Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The far right death threats to an autistic boy

Options
  • 04-03-2023 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭

Apparently a young autistic boy was sent several death threats in the UK for scuffing a holy book

The force added they initially treated the damage done to the Koran as a “hate incident”, but officers are now satisfied that “no criminal offences were committed” in relation to the book.

“We have recorded a hate incident, but from our enquiries are satisfied that no criminal offences were committed.

The mother of the boy had to sit in front of the community, hair covered, and apologise to them for her son's offence. The police and community organizers all attended the event, and saw no issue at all with a supposedly secular society having to apologize to a bunch of religious fundamentalists for the crime of causing minor damage to their holy book.

It reminds me of the time Lauren Southern went to an Islamic area in the U.K with "Mohammed is gay" posters, and was told to leave the area by the police even though she'd broken no laws. It really seems like certain areas in the UK are governed by the sensitivities of the Islamic community and not the actual rule of law. It's a genuinely worrying trend, and it doesn't seem to be going away. If anything, it's getting worse and worse.

I'm sure some posters will be along to claim that this is fear mongering, but it's a hard position to justify given the reaction of the police to such events. They clear have their own fears and instead of telling to Islamic community to "do one", they instead try and appease them, brining these areas closer and closer to a form of Islamic rule.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

So the slight damage to the book was deemed a hate crime, but the deaths threats were not?

Ok…

"Hate incident" is what they seem to call it, which seems to mean not legally pursuable, yet deemed as some form of hate by the powers that be. He was suspended from his school too as a lesson. Apparently the lesson is that Westerners must worships Islam like Muslims do.

Headteacher Tudor Griffiths said the school understands there was “no malicious intent by those involved”, but added that the students had been suspended to ensure “they understand why their actions were unacceptable”.

Pure appeasement seems to be the strategy in the UK, and if won't end well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭KilOit

The funny thing is that all this does is bring more hate to Islam

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Pure appeasement seems to be the strategy in the UK, and if won't end well for them.

I can see how it could be interpreted as appeasement, but in reality it’s just good community policing.

I dunno where “the far right” comes into this as it seems to have been the death threats were sent by just one person - another student at the school, which there isn’t any details about, and there aren’t likely to be any details released because the student is a child.

• Advertisement

I can see how it could be interpreted as appeasement, but in reality it’s just good community policing.

How in the world have you reached that conclusion given the Western social contract? Even if a lot of Western values are dying, many of them are still in law, and our laws give us the right to insult religion and damage religious books if we want. The police here might as well say "don't dare mock Islam, for it is a great offence". They are giving validity to Islamic notion that their religion is beyond criticism, which is totally out of sync with our laws and general standards. If Christianity always held such strict views on offence, you'd never have a secular society, and we'd still all be ruled the CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It’s the result of decades worth of mismanaging immigration and integration. Same issue in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The relevant information seems to be:

A Year 10 student brought the Islamic text to Kettlethorpe High School in Wakefield on February 23, reportedly as part of a dare, and its cover was slightly torn while smears of dirt were found on some pages.

The boy wasn't just idly or wholesomely enjoying his own copy of the religious text by the reporting you provided.

This seems to be it.

West Yorkshire Police said an officer has “given words of advice” to one student who sent “malicious communications” to the boy.

The force added they initially treated the damage done to the Koran as a “hate incident”, but officers are now satisfied that “no criminal offences were committed” in relation to the book.

So they're not prosecuting either the alleged hate crime nor the alleged "malicious communications"

What Western social contract? Our laws place limitations on freedom of expression and freedom of speech and all that sort of thing and always have done, Ireland had the blasphemy laws up until only very recently. We would have a secular society and Christianity still holds its strict views, it’s just that those views are balanced with civil liberties, and that’s the reason conflicts like this have always arisen in Western societies. Islam isn’t being treated any differently, civil law still takes precedence, it’s just that circumstances like this where it appears to be nothing more than a schoolkids prank is taken to extremes by people with vested interests in trying to whip up all sorts of paranoid nonsense.

