Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I wonder could klopp play Firmino to play a role in which he tries to occupy Casemisro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Lol at Sky it should have been a free kick for Liverpool and they are trying to say he was lucky not to get a red card lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The only problem there is Bobby has looked really rusty since the injury. atm, I think we'll see Hendo & Gakpo come back in. Robbo too. Jota is a great super sub to have now again - I'm not sure if he can start so close again.

I think there is good hope to be taken from the last few league games. Certainly looking better now than we did 4 games ago where there was no hope. It's not often we see Klopp go for solidity first, but we have done recently, and I think we might see it again on Sunday.

Set pieces is very important - we have conceded a few there in the last few weeks overall, and Man United seem to be scoring from them now again too. It's a bit coincidental that we scored from one last night, and should have scored from one against Palace too. Make Klopp just stripped the gameplan back and has us being solid, hard to beat and then get the edge where possible - set pieces being one. It gives us a base to work from anyways, instead of being 1-0 down after 5 minutes in every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

how could u possibly say the run they are on is flattering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Easy.

I don't think they're quite as brilliant as has been made out.  That's all. 

If I were to believe they're every bit as good as the form suggests, and what most pundits are saying, then Liverpool barely have a hope on Sunday.  And I just don’t believe that.  Ten Hag has been pretty much perfect for in-game tweaking over the last two months.  He’s been unreal.  He’s a supremely good manager, obviously, but starting slowly so often can’t continue to be quite so profitable, in my opinion.

They’ve also been ridiculously clinical in a couple of games.

I could be barking up completely the wrong tree, and we could be absolutely schooled on Sunday by a team that is every bit as good as recent results suggest.  But I really hope my gut is not wrong on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think Sunday is coming a little too soon for us, confidence is still fairly brittle and midfield continues to be a problem area for us. United in contrast are full of confidence, have huge momentum, are playing well and able to dig out results when games are going against them, similar to us this time last year. If they score early we could be in for a long day. Casimiro is likely to dominate midfield and Rashford will be incredibly dangerous. Amazing how quickly the fortunes of both teams have changed since our last meeting, it's almost as if both teams swapped places, we got their **** form and they got our form from last season

The last few league results have been encouraging, even if some of the performances haven't been great. Hopefully with the crowd behind them and the opposition in question, we'll see a much improved performance and a positive result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

United will eat us alive the way the team is at the moment, I don't see us winning it but happy to be proven wrong, I just can't see it...

We were **** in the first half last night and early in second half weren't great, once we got the goal though it seemed to click together...

If the players can't up their game for United we have serious problems...

RE : Fabinho challenge, don't think it was a red, you can see he tried to avoid it mid challenge from what I can see...

We're due a slice of luck sometime soon.

We've been getting rode all season with injuries, the only team to not receive a penalty this season and have hit the woodwork more than any other PL team. it may sound salty or whatever but Man United are getting the breaks at the minute - a scuffed Rashford shot going wide but deflects in, an OG last night etc. Now some say you make your own luck etc, but something has to fall for us soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

There's nothing that can convince me Fabinho did anything wrong, he jumped out of the way of an extremely out-of-control and reckless lunge. Whatever happens to Lemina following that is a direct result of him endangering another player.

If Fabinho stands his ground he breaks his leg and Lemina gets sent off.

He's done. Liked him at times but in hindsight he's been a massive flop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Unfortunately I have to agree. While the results in the League have been promising the last 4 games, the performances have been just above average. The Everton game was our best performance but as we seen again last night, Everton are absolutely terrible, the Newcastle game we got played off the park for long spells by a team with 10 men, the Place game was horrid stuff and the first 60 minutes of last night was not much better!!

I don't like been this pessimistic but I think we will be beat by 2 this weekend. Confidence is still brittle and UTD are going to be absolutely pumped for this after what we did to them last season. They're 100% gunning for some form of revenge against us and I feel the worst if they get that early goal. As we seen against Madrid, heads drop quickly if we come up against a team with momentum and our players low in confidence go hiding!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Agree completely, after last season they will want to inflict something similar and are unlikely to get a better chance and probably can't believe how quickly this opportunity has come along for them, plus they are still in the title race and as a bonus it would practically end our top 4 hopes.

We have indirectly contributed to their success this season, their victory over us was a massive turning point for ETH, it bought him time, at the time they were in dire straits, had we beaten them that day, considering the first two games it's quite possible ETH might not have been given the time to turn things around, plus they also benefitted from Pope getting sent off against us. It would be great to knock them off their stride, but, unfortunately I don't see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

We were in awful form last October going into the Man City game and there really wasn't any hope. From memory there was plenty of chances for both teams but City dominated and we got a 1-0 win. The players really seemed up for it and almost played like an underdog in a cup game.

