Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MiSTer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Is there definitely no SNAC compatible USB port on the Mistercade itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,099 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Actually, it might do. I see the MiSTercade is actually listed as having a 'User I/O port', so it might just be as simple as plugging this cheaper one straight into that and completely avoiding the need for anything else:

Edit - excellent, it does! Found a diagram, it's the USB port just over the DE10 power socket.

Master of the Universe

Excellent, went with one of the above PSX adapters so we'll see how it goes when it lands.

If it works (I'm a tad concerned about the lightgun registering shots through a tinted bezel) I'll pick up the bits and pieces to get my Megadrive Justifiers going too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Cheers for the insight @o1s1n -boom, order in. Seems there it's now a pre-order thing so the wait begins. Gonna use Shipito to see if I can shave some of the customs off :) Now to get that cab home...

Master of the Universe

Excellent! looking forward to see what you think.

Do you have a DE10 set up with MiSTer all good to go?

• Advertisement

Yup, I have one setup currently for a VGA->SCART cable for use on a little Sony trini so this will go into a cab.

Master of the Universe

The PS1 Snac adapter arrived. It works absolutely perfectly with the Guncon45! Kind of hard to believe. I was convinced it wouldn't work through the tinted bezel or would be highly inaccurate. Nope, works as good as it would running on a real PS1.

Nice spot on the left hand side under the control panel to feed the Guncon cable through, it even fits in the control panel so can stay locked up in there until I need it.

This is actually my original Gcon45 that my grandparents bought me when Time Crisis 1 came out on the Playstation (think it was 96?) so lovely to have it included in this setup.

Post edited by o1s1n on

Wayhay! MiSTercade arrived yesterday (I think using Shipito.com saved me some customs costs) and tested it in the cab I have in work...and it just worked! No faff, just the initial setup on a laptop with the SDCard out and bam - gaming away with the cores listed.

The cab screen is a little dim with the brightness control up. Chassis capkit maybe? First challange, get the cab home and then tinker :)

Yes, that control panel is prob a little too offset :D

Master of the Universe

It's really impressive how easy it is to get going isn't it? Between the 'update_all' script and the wifi, it basically has an online service to keep it updated in situ.

Has the monitor always been that dim?

Before doing anything I'd follow this monitor calibration guide from the start and see how you get on. It's really well written.

The cab has been sitting for awhile, I think it might have been dim before - thank you for the link. Will go through it whenever I get his cab home before doing anything drastic (capkit, playing with the flyback bright pot and the like)

• Advertisement

Hey @o1s1n, I'm going to get one of those SNAC adapters for a bit of GunCon action, but don't have a GunCon! Are there a bunch of different versions for PSX, or just the gcon45? I see a bunch of those on eBay.

Master of the Universe

Stick with the Namco gcon45, can't be beat imo!

There are a few third party ones but from the ones I've tried over the years they haven't been great.

You can use a controller in port 2 to act as a pedal if you don't like using the action button on the gun itself.

Great, there’s a few that look in good nick on eBay! I’ve got the SNAC on the way!

Master of the Universe

Excellent! You going to use it with your Aero yeah? Be interested in seeing how it works out. If it's anything like mine it'll just be plug in and go.

Just make sure to change the controller option in the Core to 'SNAC' - there's an option for a lightgun controller but that's not actually it (confused me the first time!)

Yep, gonna use the Aero to start with. I don’t think I’ll have a nice a place to store the gun, but will figure something out!

It’s reassuring yours works through the glass overlay hence deciding to go for it!

Thanks for the config tip too!

Boom! From a standing position calibration is spot on. Sitting down, we will see.

Can’t wait to get stuck in, but the missus is away and there’s too much dangerous things in the shed for a toddler.

Master of the Universe

In my bid to try to find a nice pedal to go with my guncon, I stumbled across an amazing Japanese Hori release I've never seen before.

Basically they teamed up with the Airsoft /model gun company Marushin and released a 1:1 heavy weight Beretta guncon with a really high quality pedal.

Check it out!

I had one in my watch list and the seller dropped the price by nearly 50 USD with free postage so pulled the trigger and nabbed one!

Post edited by o1s1n on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

That looks great.

Reminded me that I had a gun back in the day with powered slide recoil like the arcade models. Made by joytech, not nearly as cool as that one but great to have the movement even if all the cables made it a bit of a mess.

Master of the Universe

That looks really great, nice heavy duty pedal with it too! Can you remember if the recoil on the gun was snappy?

Namco really did miss a trick by not including a pedal in the Gcon45/Time Crisis pack. It's such a huge part of the game and hardware wise is just a levered pedal with a button, nothing complicated or expensive.

In MiSTer related news, the Jotego arcade Outrun core has finally been made public, will appear in your games list if you run the update_all script.

