Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota bz4X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

That quote from the Toyota engineer, reminds me of similar one "Yes, well, apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?”

In fairness, I hope that Toyota eventually do get their act in gear on the EV front. Not that they haven't had ample opportunity over the years, complacency (as evidenced) breeds stagnation but competition breeds innovation and if they finally start to push properly in the EV world, we can only imagine what the other manufacturers will come up with to stay ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,122 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That's what the Japanese always did, get a run of the mill car or motorbike and build their version to a much higher standard where everything works and keeps working. Maybe now they'll get their arses in gear and actually build a decent bev, that bxbz whatever it's called is dreadful on every front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Agree with this. The BZ4X seems half baked in nearly every single respect. The just resigned CEO really held them back with his refusal to go all in on EVs. I'd wait for the next model cycle before buying a Toyota EV now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

I saw Bjorn got one. He released the lights test but I imagine soon will come the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The 1000 km challenge was a disaster.

14 hrs 25 mins was the time.

I saw some of the livestream.

Looked like coldgate AND possibly rapidgate*.

The rapidgate looked to be some form of BMW i4 style after x amount of charges in a day we throttle back the charging power rather then hot battery per se.

Its astonishing to think that on exact same route the Model S Plaid was 5 hours faster.

Toyota will need to do better.

*later in the challenge.

• Advertisement

Buzz kill :) I was expecting that, but didn't want to be the one bringing the bad news. I told my piece long time ago, but I'm not a respected youtuber, just a physicist/engineer working in cutting edge tech for the last 20+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm wondering how Vim is getting on with his car. Was posting fairly regularly before collecting telling us how great the car was going to be but hasn't posted much since he collected it 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

We’ve been in a bit of a cold snap the last week or so too…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Have a heart man, he is likely either looking for the wheel nuts that fell off or is still waiting for the car to finish charging after he went too far from home. :)

Im sure he will be back with a review of hows its better than every other car in the world, deep deep down though, he will know he has a lemon but likely wont admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Fanboy central in here. Tesla total assets - $82b. Toyota total assets $582b. Volkswagen total assets €528b. That's just two of them. The big boys are coming for daddy Elon and his generic background cars from early Pixar films with Ford Mondeo front ends. Hence his all in gamble on Twitter - he knows without you guys and being able to steer your opinions, the emperor's nudity would be exposed for all to see. Enjoy it while it lasts, the end is in sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

🤣 There clearly are too many Tesla fanboys when you can now include Toyota engineers.

What does a companies TA have to do with the current crop of cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

So Toyota make more money than VW but couldn't make a better EV than something VW released over 2 years ago, even while teaming up with Subaru to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭KCross

What is the debt pile for both companies? Serious question, I'd like to know. I think its in the 100s of billions, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I will give you this, the first sentence was correct, assuming you are referring to youself.

After that, drivel. Started off well, downhill from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭petronelduca

I see a lot of bitterness inside your soul.

Have you anything nice to say about..... anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Its not too bad of a result, giving its there first electric car, I see a mercedes eqv doing it in 14 hours and a tesla model s 85 doing it in 12 both costing a lot more,

The fanboyism is hilarious, reminds me of a competitor of the company I work for, every chance ,they bad mouthed us, we survived the recession in 2010's and they are gone,

Toyota at the moment have no interest in EV's, this is no more than a test product, without the continuous warranty work that the model s needed.

I would bet, that the next push from them would be a phev line up, just as 5 years ago they stopped diesel sales, used there existing hybrid tech in each model, nothing major really needed only a beefed up motor, bigger battery pack and a charging system, a single 80 kWh pack from a M3 LR is enough for 6 new prius phevs, which would do most peoples daily driving and for a 1000 km run would only cost 90 euro in petrol, and from my calculations its the same price as doing 1000km in a model 3 LR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Did Toyota drop the ball on the bz. For sure. Will they succeed in the future , I would say yes given their proven record. Tesla is leading atm but so was Nokia and BlackBerry.

Only takes one product to undo all.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

You mean this result?

a 2013 car? 8 years old at the test time. The tech leaped since. I think it is a counterargument to the bz. If an 8 years old car can finish in under 12h a brand new car which is based on "... Toyota’s world-leading experience in electrified vehicle technology" should do better. So no buying that is a good result for a first EV when they say they are the world-leading in electrified tech. Sorry.

But lets not focus on Tesla. My old 2019 Kona beats it with over 2h in his test. Costs half the price, has brand new battery, yet to be DC charged, tonight just passed the NCT. In fact I have 2 for sale, for the price of bz. But hey Lexus didn't beat it, nor Honda. There is no test for Mazda but I'd imagine will be there with the bunch. So indeed they are not taking EV serious which is why the whole backlash. Unfortunately you are right, it is a test vehicle paid with real money by real people who buy into the brand loyalty without realizing they are nothing more than some lab rats for the company.