Fingers crossed we do the same this weekend cos I can't see us playing them off the park. A set piece goal from Konate would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

The bookies don't agree with the pessimism here, they have us as favourites (I'll admit I was slightly surprised by that when I looked)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I believe , Ajax beat them 1-4 ,

This season we're at it, or not, hopefully in Madrid it's a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭McFly85

While I’m not expecting a result at the weekend I think this talk about being blown away is wide of the mark.

Anfield will be rocking and out home form is actually still pretty great. Our forwards can cause them plenty of problems and our defence has largely improved.

We could lose, sure, Utd are in great form, but they’re certainly beatable at Anfield. Anyone expecting them to give us a pumping like we did to them last season is being overly negative imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The Madrid game still definitely looks a bridge too far, but was nice to see them beaten at home tonight by an average enough Barcelona - missing Pedri and Lewandowski, and with Marcos Alonso at centreback. Shows there's always a possibility of getting a result there, even if it's insanely unlikely it would be enough of a result to change the tie's outcome.

For the Utd match, it reminds me a bit of the one against them in our last shocking season, in 20/21 which kickstarted a much improved run. We went into that game away from home - the rescheduled fixture after their fans got the original cancelled - fully expecting to get smashed, and then ended up blowing the expectations out of the water and putting them to the sword. Think a draw is probably the likely result, but could see us charging out of the blocks and getting an early lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Anfield was rocking against Madrid also and look at how that turned out. Very surprised we are slight favourites in the bookies but similar to the Everton game if we can't get up for a home game against united we might as well pack the season in.

I think Liverpool have every chance of taking an early lead on Sunday, or any lead in the first half. Maintaining that lead is what worries me. If we concede one, we seem to be unable to get the heads sorted and stop any further goals being conceded.

Utd are much improved but they’re no Madrid.

Just think some of the conversation is ridiculously negative. We’ve been shocking this season but shocking by our standards. People talk about us like we’re a relegation team and Utd are suddenly one of the best teams in the world again. Win on Sunday and there’s a 7 point gap which isn’t much at all.

And a loss on Sunday doesn’t end our chances at top 4. This is something people have been saying about 5 games in - it’s like people are used to every loss being devastating after our recent title chasing seasons against City. Lose on Sunday and we still have 13 games to make up 6 points, and unlike City, Spurs and Newcastle will drop points.

• Advertisement

Just looking at fixtures there and we should go full strength in the next 3 fixtures before the international break, as that Fulham game has been postponed at the tail end.

Sunday - Man United

Saturday - Bournemouth

Wednesday - Real Madrid

Saturday - no game

Man United are no Real Madrid, but they are in better form and have the highest amount of momentum possible. Momentum accounts for so much IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Best of luck to him! Has been a phenomenal part of Klopps Liverpool. It feels like the right time for both player and club to part ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Gutted Bobby has decided to leave. I was really hoping he'd extend for another two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Makes me very sad to see him go....

He is also leaving the right way also and not on bad term's, I admire that

So the recent contract talk was incorrect...

Best in the world is Bobby Firmino 🎶 💔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

It's the right time for both parties but will be gutted to see Bobby leave. We wouldn't have had the success of the past few years without Bobby Firmino. A genuine club legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Sentiment really shouldn't come into the decision. He has become really injury prone and has missed a lot of this season. He has been a brilliant servant no doubt about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I've had conversations with mates this week who are adamant that Madrid are just simply brilliant, and that's why we were destroyed. I've held firm on this since the game - Madrid aren't that great compared to other actual elite teams. they are 100% there for the taking by any good team. yes, there's this weird aura about them and the Champions League, but I think that is overstated. every single one of the goals we conceded against them was weak.

Madrid away is a step too far, but they'll get beaten this season by the first good team they meet IMO. and I know that's tempting fate after their heroics last season, but that's just how I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’m gutted that Bobby is leaving without winning a Europa Cup! 😂😂

What a player he has been for LFC, it’s the right time for him to move on, and it’s great that it’s been an amicable split. I hope other players take note of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Sentiment should never come into it. Thank him dearly and send him on. There is more than one midfielder that should be leaving with him. Hopefully the club is having those conversations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Very sad to see him go.

An absolute legend. I'll ignore all he achieved and how underappreciated he could be outside the club for now.

I'm a little disappointed we finally have six players for three forward positions and now we are letting one go but whatever he wants to do. If the club wanted him another year, I am surprised he wants to leave.

