. It makes the All Ireland a flawed competition which should always be won by St Kieran's and probably will be most years.

Galway has won 14 All Ireland Minor titles in 40 years but no All Ireland Colleges' championship. If they had an equivalent school like St Kieran's hoovering up players from all over rather than relying on schools using local players they clearly have had the talent to dominate that schools' competition.

The attitude of Munster teams re. the All-Ireland is not reflected in the very strange image portrayed here of young guys celebrating not winning it. They just don't see it as a realistic target and there's a sense of resignation at coming up against essentially a County team without the restrictions of normal catchment area or feeder Primary schools most schools operate with.

St Kieran's will appreciate the difference having lost to Offaly schools in the Leinster final. If they had to play teams drawing the same kind of pool as themselves they probably wouldn't win the All Ireland all that much as Kilkenny's Minor record in recent years demonstrates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

You do realise there's far more schools in Kilkenny than just Kierans and that a lot of children from South Kilkenny would go to school in New Ross and Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Who is the player between Christy Heffernan and Ritchie Power.

• Advertisement

Advertisement