Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about PCP max deposit

• 04-03-2023 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi. Does anyone know if the car you’re trading in is valued at more than the max deposit of 30% for PCP, what happens? A garage today said they’d have to give me some money back, which they wouldn’t do. Not sure if it’s the same with all dealerships. Would anyone knows anything about this? Thanks.

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭mcburns07

That’s a strange one, usually they just give you the balance if it’s greater than the PCP deposit limit. Is it worth a lot more? Are they taking you for an idiot and trying to drive down the trade in price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is your car worth more than the deposit and all the monthly payments combined or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

What you have said sounds correct if you are going the PCP route and your trade in is above the max allowable deposit (30%). For trade ins the dealer/garage effectively buys that car off you. In this case you can't put all that money towards new car so the garage should be able to provide you with the balance. Are they trying to steer you in another direction re finance?

Have you looked at HP as an option if you wanted to leave a bigger deposit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭mcburns07

The poster’s issue is that the garage don’t want to take a trade in and give them the balance above the 30% deposit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Thanks. Spotted that after rereading my post and have edited accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Ailvz

Thanks everyone for your answers! They were trying to steer me into buying a more expensive spec model, as my trade in value wouldn’t go over the max 30% for PCP if I did. I just thought it was strange how they said the wouldn’t be able to give me the balance back if I went with the lower spec model. I thought maybe this wasn’t a common scenario, but that’s good to know that normally, they would just pay you back the balance! I did look at HP, but the repayments were too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

HP monthly repayments will nearly always be higher than PCP repayments but just remember HP doesn't have a lump sum (GMFV figure) due at the end of year 3 unlike PCP. So you need to compare the two forms of credit against the entire amount you are borrowning and interest paid over both terms. Your still paying for the car, it's the structure of repayment and amount that are different.

Advertisement