Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wait until after cold spell to plant

Options
  • 04-03-2023 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Bought a perennial wallflower and aqueligia plant in pots last week. Was going to plant out today but apparently next week is meant to be cold so wondering if should wait a few weeks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Absolutely, wait until there's a bit of heat in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Bellie1

Thanks Jim.Will I leave them outdoors in the pots or move them into shed during the night? Is it more the transplanting that's the problem as opposed to the actual cold?

I've never planted perennials at this time of year so am clueless

Keep them frost free. Potting out can shock the plant and the roots need some heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

These are tough hardy perennials, don't worry about planting them out any time that suits. The times to avoid are when the ground is frozen or waterlogged otherwise just get them in.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Freezing temperatures are forecast for next week though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Keep them in conditions similar to where they have been, eg. if they were under cover in a garden centre then keep them in a sheltered area.

If bought indoors from the likes of Aldi, then you need to put them in during cold spells.

Plant out if the ground isn't waterlogged or frozen once they are accustomed to outdoors, if relevant. It's been very dry so don't forget to water.

As long as its in the ground before that. Putting it indoors and forgetting to move it out everyday could do more damage.

This time of year I used to divide up a huge herbaceous border weather permitting and never lost anything that was hardy. End of the month I'd plant Dahlia tubers. Dahlias would go in quite deep so it was normally all clear by the time the shoots emerged. Its only 2 weeks to St Patricks day when I used to plant a lot of potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ttnov77

Agree on this one to wait. Many people forget that many hardy plants are grown under protection and forced into bloom for “sale” much earlier than the plant would do naturally. Early planting before frost will stress this plant alot resulting in stunned growth later, pests attack even killing the plant.

Once the plant is acclimated and planted properly it can withstand frost or whatever is rated for as long as planted in correct conditions.

Different matter are for example plants that were grown outside or bare root plants and trees that you can buy now and plant out no problem as long as ground not frozen solid as they were exposed to winter conditions.

Hope this helps

If its not actually in flowed then its not been forced. No one would bother bringing on these bog standard hardy perennials by putting them under glass. They do just as well outside. They may have been affected a little by being in the supply chain for a while but no grower spends money protecting plants that are that hardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

As above if they've been grown under protection to look their best they may require some hardening off by leaving out during the day and in at night for a week or so if it's particularly cold.

I prefer to buy plants that have clearly been out in the elements, they mightn't look great but they'll usually be far better in the long term.

• Advertisement

You would be surprised. I work in the industry and visit many garden centres and nurseries. And if you look at majority of large garden centres i.e. The orchard, Jones, the pavilion in cork, arboretum in carlow, they have build large glass or plexy roofs and greenhouses covering whole sections of hardy plants, probably due to better customer experience.

Then you have many grovers supplying not only supermarket clearly forced into blooms early. So it really depends where you buy.

If you work in the industry then you'd know that the plants the OP mentioned aren't forced.

They are both in flower so likely forced? Bought in woodies ( came across by chance) but can't remember if they were covered over or outdoors. Had a wallflower die off on me last year so want to ensure won't happen this time. So leave outdoors during daytime and bring into porch at nighttime? And hopefully.the cold spell is gone later I week and can plant out next weekend?

I was referring to plants in general but as you see from OPs comment both plants are in flower so they are forced as they flower from may.

If you wouldn’t jump into conclusions and assumptions you wouldn’t need to defend your position and prove others wrong especially when they only want to help ;)

Admitting “I have been wrong” is a strength not weakness

Yes I would definitely acclimatise them first and cut off the flowers. They will have much better chance of thriving as flowers takes lots of energy which will better be used to establish the plant.

Hope this helps

Cut the flowers of wallflowers in the spring ROTFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Wallflowers can have a few flowers all year round but aquilegia should barely be in leaf at the moment, much less in flower.

Agreed that the covered garden centres are a liability, producing immaculate plants that are easily knocked back by sudden exposure to cold. Normally I would suggest that perennials should be able to go directly into the garden, but when they are tender from being protected they need to be gradually acclimatised. Not by taking them in at night but by putting them in a sheltered spot, with a bit of extra protection if there is hard frost. Never keep outdoor perennials in the house even for a few days.

Better option is to find a nursery that has its hardy plants permanently exposed to weather, they might not look as dramatic and perfect as the ones raised under shelter, but they will have a better chance of surviving.

If you are in the south east you could check out Ballinlough Garden Centre near Kill, County Waterford. They do not have an online presence and and don't usually answer the phone, but they have a lovely wide selection of healthy plants exposed to weather (plus some tender plants under cover) and reasonable prices.

I knew it was too early to be buying the wallflower but was so excited to see it in the shop, I didn't think through and bought. I may plant today so in a sunny spot in garden and have a fleece thingy so can cover at night. It's a total waste of money if they die on me so maybe next year I'll learn and won't be so impulsive. My green fingers have deserted me, I used propagate the wallflower on myself year by year but that's failed on me the last few years .

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Just be mindful of the very cold spell forecast this week, sharp frost and snow for some places.

I love wall flowers, mine lasted 8 years. It was the first thing to flower in February and was in bloom right through till November each year. I don’t know any other plant that flowers so prolifically!

• Advertisement

Never heard of Ballinlough Garden Centre thanks for the suggestion Looksee!

Yeah I love it. How do you keep yours flowering for so long? Do you deadhead, cut woody parts back? Mine just gets woody and messy looking so am lucky to get 2 years from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Deadhead them as the flowers fade. Many wallflowers are biennial and even the perennial varieties are often considered short-lived perennials. It's always a good idea to take a few cuttings from them.

So after all the advice, I'm thinking leave them outdoors in their pots until thurs ( frost is meant to clear then) and cover with a fleece for the next few nights. Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Just put them in the porch at night like you were going to, there is zero issue with doing this and they'll be far safer than in a bit of fleece.

Mine was bowels perennial wallflower version. I planted it in a dryish part of garden full sun, slight slope and free draining. It’s the only part of the garden that doesn’t have heavy clay as there was no soil there originally so brought in nice loose free draining stuff. I gave it very little attention to be honest and it just did its own thing, mulched in spring with compost, hardly deadheaded, maybe 2/3 times a year to take the bad look off it, I never cut it back. Lasted years through all sorts of weather with no issues. I was completely amazed by how long it flowered. So cheerful to see it in early spring before anything else!

Advertisement