Back when I was in school the kind of school pranks we did in an all-boys school were to give our friend’s address when ordering free samples of feminine hygiene products; nowadays it’s ordering the Koran on Amazon. I guess things have changed 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Economics101

Misleading thread title: nothing "far right" about this. More a case of primitive pre-Enlightenment religious fundamentalism.

• Advertisement

Why are you quoting me? I never said anything about people being prosecuted? I said it was recorded as a "hate incident" which it was. I literally said it was not prosecutable too. I also said nothing about how it was damaged either. Are you hallucinating? Nothing you've attributed to me actually was said by me. Do you actually have anything to say? Or are you just going to nit pick based on what you think others have said?

Religious fundamentalism is considered far right by many boards users. I personally don't agree with that, but we're always told on here about the far right Catholics, and far right Evangelicals in America, so I essentially speaking to the people who don't use such a label when it comes to Islam.

I literally said it was not prosecutable too

A word search of this page proves that utterly false.

I quoted you because you made the OP.

You said most of the relevant information was on Twitter, the relevant bit however was already given by police (as I said in the post you are so ironically nitpicking). The information you are quoted as saying was "relevant" included as the first cited tweet a lad on the internet claiming "he accidentally caused "slight damage" to *his own copy* of a Quran" which is directly contradicted by the quote I cited from the first article, which clearly indicated the boy brought in the book and possibly damaged it himself all as a prank gone wrong ("a dare"), not an accident whatsoever.

Need not get so upset about my analysis that you attack the poster.

So, I didn't say what you're accusing me of then? You're attributing another person words to me. Most of the relevant info was indeed in that thread, it doesn't mean that I've went and fact checked every statement made.

How the damage came about is largely speculation, and is not really relevant at all. It doesn't matter if he burned it or knocked it off a desk by accident, the reaction to the insult is the whole point of the thread, hence why you're nit picking.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Not just the boy, but what the poor mother was subjected to is unacceptable.

The biggest problem is, that only the likes of Nigel Farage on GBnews have covered it, while it was ignored by the BBC. So, it is very difficult to get many people to even pay attention.

After all, posting a link to a video featuring Nigel Farage is never going to go down well in Ireland, or much of the UK. He will be attacked and called names, while the topic he is trying to cover ignored.

The right-leaning broadsheets covered it, but not the tabloids or anything left-leaning. In Ireland we don't even have the equivalent of those broadsheets, so such a story here would get buried.

Overheal was referring to the tweets you posted. You’re trying to make out that this incident is indicative of appeasement of Islam when it really isn’t, and this in your opening post -

It really seems like certain areas in the UK are governed by the sensitivities of the Islamic community and not the actual rule of law. It's a genuinely worrying trend, and it doesn't seem to be going away. If anything, it's getting worse and worse.

It’s not gotten any worse, it was never a thing in the first place, and your example of Lauren Southern visiting a predominately Muslim area with “Mohammed is gay” posters and being told to leave by police even though she’d broken no laws? Again, that was just community policing, nobody has to have broken any laws, just stirring up shìt is enough to be actionable by the police.

Most of the relevant info was indeed in that thread

Except it wasn't, as I demonstrated in the post. The info was not only not relevant, it was misleading and contradictory.

I haven't "accused" you of anything. Please stop trying to make this into a personal argument when it is anything but.

You're attributing another person words to me. 

Of all the things to happen, this didn't happen the most.

"You'll find most of the relevant information in the above" your post said, citing tweets with information that was in direct conflict with the report from officials in the Original Post (also provided by you). Pointing out this conflict in the information provided by the original posts is hardly a personal offense, is it?

the reaction to the insult is the whole point of the thread

I would assume news of the whole incident is the whole point of the thread, and discussing it is "nit picking?" Baffling.

More pedantry, there were literally the words of another person. They were not my words, no matter how much you try and say that they are. They came from another persons mouth. I referenced said words, they weren't mine. Once gain, how it happened is irrelevant, to me at least. I explained that already. I'll not be responding to you after this, as we all know what your goal is here. If you wanted to discuss it you'd discuss it, but you don't want it discussed, so you resort to nit picking in the hope of getting a reaction.

