Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,137 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yeah, I know, It's a load of nonsense.

Even the mystique surrounding the Monarchy contributes tens of millions of pounds to the media industry and arts. The huge popularity of the period dramas like  The Crown and  Victoria is just an illustration of that .

The ‘Meghan Markle effect’ is also astonishing. The fairytale-type marriage of Harry and Meghan generated an estimated £500 million, of which, £200 million came from tourism, travel, and hotels.

In 2013, the birth of Prince George, now second in line to the throne, generated an estimated £247 million in UK retail sales.

Complete and absolute bollíx.

If they want to make money, abolish them, sell the 60 billion in assets and give Disney a license to setup a theme park in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Isn't this how "theories" work? You take note of something, propose an explanation and make a prediction. The something being that BackGrid are often cited as the source for papped shots of the Sussexes since they moved to the US. A pattern is established. The explanation being that this might not be a coincidence, that the Sussexes are not papped at all and use BackGrids known and confirmed service of taking arranged candid shots of celebrities. The prediction is then that the next time we see "papped" shots of them then it will likely be via BackGrid and that a majority of pictures in future will stem from this agency because there is an arrangement in place. That becomes a working theory. Going forward then the more times we see papped shots via BackGrid then this supports the working theory.

Like all theories they can be debunked but lumping it in as conspiracy is unreasonable. It would be a conspiracy theory if I rejected anything attempting to debunk it. I don't accept the standard explanation of it being a paparrazi hot bed exclusive restaurant because they've been in the news since well before Christmas with the series and then the book, have surely been out and about yet we see very few papped shots unless they are via BackGrid.

There is nothing inherently wrong with them using such a service since they are celebrities and need exposure. My point is if this theory is even remotely accurate then how does it square away with Harry and his professed loathing of the media. It can't so as I said they get the benefit of the doubt but even to those supportive and sympathetic then the above theory, as mentioned, is reasonable and should come across as a suspicious pattern.

That's exactly how conspiracy theories work as I have already pointed out.

If you have any credible tangible evidence to support your theory, than by all means link it up.

Remember the photo of Meghan walking the dog while holding Archie and smiling directly at the camera? BackGrid. Any of the intermittent times they get reported on since then it seems that BackGrid are always there with photos. That was a week after Megxit. Recognised and reported on while shopping despite looking unrecognisable wearing facemasks and hats. BackGrid. Photos of them at Dinner in October 2021 taken from a closed private beach yet the photographer getting the ideal angle to see and confirm it is them inside. BackGrid. Even innocuous things like collecting a car from a valet. BackGrid. Most photos of Harry playing polo. BackGrid. Photos of them driving around aimlessly in the vicinity of Oprahs house. BackGrid. Every time they do a date night such as the recent one. BackGrid.

BackGrid. BackGrid. BackGrid. I think Harry should write them a strongly worded letter.

I am making a bold prediction. Next time we see papped shots it will be BackGrid. 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

It’s the same for the royal family though and most people in the public eye. They call the paps or the media to take pictures and write reports about them. This isn’t a unique to Meghan and Harry thing.

• Advertisement

That is just more conspiracy theories, I asked for credible tangible evidence.

You don't have any, do you?

You don't see a pattern. Really? I've made my prediction. Will post the pics next time they get "papped".

I see a pattern of conspiracy theories with absolute zero evidence to support any of your claims.

Again

a theory that rejects the standard explanation for an event and instead credits a covert group or organization with carrying out a secret plot:

So Harry and Meghan do use media and the paps? The ones saying the media harrass them?

Can you provide links as I have a working theory which I can lump them in with as support for all the times they've hired BackGrid for such a service.

But they use it just like all the other celebs. Give the time and place. Show up. Get "papped". Get coverage. I gave you multiple examples of them using a specific agency considering all the celebs supposedly do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

It’s obvious to me that many celebrities use paparazzi to generate stories and pictures about them. Harry & Meghan are probably no different and might be hoping some of their positive pictures / stories would deflect or distract from the daily negative headlines about them.

I think Meghan has been very quiet since the book launch with the recent appearance at the exclusive club pictures the first since Spare was published. Am struggling to finish Spare myself. Maybe next month!

But they use it just like all the other celebs.

Repeating something will never make it true. You have offered zero evidence, none, zilch.

theory that rejects the standard explanation

Let me break it down for you. Here is the plausible standard explanation.

You have 2 of the most recognisable people on the planet, who can command extended interviews with the main players in media, have media orgs and publishing houses throwing fortunes at them, they are breaking all sorts of records, they have a thread on here with 15,000 posts and 3 quarters of a million views, a fair percentage of those are actually yours. They are the top 1% percentile of paparazzi bait, their photos are guaranteed to make the top sum. They are most recently photographed going into the most exclusive private club in Hollywood where the paps camps basically outside of.

So the logical conclusion and only real conclusion, uber famous people got their picture taken.

and instead credits a covert group or organization with carrying out a secret plot:

Your theory is no one really cares about them and they are effectively paying paps to take their photos.

It's ludicrous, it's nonsensical and above all else it's the literal definition of a conspiracy theory.

They are the top 1% of paparazzi bait? There was a study done on that yeah? Maybe Harry needs to sue BackGrid or write them a strongly worded letter I suppose.

