Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Adult males being victimised in these days?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

God almighty, you've all but proven his point without even knowing you were doing it. If a man gets judged as a creep simply for saying hello to women, then he's at least somewhat right. If the genders were reserved here, you'd never say anything like that, which is highlighting your own bias.

Clearly too you're not "country", as in the country it's very common to say hello to everyone you pass no matter the gender. It would be considered deeply rude to not say hello back to someone. It's a cultural norm and a good one.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

I was in North Africa in Nov/Dec and was honestly shocked at how friendly the females there were. Just seemed to be genuinely pleasant unlike the angry aggressive ones here in Cork, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Haven’t you heard? Women can’t be sexist (going by the first page of this thread anyway.)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

If you think that letting a guy know that he isn't a victim for thinking he has a right to have women talk to him when he wants them to prove that he really is the victim then that says a lot more about you than it does about me.

Women don't owe a man a response just because he says "hi". And yes continuing to try and get one makes you creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Being a 1500 year old Vampire Lord, I have found it very difficult to engage with anyone whilst walking around St Anns park at 3.30 in the morning.

I must try harder.

• Advertisement

Remember when holding a door open for someone was known as “chivalry,” is that “creepy” now too or is slamming a door more appropriate?

Some of this nonsense talk is absolutely embarrassing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

Is he supposed to let her hit him ? Although it would be good to see the lead up to the event but I've seen some carry on over the years from drunken/drugged women who think they can do what they want when they are drunk/on drugs based on the belief that a man can't hit a women. People shouldn't be hitting each other full stop. I personally have never seen this attitude from females though in Germany/Netherlands on nights out as people there are generally pleasant and not letting out loads of unpent anger when under the influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

Lol. You're the one who feels victimised and too uncomfortable to walk in the park because women won't acknowledge your good morning so I really don't think you're in much of a position to be talking about other people's nonsense talk being embarrassing.

You know full well what you were trying to do and when it doesn’t go to plan and you don’t get the type of responses you wanted you throw a strop. Marvellous.

You don’t have many male friends if this comes a surprise to you.

• Advertisement

I’ve no idea who you are but you seem to know me and my intentions. Enlighten me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

I wouldn't go as far as to say I feel victimised but I do agree with your observations. The fact that some posters felt it better to belittle your observations sort of proves where we've gone as a society.

As someone else said also though, I think its also a sign of people being consumed in their own lifes. People definitely aren't as friendly as they used to be and as areas become more built up, the community and friendly spirit tends to lessen imo.

You, of course, have completely ignored my point about how you've judged him as a creep for saying hello to passers-by. Of course they don't owe him anything, I never said or implied that they did, but all the same it costs you nothing to say hello back to someone.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I do, it's just none of them are weird incels.

Go back and read the comment again. You can let me know what part of it you’re struggling to comprehend if you wish and if you’re sound about it I’ll happily help you out.

If you only want people who know you to comment on what you’re posting then say it in person to people you know. You chose to post it to the internet where 99.999% of the people you are saying it to don’t know you and you don’t know them. If you can’t handle people you don’t know commenting on the things you post then I’m afraid the internet probably isn’t for you.

I'll certainly agree that some of the nonsense talk is absolutely embarrassing. I'd certainly be embarrassed if I publicly admitted I felt like a victim because random women I don't know in a park ignore me when I try and engage them in conversation. They don't owe you anything.

So men are ‘weird incels’ now for feeling victimised? If that’s not sexism I don’t know what is.

It’s incel mentality wearing a ‘nice guy’ mask.

im not against freedom of speech or people having an opinion but when words are twisted to suit a specific narrative than I’d rather ignore it and leave these space cadets to it. You cannot have a discussion with such individuals it’s a complete waste of time.

Once again; thank you for reaffirming my point (albeit unknowingly to yourself.)

That's a fair point. Men who feel victimised because women don't knowledge their "good morning" greeting are definitely weird. Can't say for definite they are incels but I certainly wouldnt be surprised. That better?

• Advertisement

People definitely aren't as friendly as they used to be and as areas become more built up, the community and friendly spirit tends to lessen imo.

Yeah, the more built up an area is the less connected the people are. I live in a commuter town at the minute, but spend a decent amount of time in West when I can, and they might as well be different worlds. No one says hello to each other in the commuter town, people hardly even acknowledge each other, whereas down the country everyone says a friendly hello even if they don't know you. It's a matter of personalities too, nihilistic misanthropes will love the built up area because they don't have to deal with people, whereas more out going people friendly types will prefer what the country has to offer.

In other words when you don’t get the responses you are looking for you throw a strop?

Man queries why women don't say hello back anymore, and you decide that he's a sexless weirdo because of that? Another person who's proving the OP's point. He's both sex starved and a creep all because he's dared to ask a question? 🤣

The way feminists don’t listen to anything but what they want is ridiculous. I’ve noticed that overall if u say anything a feminist disagrees with for whatever reason their first thought is to insult you. Even if they’re proven wrong they just degrade you further and end up saying actual misogynistic statements and name calling (incel for example) but you don’t see the irony in that.

That better?

Imagine walking around feeling like strangers owe you something and feeling like a “victim” when people who want to be left alone opt not to engage with unsolicited conversation? Ridiculously entitled stuff.

And that's where you're wrong. Women have been assaulted and/or raped after they engaged with a stranger. That "hello" can end up costing them plenty. "She must've been interested, she responded to me". I didn't judge him a creep. I pointed out that it is likely that at least some of the random strangers that he keeps trying to engage in conversation probably think of him like that.

And if you really agree that they "of course" don't owe him anything, then how is he a victim just because they didn't give him something that you admit they don't owe him? If they don't owe him a response, he isn't a victim when they don't respond.

Put the toys back in the pram. You started the topic and wanted people's opinions. I'm giving my opinion, that's the nature of discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

You should restrain a violent woman (by grabbing both of her arms).

You can't punch a woman full-on in the face. Women can be easily killed - they have softer facial bones, thinner skulls and are weaker in general.

This is basic life stuff.

Of course you can't, but still you had no problem calling him an incel, having no idea whether he is or not. Like he just said, "feminists" go straight to insults, the very same people who are outraged at men using terms like "slut" yet are happy to toss around terms like "incel".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭anewme

There you go OP, you’d be better off in North Africa as the “females” are more friendly.

just as a note on this gross generalisation post- is not saying hello deemed as aggressive?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement