Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

Same here both my neighbours have phev cars..they plug in all through summer times when the drive way is free..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm the same, mate has an EV and we went off golfing so he plugged in, no one in my neighbourhood has an EV or PHEV though so come high generation months I'll be export limiting into the grid

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Yeah, hat's off there. It's a class thing to do.

Try not to sweat it. I was that soldier 6 months ago when we went live. Checking, checking... :) Takes a while to learn what to use and when to maximise it. And it's the long game. Kit will run for 20+ years. So a few weeks or months is a drop in the ocean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

My street is full of PHEVs that never plug in, maybe I'll start plugging them into my Zappi on sunny days and do the world a favour 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

That's the problem with PHEVs. If charged, they are good on emissions (as running on battery). If not, they are worse than ICE cars as are heavier so take more motion lotion to fuel them. I've an EV and if I don't charge it, I can't drive :) So it forces my behaviour change to charge.

Am not knocking PHEVs, knocking those that don't charge them and don't realise it costs them more on motion lotion and heavier on emissions (lose, lose)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Picked up the Sunsynk 8.8kW today, so my 5.5kW is available for immediate pickup!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I had a kia niro phev as a rental over the weekend. Shocking thing really, gutless in EV only mode, but the economy when the battery was empty was surprisingly good. 5.2l-5.5l/100km even on the motorway at 140. Average for my 700km was 5.2l/100km, and would have been better if I could have charged more.

You should start selling them here - the 8.8kW!

How is that wired btw, is it 2 larger strings or are there more than 2 strings available inputs to connect to the 8.8kW?

There are 2 MPPTs, but 4 input string connections. That's because the inverter can take 26A per MPPT string, this is more than enough to parallel strings.

So my plan is to put all 14 south facing panels from my shed in two strings of 7 on one MPPT (can't have all 14 in a row on any inverter because it would exceed max voltage) and to put all 12 north facing panels from my house (yet to be installed) in two strings of 6 on the other MPPT (there will be some shading from my chimney, but doing it this way I will always at least have half the panels fully producing)

Looking forward to getting it installed. I briefly saw 6.8kW go into the battery from my 5.5kW Sunsynk (stick that in your pipe and smoke it @Solis Hybrid 😂) so I can imagine the 8.8kW Sunsynk will be able to do over 10kW at times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Can any of the hybrid inverters on the market be used as just a battery inverter without connecting any PV.

So use it the same as you would use a Sofar ME3000 but with a higher charge and discharge rating.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I think the sunsynk can, and possibly the sofar hybrids (also the sunsynk works well with no communication)

Yep I can confirm the Sunsynks can. Even if you have PV connected, there is a switch on the side that turns it off. Someone in here is actually using one just as a battery inverter, I think Irish Chris?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭irishchris

Have pv connected to mine but the sofar hyd-EP models can be used solely as battery inverter if required

Good to know, not much choice out there if need to replace a ME3000 for something of a higher capacity.

Even going to the 5kW output of a Sofar HYD-EP would cover almost all of my needs.

So I got my post installation BER assessment back. House went to A1 rating and is apparently a net energy producer with an annual consumption of -9.76kWh/m2/year

Side note, shouldn't that be kWh/m^2.year 🤔

Anyway, we'll have to see what Mr Zappi thinks about all that energy I'm apparently sending to the grid every year 😂

Wow, heat the gaff with a candle on an A1 :)

Sadly ours is the other end of the spectrum. 1940s 2 up 2 down ex council house in Dublin. Original BER 10+ yrs ago was an F or maybe even G (worse rating available). Retro fit cost is massive on old homes. Looking for our silver lining, a tiny house takes less to heat :)

Funny thing about the council houses were that they were often some of the best built houses around at the time. The builders had no incentive to cut corners like they did with commercial houses

I don't think retrofit will ever make sense financially, no matter how big the grants are. I think it's only viable where the house is getting a lot of work done anyway

Honestly I think there needs to be some serious consideration of a demolition and rebuilding program, at least in Dublin City. Don't see how the housing stock gets improved otherwise

• Advertisement

Agreed there, but I wouldn't go demolishing perfectly good homes during a housing shortage when all that's wrong with them is that they aren't well insulated. The problem will solve itself over time. No need to go mad retrofitting, or demolishing. Just concentrate on making tonnes of cheap renewable electricity.

A peek into the more "industrial" scale of solar pv,

And to be fair that cow shed is big.

230 odd 405w panels.

The 6kW looks like it would be good, about double my current Sofar. 135A charge/discharge for about €‎1150

€1150 retail incl. VAT and shipping? For an inverter that can do 135A charge and discharge continuously?

Any links to that as the old skeptic in me simply doesn't believe that until I see it.

Never purchased from them but seems to be a few sellers with similar prices on Alibaba.

The deye is a sunsynk btw. Or sunsynk is deye..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

That is some heavy duty cable, impressive setup.

@Mr Q - that's a very good price alright!

And as @graememk said, Sunsynk and obviously that Ningbo, are rebranded Deye inverters

I only installed my Sunsynk 9kW inverter last night. Super piece of kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭costin

Dose anyone have a RM107 meter configured as MCC02? ESB Networks confirm this is possible but Energia has no clue... Typical...

• Advertisement

First snowy day with the solar panels, typical of my luck we've clear skies and the panels are covered 😭

There's a fair amount of snow building up near the bottom of the panels, anything I should be concerned about?

Advertisement