Where are all these lucrative pap photos? Why the need for using other irrelevant photos and footage for their docu series then if they are so sought after? Why regurgitate what his mother went through and which they clearly didn't go through? Face it, they command none of the paparazzi attention you suggest. They need to manipulate in order to create a victim narrative. There is a market for tea spilling and real life soap opera. They arouse intermittent interest at best and this thread of which you are a contributor yourself goes into the doldrums for a week or two at a time and then we all go round in circles pointing out the same regurgitated points again and again. Like the Sussexes we're all one trick ponies too but they are now peers of the likes of Real Housewives and such ilk and whatever brand they have was annihilated to the point of ridicule. Celebs actually do the pap hire but to suggest the superstar Sussexes might be at it then it makes one a conspiracy theorist. Ok then. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Conspiracy theories?

Seriously - open your eyes once in a while. Not everything in life is written down in stone presented to some beardy guy on the top of a mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

If the photo of Meghan walking the dog while holding Archie happened in Canada, it was the RF leaked their whereabouts and then pulled their security. Only senior members of the Royal Family knew where they were (Charles & William) so they were the ones who leaked it. There is absolutely no reason why they would have wanted publicity at that stage.

I don't think you know how these photo agencies work. Basically Backgrid are a marketing/sales platform for celeb photos. About a 1000 freelance photographers/paps sell their photos through Backgrid (check out their website to see how they operate. Anyone can sell or buy a photo through Backgrid if its good/relevant enough.

So, anytime you see a Backgrid reference, it just means that they hold/protect the copyright of the photographer who is more than likely a freelancer because he wants to sell his photos to multiple outlets all over the world.

If they used photos from the Paps in their documentaries, they would have to pay for them as the backgrid/photographers hold the copyright. No doubt there are many celebs who use the paparazi on occasion, but they do deserve some privacy as well to go about their business. There is a video of Prince William getting very angry with a very polite pap for taking photos of him out cycling with the kids. Do you think that was staged? How do you explain why William was so annoyed? Why was a pap trying to take photos of William out cycling with the kids when they could get any amount of photos they want if they asked?

So Charles and William definitely do pap calls but Harry and Meghan definitely do not. Gotcha.

So absolutely zero evidence. Literally a figment of someone's imagination which was latched onto and presented as fact.

We got there, it took a bit.

There is such a thing as the Royal Rota:

The Royal Rota is the press pool that covers the British royal family. The Royal Rota is made up of a select group of media representatives that are invited to attend and report on royal events, with the understanding that the news and photographs taken at the event will be freely shared with other members of the media.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Rota

Harry and Meghan resigned from this rota system some time back.

edit: And bearing in mind H&M have legal cases with most the tabloid British media over invasion of privacy, you hardly think they would risk telling the paps to be there to take their photos. You think the British tabs would keep quite about that that when the chances are that some of them maybe shut down over invasion of privacy legal cases by various people which includes Prince Harry.🤣

I've said nothing is a fact. In fact you are the one stating facts here. (e.g. 1% percentile). I've obviously made it clear that in my opinion they are using pap calls to maintain a profile, that they do so because they are generally irrelevant. Opinions aren't facts. The winding up and deflection from your end really does propel this thread. 👍

• Advertisement

that they do so because they are generally irrelevant.

Yet here you are perpetually posting about them. 🤷‍♀️

You can still hate them whilst acknowledging the reality that they are one of the famous couples on the planet, and not some D-List Big Brother runner up who pays the paps to take their pics.

It's the media that gives them 10s of millions. Not the other way around. Because they sell, in record fashion.

The book is still number 1 on the NYT best seller list.

But but but, they are irrelevant. 🙄

And there it is. I'm obsessed. Hateful. Usual deflections. I'd go for infamous couple to describe them myself. So loaded he's doing Live Streams and charging people $30 to listen in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

infamous couple 😂

Yeah. They're famous globally but for negative reasons. Example. The recent South Park episode which was not exactly complimentary.

Both of them? Clarkson at least had the wherewithal to not include Fred.

Post edited by valoren on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Are they though?

I mean just cos you're on here day after day bitching about them over one thing or another doesn't mean the rest of the world looks at them in the same light

Also, South Park taking the piss out of them isn't the great example you think it is. They've taken the piss out of hundreds of celebrities over the past 25 years. Do the general public have a negative view of all those people aswell? 🤔

Infamous ffs 😂

Yeah sure I'm here day after day bitching about them. Ffs. I'm interested in it and post thoughts about developments, keeping a thread going on a bulletin board forum. I prefer here as opposed to the more hectic spaces which also follow this. His book was a best seller so clearly there is a general interest in it all. I was supportive of them leaving as a matter of fact but it has been a fascinating car crash since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

In Canada they were protected by Canadians and they pulled the plug after protests of people disagreeing with funding it.

Do you really believe such things like their whereabouts could have been kept secret and must have been leaked by RF? They did official outings there...

Yeah, it was a top secret

• Advertisement

That is when they went to Canada initially for a few months and when they proposed to work as part time royals living in Canada. When they were told they could not do that they went to Vancouver island and the only people who knew where they were Charles & William. They said that very clearly on the Netflix film and none of the royal experts (i.e., the royal family) have refuted it. They had royal security there which was pulled at short notice and they were beseiged by paparazi. This is when Tyler Perry stepped in and got them out of there in his private plane to his house in LA.

Charles and William really must have wanted Meghan dead, because at that stage she was the evil witch who had changed Charles' darling boy, Harry.

Advertisement