Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭mf240

Make up yere mind lads, im after ordering an acustic violin and i wont get my deposit back .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Unless oruna are getting a significant premium over current wholesale commodity prices of 10 plus cent, their is alot of misplaced optimism on here, a butter/smp mix sold today at current Eu prices is returning circa 35 cent after processing costs etc, bit better further out on commodity markets but the cheese market is low 30's and wmp a little bit better....

If base milk price averaged anywhere over 44 cent for the June cheque I'll be pleasantly surprised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

short term there is another price correction comming but grounds for optimism ….the energy index ornua have built in for energy cost will/should take a fair drop if it hasn’t already ….unfourtnate weather event in New Zealand will curtail supply there …enviro restrictions will curb supply as well ….somewhere in region of 45 base should be well achievable for peak looking at where markets are going atm ……local board men are still talking down milk price tho despite all this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,703 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

At a base of 45, a milk price of 50c or over with solids adjustments etc wouldn't be too bad. Just need the inputs to go down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭green daries

Except the average cost of production is 50 cent at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,829 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,938 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

France, Northern Spain, Northern Italy, Germany and Holland all very dry at the moment, rainfall well below average, water levels low.

They are now badly positioned for water if this year is normal, in trouble if it is like last year or 2018.

Over the next 12 months there are things that can push it back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

. Trying to look at the positives, cull cows prices and drought help prices. Alot of Western Europe under pressure for water already

On the negative side, I can't see but that there will definitely be a drought here this year. We're well over due ElNno and the way the yr is starting off it looks like it's setting up.

The coops cash flows are under pressure atm due to expensive fert stocks. They wont admit it pubicially but there's a couple of c/l going into balancing the books until that fert is off loaded weither we like it or not. Once that's cleared that will help milk price imo

• Advertisement

Ya agreed I would be slightly worried it may be July before the main ones fall enough especially meal and electricity can't actually see any of the other costs which have all risen coming back down to be honest I think meal fertiliser electricity and oil to a slightly lesser degree will drop during the year....with the caviat that the milk price will be dropping in front of it

Right folks who's ready for a may base of 36/37 cent at current imput prices...... should make for an interesting spring and summer

Lakelands have cut 6 cent off for February

Not been smart but that cut was expected ….12 cent across 2 months is huge .markets have steadied and bounced recently and we should in no way expect cuts of that severity next month on we’re all talking ourselves into 40 and below base making it easy for boards and management .coop balance sheets are strong after last year when they shielded 🙄🙄us from the real market peaks time now to use some of that …..especially when they are still charging extortionate prices for fertiliser and meal

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

And yet the lorry driver tell me this evening of a dairy farmer giving €780 an acre for rental ground for 10 yrs.either he’s a genius and knows something we don’t,or an absolute clown.

at this rate glanbia will be sub 40 base price for February or March given their base is already 45

It was and there going for another one next month mj. it's as you say just a matter of what the fuckers can get away with. it's some whiplash of a turn around took six months to rise the price and two to drop it .I agree re the supports there should be plenty in the system to prop things for a while. every farmer should contact their board member in their respective coop and pressure them to hold the price.

On another note anyone have a rough idea of their cost of production for the last 6 to 7weeks be running close to 50 here I reckon at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Milk price can't drop fast enough for some of these ejits..400-450 the run of things around here with some bits up to near 600..

A fella made the point to me today that most of these farms are ltd. companies now so will bid whatever now to get land and aren't too worried about paying or being able to pay the last couple of years rent as they aren't personally on the hook..he may have a point

agree ….your last point is so relevant ….there’s an onus on every supplier to contact and lobby there board and rep committee representatives …far too little do this ..no point complaining on social media etc …saying that too many board men hide behind there position and forget why and who elected them ……another 6 cent cut for Lakeland is 18 cent in 3 months lads should sit down and see what that 18 cent will do to there income ….might wake them up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭orm0nd

No disrespect meant to you mj but I gave up trying to fight the cause well over 20 years ago.

Waste of time and you end up with high bp and mental distress.

The sh1t that goes on behind closed doors is unreal..

And you're correct, some of the board are the biggest offenders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Contact your committee member is a waste of time.I know a few on my co-op centenary and the basic truth is that the boss comes in and tells the committee that glanbia are paying x this month and that’s it.all committee is for is to cover the rules legally and just fulfill legal requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭farmertipp

especially when you have no brain board members who have nothing to add but loyalty to management like a pet dog. dg board is the pits. quiet a number of them retired "sharefarming "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Current trading prices for smp/wmp/chedder etc don't even support a base price of 40 cent a litre, I reckon that's hopefully the point co-ops will pull price down to for the may/June flush and hold it their and prop it up and in the autumn/winter price will rebound when the taps are turned of in Europe,and milk gets short again, like early 2022.....

If they go below 40 cent a litre the job will be a right-off

It’s incredibly frustrating ….trust me ….I’m involved at rep level with my coop and old school politics and you scratch my back I’ll scratch yours shite is still heavily prevailant ….best candidates for board seats don’t always get elected due to voting pacts ,clicks and sitting board members wanting there man /woman in to have another ally ….there is younger really good guys comming thru on rep committee but it’s a steep uphill task to take a board seat

are you arrabawn I think? same all over . though we did have a good board 5 yrs ago who were interested in getting paid for their product

Bank man was asking me to explain the glanbia milk pricing system today, was a long conversation

Arrabawn down 6 cent …..gloss quickly gone off our leading milk price last year ….and so much for the 30 million we spent on our casein plant that was meant to deliever us an advantage in milk price and efficiency within coop …..

dg down 6

Glanbia 39.08 cpl base price including vat, then some makey up payments to bring it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

When they drop fert prices then that will be the excuse to drop the Agri input support payment. So probably looking at around 40 cent base for most of the year you'd imagine.

Advertisement