Sad but not surprising that he's leaving, correct decision imo. Gakpo seems a ready-made replacement and 8 years younger. Wouldn't be shocked if we don't bother with another forward this summer, but if we do I hope it's someone who can play on the right to give Salah a rest (though maybe they see Doak stepping up)

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Feeling really sad after hearing that news. My favourite player of the Klopp era. No nonsense, no bulls**t, ultimate team player, always smiling combined with that bit of flashiness and x-factor.

The time is right to leave though. He hasnt been the same player he was and suffering from too many injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Will miss bobby, hard to believe that it was Rodgers in charge when he first arrived.

Here's the team from his PL debut!

• Advertisement

I remember we brought in Firmino and Benteke and it was immediately clear to all that Rodgers had no idea how to get them to work in the same team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Gordon can hopefully find some form when he's back fit again as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ah man, devastated by that news, love Bobby.

Whilst it may well be the right time, knowing all good things must pass and experiencing them passing are two very different things

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

For all the changes there's been 3 of that starting line up are still there and regularly in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Sad that Bobby is going. A key part of that team that won the first league title in 30 years, along with Gini and Sadio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Hell, I'd forgot about the existence of the great hope that was Jordan Ibe. Second tier of the Turkish league now according to wiki.

I'm certain he wanted to stay, but the contract offer was obviously poor, so much so it was never on the table, just talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Gutted Bobby is going

mane gone now Bobby

one of my fave pool players

going to the utd game so hopefully get to see him action one last time

Bobbys first touch was a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Love this goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Will be sad to see Bobby go of course, but he's served us well and he owes nothing. Sentiment can't come into it from either side, he has to do what's right for himself and his family and the club had to do what they think is right too. There has to be refreshment in the squad as we're learning now watching our midfield struggle for energy and pace. It's sometimes better to let someone leave one year too early rather than 2 years too late, so probably a good decision all around.

What a player he was for us though.

Won it all!

I recall seeing him in one of his first games and wondering what the fcxk he offered, not a scorer, not a winger, not an attacking mid.... but soon learned to accept and appreciate what he had to offer. He broke the mould really, was brilliant in that kinda false 9 position, and was excellent for us without and without the ball. He did so much of his good work without the ball for us, both setting the press and creating space for others as we attacked. He was also crucial at set pieces for us over the years, very good defensively in the air which was under appreciated by the fans I think.

From seeing him over the years, he'll work for us until the end as best he can. Good luck Bobby.

Oddly enough, I am kinda happy that we know now and can have a proper send off now instead of constant speculation every week. Some succession planning can be put in place. On a real straight and narrow line, it's the right decision as his best days are behind him and those injuries are adding up. But on a pure emotional side, it's quite sad all the same. He's a club legend and will leave with good words from everyone.

My favourite player for years, especially the early years under Klopp. in 2017-2019, he was fantastic. Possibly the best in that false 9 role at the time, bar Messi. He had that unreal season in 2017-2018 where he got 27 goals & 17 assists. IIRC he had a release clause in his contract then, and a few big clubs were looking at him. He signed a new contract that summer, with no release clause, such was his commitment to the club. He gave the club his prime years and won everything. Not known for his goalscoring but he scored the goal that made Liverpool Champions of the World. He will end his Liverpool career having outscored the likes of Suarez, Torres & Keegan. It's possible he passes John Barnes on the list.

The final rendition of his song will be a sad one.

You don't have to go back years to find Firmino making fools of opponents, you just need to go back a few days. He has so much more to give

Firmino was our only in form player this season before his spell out injured , his minutes per goal in PL is 142, Salah 237.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Will definitely miss Fun Bobby. Such a massive fan favourite, with so many moments of absolute genius. Even before all the achievements under Klopp, he had some absolutely beautiful linkups with Coutinho - especially against Man City. Had a telepathic sense of his teammates at times.

I doubt we'll see a replacement come in, with the front line pretty strong now once over their injuries - Salah, Darwin, Diaz, Jota, and Gakpo, with Carvalho, Doak, and Gordon a step behind. Bobby's wages can then go towards some of our much-needed midfield buys.

We're well sorted on the left, with Darwin, Diaz, Jota, and Gakpo all able to play there. Well sorted in the middle with Darwin, Jota, Gakpo, and Mo all able to play there. And I've a feeling that if we wanted to rest Mo, that Darwin would look pretty much the same on the right as he does on the left anyway - the fella's all action style, along with his speed and strength, kind of make him transcend any specific position. He'd cause chaos from anywhere.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Definitely won't miss people calling him Fun Bobby.

• Advertisement
Advertisement