Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - BusConnects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The forthcoming DLRCoCo transport plan for the Dundrum area will certainly be an interesting document!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

As far as I know, this was a quick fix for the capacity issues at the existing Luas terminus, so perhaps they decided to not waste time trying to get the developer of the old shopping centre site to play ball?

It's could definitely have been done better, mind you. I doesnt even look like there's provision for any RTPI poles.

Well timetables are probably more informative at termini (which this will be) than RTPI poles to be honest, given that drivers may not have signed on to their duty.

That is true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Folks- what’s the best route planner app to use to figure out how to get from A to B using PT?

Ive put in getting from the Rathfarnham area to liffey valley in google maps using PT and it tells me to use a taxi part of the way for a 50min route or a bus into and out of town for a 1hr 20min route?

• Advertisement

Depends on where you are going from.

You’re looking at about 1:10 minimum allowing for walking to stops and waiting for a connection.

The fastest non-city centre option would be the 75 or 175 (depending on where you start) to Tallaght and then the 76/76a from there.

Tweak the settings under advanced options in Google maps.

The other option is the TFI live app.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I tend to use Google Maps for planning out routes I haven't taken before. It seems to be the best at showing the alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

I like using route planner on Google Maps, but it has limitations.

On the Northside I find the N4 route extremely useful, but Google Maps never suggests the route I take. I head out of town, catch the N4 then head back towards my destination.

It's by far the quickest route for my journey and avoids transferring in town. Will check next time if TFI suggests same route.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lightleader78

Has anyone heard of a possible date that Phase 5 will be starting on? Just want to make sure I have filmed all the bus routes changing in Phase 5, before they change.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The terminus for the C1 and C2 route is at St Johns Church in Sandymount.

This used to be the terminus for the 1 route, and normally there would be 0, 1, or at most 2 buses parked up waiting to go.

Now there are up to 4 buses parked up - in fact there is insufficient room for all these buses. Is there some logic for this? If there is, it escaped me.

Would it not make sense to extend at least one of these routes to St Vincent's University Hospital? It would add a few minutes but add a huge trip generator.

• Advertisement

I've noticed when on the 47 towards town, more often than not when it uses that stop it needs to stop out from the kerb as the stop is full of buses for the C1/C2.

So had a brief look at google maps...

Here we can see two PAs parked up at the bus stop (stop 381), essentially blocking the 47 from pulling in and making it difficult for passengers to see one coming

Stop 7000 - in essence - is the "terminus" stop for the C1/C2, which most of the time seems to be empty.

It seems to be plenty big enough for 2-3 buses to lay over. The issue is to do with the parking opposite this stop along the church wall. This parking would need to be removed so that cars can still drive down the road, but there would be issues with people potentially parking there anyways unless it was enforced.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

But why do the buses lay up there - there are no facilities for drivers. If one route went up to Vincent's there might be sense in it. It would serve Sydney Parade Dart as well as the hospital, and allow Sydney Parade to hospital for those hard of walking.

There are no driver facilities at the vast majority of suburban termini in Dublin. That’s nothing new. St. John’s Church has been a bus terminus since God knows when.

So, where would they terminate at SVH, and in fact is there sufficient space anywhere there to do so?

A proper bay for buses to layover would be required plus turning facilities.

The extra distance involves additional driving, crossing the DART line and two busy junctions which could add delays which would eat into the schedule, and it would require a timetable recast with longer running times and maybe more vehicles, and this would require revised driver rosters as well.

Layover time is a necessary part of any bus schedule. It is built in as a buffer against potential delays en route, as without it the whole schedule would collapse.

Yes, but two trip generators would be added.

The turn would be straight forward if they could pass the hospital front door as there is a circuit. Layup might be a problem, but there is space opposite Tesco with a large bus stop.

Of course they could continue up to UCD.

It would effect the timetable but so did the creation of the C1/C2 routes.

So where exactly would the buses turn and lay over?

You cannot just re-route buses past “the front door”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

L13 will serve these areas linking Sandymount with the hospital and UCD, however, a frequency will not be great.

Re Dart cross at Sydney Parade we should close it for any traffic apart a public transport.

There are many areas BusConnects could have been done better. Lots of missed opportunities, but a rather more conservative approach has been taken.

The bus turns right at Merrion Centre travelling south, and stops at the bus stop just round the corner, and lays up. Bus stop is not numbered. On resumption, travels up Nutley lane as far as the lights, turns left past the hospital front door and keeps on the the traffic lights opposite the church and stops at the stop there (479). Resumes journey.

The bus would use the hospital as a turn and would not stop. Passengers would start at stop 479.

Has the advantage that the Merrion Centre would have facilities for drivers, inc coffee to go.

While that might work as a potential terminus, you're still adding a major bottleneck to the service in the form of the level crossing and the two junctions on Merrion Road.

That could cause serious problems for reliability along the rest of the route towards Lucan.

And it would need more buses and drivers to operate, something Dublin Bus don't have right now.

Well the service need only be 20 mins or 30 min frequency.

With up to four buses hanging around St Johns church at a time, one missing would not be missed. Add in the facility of the Merrion Centre with the chance to grab a coffee, then it could be a popular diversion for the drivers.

• Advertisement

You are missing the point - it would still need additional running time and driver and bus resources, which the company doesn't have.

Layover time is there for a reason - it's a buffer against unexpected delays. Look at the frequency of the C1 and C2 and that will explain why there can be so many buses at the terminus.

OK, I see what you are saying, but surely that is just short term thinking. It is an obvious extension to provide extra trip opportunities off ered by Sydney Parade and St University Hospital. Just avoiding having to park at the hospital would make it an attractive option for many.

The 47 offers that but with a frequency that is woeful, so the buses are empty.

I still would not be sending buses on a Spine route along a road that has a busy level crossing, as that could potentially cause serious delays to the schedule for the rest of the route heading towards Lucan.

The Spines are supposed to be based on integrated schedules between the different spine routes, and adding that extra potential for delays would not be a wise move.

Why not run the L13 at 30 minute intervals instead?

The planning application for Templeogue/Rathfarnham to City Centre CBC is now live at the link below.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Thanks for posting. It seems there will be a lot of reliance on bus priority signals when there is not enough room for bus lanes. The existing one coming in to Rathmines from the Rathgar side works reasonably well, so hopefully these will too.

I had concerns the bus gate in Rathmines will not be adhered to as it's not 24 hours, but traffic going in to the city won't be able to continue over Portobello bridge anyway, so there's no big incentive for most drivers to breach the bus gate. In fact the design ensures there is no obvious way for cars from Rathgar, Terenure or Rathfarnham to get to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Why will traffic not be able to cross over portobello bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

The only inbound lane on and after portabello bridge is a bus lane until you get to the Wexford St/Kevin St/Cuffe St junction. (Except a small bit for traffic turning left from South Circular/Harrington road to go inbound. But they then have to immediately turn turn at the Bleeding Horse and go via Harcourt Street.)

Everything else heading inbound from Rathmines has to turn left and go west along the canal, not over the bridge.

Yes it will be interesting to see how this goes down with the great public at large as it involves a lot of changes in traffic flows, with a lot of bus-only restrictions and bus gates.

It will need some selling by politicians, but frankly there aren't really any other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭cgcsb

If a 'busgate' doesn't deter drivers then a short stretch of bus lane also will not deter drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

FWIW, there’s two bus gates in Tallaght and they’re fairly well adhered to. The odd chancer, nothing terrible.

Advertisement