Could I please ask why are you selling the 2 Konas?

• Advertisement

Because I bought 2 Teslas. Not really me personally but the company I work for. We had some Konas one which was driven by me for the last 4 years. But the point is that you can buy 2 cars with the same money which in many ways are better that the new 2022/23 car.

Thanks for the reply.

So, if I understand correctly you are just the user of an EV, without putting your finances to it so far.

Perhaps you can buy 2 cars for the price of one Toyota, no denying in it, but one can only drive one car at the time.

Whoever wants a Kona can go ahead and buy it, whoever wants a Bz4z can do the same. Is a matter of taste and personal circumstances.

I drove a Leaf gen 1.5 for 5 years, until 2 years ago.... the ugliest car I've ever seen, but the best car for my own circumstances.

I guess some of us here could do with a little bit more empathy and realise that our own situation will not apply to everyone.

I a one of the idiots buying a bz4x, I'm aware there is a better choice out there, but I also know that the battery, as **** as some of us consider it, will benefit the warranty until the year 10, when possibly, some konas would be long time written off.

It is a bet I'm willing to take, as it greatly fits my circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

10-year warranty means a lot, I see one post yesterday about a Kona battery replacement, and Bjorn's model S also received one at least.

I guess some of us here could do with a little bit more empathy and realise that our own situation will not apply to everyone.

I'm discussing only facts about the car and not situations of different people. So I can't empathize with the car. If you read carefully I say that it is not fair to treat badly the customers as the company does, by bringing a lemon to the market. Should this be a Porche or Merc thread I wouldn't have bothered. There is no point in going down the rattlin bog of who owns who and what. Let's stick to the facts. Prove me wrong in what I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

I didn't have heart to post that Toyota Engineers' opinion about Model Y here. I didn't see the need to take a shine of the new wheels of the owners here. But it was kind of funny using the 2013 Model S when 8 years old as an example that it was only two hours faster than the new Toyota. Those cars also had an unlimited miles battery warranty, and for the reason, as they were pretty much prototype vehicles at the time. Some folk put huge miles on them in the 8 years warranty period. Also, funnily enough, I think the Leaf 62 also completed the test in 14 hours something when it was driven very skillfully in winter.

The BZ4X is going to be just fine for most of the folks and as said here the 10 year warranty is fab, not that it will ever be needed I think on a Toyota. Just that it's not a class leading design. For people with no prior EV experience they will be great cars I think.

I’d say a lot of Taxi drivers (who’ll go in blind to EV’s, and purely based on brand loyalty) will all get burned though by the poor range and less than optimal charging abilities of the car..

And then say EVs aren't up to it rather than say it's a Toyota issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭eltoastero

Just seen one of Bjorn's videos (the efficiency one) where he mentions there a hard limit of 2x Fast DC charges per 24 hours (then it throttles to 40kW). That's a bit wild, and not something that most would know about - people will get caught out by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I'd just note the point that taxi drivers and others have been using 40 kwh Leafs with rapidgate issues for up to FIVE years now......

On the Leaf 40 kW is pretty near *full* speed at the first charge.

Yes it's a problem and the BZ4x is a poor product.

But on a 2wd model used in city or rural driving.

It will likely be north of 300 miles in a day before you hit the problem.

And unlike the Leaf - this sounds like an issue Toyota could mitigate via BMS software updates.

I could see on car scanner or whatever Bjorn uses that the battery temp was fairly similar to what it was when car was allowing 100 kW plus early in the 1000 km challenge....

Edit.......

The 300 mile thing......

You might drive 120 miles to the first charge.....

2nd charge at 200 miles.....

Its the 3rd charge at 300 miles where you hit the issue and even then the impact will depend on how much charge you need at the 3rd charge. So 350 miles should be okay as at 300 miles you'd only need enough charge to do 50 more miles or thereabouts.....

• Advertisement

this sounds like an issue Toyota could mitigate via BMS software updates

I wonder though if they did this could it put them into danger territory with their warranty whereby they claim the battery will retain 70%* of its capacity after 10 years.

*didn’t they have to unlock 10% of the battery which was kept in the buffer via a software update recently as the range was so poor on the car? So presumably they had such a high buffer to begin with to allow them offer such a fantastic battery warranty…. So let’s say if the buffer was 20% it would mean total capacity of 120% so it would need to degrade by something like 20% (buffer) plus an extra 30% before they got anywhere near warranty claims.. but now that they’ve unlocked 10%, that means there’s less to degrade to hit the magical 70% warranty claim point…

I wonder is the limit of 2 DC charges a day there to try and protect the battery so it makes it to 10 years without serious degradation?

Advertisement