Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrian jailed for manslaughter for cyclists death

Options
  • 04-03-2023 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

This story is causing some debate online.

“Auriol Grey has been jailed for manslaughter after a cyclist fell into the path of an oncoming car.

Grey shouted and waved aggressively at cyclist Celia Ward causing her to fall into the road.”

https://mobile.twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1631444170811355138

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

I see that the judge said that the pavement was a "shared path on the ring road". No wonder then at a guilty verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Very sad reading the victim impact statements from Celia Wards family who had their beautiful family member stolen from them in a horrible way.

Grey seems to have some disabilities, one of which is that she is unable to express remorse. Whether this is true or exaggerated, I don’t know, but it makes it difficult to have any sympathy for her as she comes across an an aggressive hostile bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yep there’s no real debate to be honest. It’s a shared path, the woman on the bike was allowed on the path, which was 2.4m wide as well so it wasn’t as if there wasn’t plenty of room.

If it wasn’t a shared path there’d be an argument that the woman on the bike shouldn’t have been there in the first place, but instead a weapon of a woman forced her out into the road and now she’s dead.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The fact that while Celia Wards was on the road Grey went and did her shopping is messed up

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jorge Jorgesson

Twitter really getting worse. Some awful comments underneath. Not one or two like in the past either.

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest where did you read that? Do you have a source/link?

The reason I'm asking is because the news report that I read (in print media) said the police testified in court that they have no idea whether or not the path is designated for cyclists. It seems a bit odd to me that a judge would make that statement without the explicit advice of either the police or the local council who one would imagine are the only ones entitled to make that call.

Advertisement