Rather excitingly, an Alpha of the IREM M92 board has also been released, it's not a Jotego one so you'll need to download it from github - not 100% done yet but you can still apparently get In The Hunt, Gunforce 2, Undercover Cops and a few other M92 games running on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Inviere

Irem M92 en route (alpha availbale via manual install at the mo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Wow 😮 I haven't updated my MiSTer since about July 22, I wonder am I missing much. Was waiting for the Saturn core to go to the main release and then would do a bit of a tidy up/ROM sorting etc. Keep expecting it to get to a 'finished' point soon tbh, I imagine it's getting harder and harder to get new things running on it but I've no clue what the devs can do.

Honestly was hoping they'd start focussing on the analogue output a bit more and refining that but that seems like a bit of a touchy subject. Always surprised (and saddened 🙁) to see some of them say they'd rather it was digital only. Probably a pita to develop both maybe.

Master of the Universe

MiSTercade & stick it into an arcade machine with a CRT - all the analogue output you need 😀

Yeah I'd definitely say they're coming to the end of what they can push through the DE10 with regards to newer games - CPS3 is being worked on at the moment which should be an interesting one to follow.

Still quite a lot of 2D items to go though, I'd love to see an IGS PGM core released, would be a lovely compliment to the Neo Geo core.

Haha, but what about RF and composite 😁

Not 100% sure but I think they were saying as MiSTer outputs RGBHV(TTL?5v?) that's where some of the odd things can come from. Arcade monitors operate on that sync right so you don't get any cut offs? Or it's the same and you just quickly access the pots and move it around on a core by core basis?

Kind of expect it to get settled at some stage with maybe a new IO board/some core changes tbh but maybe it's a harder problem. Personally I think it's a lot of money to spend to play on a flat screen at this stage, when it comes to the vast majority of people anyway.

I know a Jag CD was donated to a core dev recently too, and while not exactly exciting in a traditional sense, it'll still be amazing to preserve the games through this method (along with the fantastic BigPEMU developements also.) CPS3 is in the works as you mention, as are some Konami board/chip developments (Turtles, Aliens, etc). Console wise I'm sure we'll see the 3DO make an appearance at some stage too, and then I think at that point, short of the arcade cores, that'll cover all of the big hitters that the DE10 can actually handle in reality.

Post edited by Inviere on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

From memory it was probably not far off the arcade. Some tear downs online show it has a sizable motor driving the slide. Though it does make a racket when you're not in a busy arcade setting.

Master of the Universe

You do still get some cut off, I was putting that down to the MiSTer emulating the arcade board 1:1 rather than video signals (you'd get a similar thing happening with actual arcade boards and would need to make pot adjustments on a game by game basis)

As I don't have a remote board for this particular cabinet, I leave the vertical/hori pot adjustments aligned with CPS2/Neo Geo as they tend to be the most centered. If a game has anything cut off beyond that I just live with it. In general if you tend to lose anything, it's just a bit of a scoreboard.

I really cannot wait for more of those classic Konami titles to come out alright. Side scrollers like Turtles, Xmen and The Simpsons are such cornerstones of an arcade game library.

Mister will output RGBHV or RGBS through its VGA port. You can connect it to a TV using an RGB SCART cable. For the most part, anything I've played arcade and console looks good on a consumer set. Arcade games tend to have a bit more tops and bottoms of screens hidden, but console games are spot on.

There's also support for S-Video and Composite, and a lot of Arcade cores include the ability to adjust the screen position a little.

Master of the Universe

Hah, yeah I had a different one years ago with a movable slide (I think it was a logic3?) but it was so loud you'd hear it in the next room, couldn't really use it without driving everyone mental!

The author of this channel was obviously reading our comments (not really), he just dropped an new Mister update video with updates on everything we're talking about here (great channel btw, and great way of keeping updated on Mister news & developments.)

CPS3, Outrun, M92, PC-FX, 3DO, Konami, and a secret core in development which is exciting!

• Advertisement

Ah yeah I’ve zero complaints really, the thing is amazing, I get some amount of use/enjoyment from it (outrageous really that I can just get something of this quality on a crt without having to buy games or a system). I barely notice it on my Sony and I’m not looking for perfection or anything. But I’ve got the hpos at 0 which is not ideal really and then with the 2 new CRTs, 1 will definitely need to be opened to adjust for the MiSTer, 1 hopefully can be done through the remote, and then if I plug another system in to the TVs that will end up suffering so it feels a bit as if they’re all now dedicated MiSTer Tvs.

1st world problems etc but does seem like like analogue support is secondary to digital as part of its mission or something? Like the point is to preserve games on modern screens. Seen some people (devs on it!) say ‘you’re lucky it’s supported at all’ ☹️

With the RGBHV I think it’s that the conversion to RGBS is done outside of the core so it doesn’t end up matching what a real system would have outputted.

Ignore, wrong, wrong, wrong. This is just normal 'RGB shift' that PAL tvs have it looks like. I need to stop trying to understand this stuff.

Post edited by Mucashinto on

Advertisement