More pedantry, there were literally the words of another person. They were not my words, no matter how much you try and say that they are. They came from another persons mouth. I referenced said words, they weren't mine.

I never once claimed they were your words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Jizique

The main far right element I see is the involvement of Martin Daubney

• Advertisement

This is my point with the headline. You care more about the native man with some right wing views, than Islamic fundamentalists with far more extreme views. This is progressivism at its core; constantly downplaying all acts by non natives no matter how bad, simply because of their status of being a minority. It's like there's some sort of programming that only every allows you to view natives as a threat to you, even though there's far more radical people in society who aren't natives. It's honestly mindboggling.

How hard is it to say that this is wrong, that it's backward, and that we shouldn't tolerate it? If we replaced the race and religion, I'm sure you'd have no bother.

I don’t think the other poster cares more about anything. There was definite confusion in the thread title about what this had to do with the far right, because there was no evidence of any far right involvement. At least the other poster gave a clue as to what fair right involvement there is - still pretty much none, only that commenter on Twitter. I’ve no idea who he is, don’t care who he is either if I’m being honest. Characterising him as “the native man with right wing views” is funny though, as if he is of any importance 😁

He’s not any different than the other nobody who was trying to get others wound up about the threats to Muslims in the UK, they’re quite literally two cheeks of the same arse, with their opposing views of each other. It’s not hard to say it’s wrong or it’s backward or anything else, it’s just difficult to take the whole thing seriously. Replace it with whatever religion or race you want and it’s still the same - be difficult to take it seriously, like when Stephen Fry made the comments he did, and Gardaí wouldn’t proceed with an investigation because they couldn’t find anyone who actually gave a shìt, not even the original complainant who was reporting the offence 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If it makes you feel better, Greta Thunberg who is white and European and autistic has received all kinds of death and rape threats from non Muslim far right types, so it's not just the scary Muslims that are bad, there are loonies in all walks of life.

It’s academic to most people in English or UK society too, because of the small number of people trying to take an incident like this and blow it entirely out of proportion to try and support their argument that Islam is somehow a threat to UK society, when in reality it’s just nothing of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

only that commenter on Twitter. I’ve no idea who he is, don’t care who he is either if I’m being honest.

Never heard of him either, so I looked him up.

In August 2021, Daubney was appointed deputy leader of Laurence Fox's Reclaim Party.[19] He was the party's candidate in the 2021 North Shropshire by-election,[20] he finished seventh with 375 votes (0.98 per cent), losing his deposit and narrowly just beating "The Monster Raving Loony Party

😂

Where do people find these absolute losers?

No one who takes Islam seriously also tolerates the mockery or criticism of their faith, with many being willing to wish death or kill to defend their faith. We saw the reaction to Rushdie, to Charlie Hebdo, and all of the other examples of how they deal with insult. No other faith in the modern world reacts with such rage and violence, that's a fact. And it should not be tolerated, because when you tolerate barbarism you eventually become barbaric.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

As I said, loonies in all walks of life. I've worked with and known many British Muslims who were the nicest people you could meet. Maybe when it comes to religion the Muslims have the worst examples of extremism, but the "Christian" far right in the USA aren't far behind them at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ElitesTeam

The title to this thread is a joke but we all know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

He is your "source".

He is an absolute loser.

Both facts.

RE the discussion, which is just another Muslim bashing thread, isn't it?

If you are that scared of them, don't read obscure articles buried in obscure websites and stop following absolute spanners on twitter.

• Advertisement

Laurence Fox I’d heard of alright, but only because he was beaten by Niko Omilana in the race for London’s next Mayor -

Despite favourable coverage in the right-wing press, Laurence Fox lost his £10,000 deposit and received fewer votes than a YouTuber who pledged to reduce the price of Freddos to 5p.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7ee8d/laurence-fox-london-mayoral-results-count-binface-sadiq-khan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement