Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So given the lack of option 1, you can now empathise with those celebrating russian defeats and reduction in invader fighting capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Not really. In the event of a slaughter of Russian forces will that alone bring lasting peace? I think that’s unlikely. In the long term a diplomatic solution will need to be found

• Registered Users Posts: 4 slavaslavcoleslaw

lets all hold hands and hope this ends soon..

don't mean to rain on the hope parade, but inaction is supporting Russia... it's what they want..

it's very easy for them to end this, by pulling out of Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I for one welcome the death of as many orcs as are needed in order to liberate Ukraine.

Could not give two sh*ts how many that may be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

The interesting thing about many of these people who 'just want peace' is that they're placing obligation of offering the olive branch on the invaded rather than invader. Not that it would be the first time in history that an invaded state has had to sue for peace and settle for a loss of territory, but in this case there are some incorrect assumptions underpinning the argument like, 1) that Ukraine is about to be militarily defeated, 2) that Russia acts in good faith or 3) that Russia would be even interested in a lasting peace.

Ultimately, this is all up to the Ukrainians. Zelenskyy cannot prosecute a war if his people don't want to fight it, just as the Afghan National Army succumbed in almost no time to the Taliban, despite having all this supposed training and gear.

But the Ukrainian people do (by and large) want to fight Russia off. That only leaves the question of whether the West should keep supplying military aid. There are those who say that by supplying all of this aid, the suffering is only prolonged. What these people completely fail to understand is the suffering exacted by withdrawing that aid and the unthinkably bloody, brutal ethnic cleansing, i.e. a systematic genocide, that would follow across the entirety of Ukraine in order to ensure that it never strayed from Russia's dominion ever again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've seen a couple of Ukrainian forces guys say that a lot, if not most of those staying were given the opportunity to leave and go to the Ukrainian side of things long ago and throughout, but they're staying for the Russian forces to take the place as they support them. They called them "waiters" or "stayers" or something like that.

Now I'm quite sure there are enough people who are either Ukrainian supporters or neutral folks who have stayed because blown to hell as it is it's still their home. I'd say a fair number of elderly folks who've been there since the egg would number among them, but whether people want to acknowledge or not, there are a fair percentage of Russian supporters in the Donbass region who actually do want to be "Russian". After all there's been a hot/cold civil war going on there for the past decade and you couldn't have that without support from both sides on the ground. No matter if one believes [insert side here] has fomented such partisan division it had to have fertile ground for it to grow on. Otherwise it wouldn't be much of a civil war. After all, if Ulster had been 95% Loyalist, or 95% Republican the Troubles would have been a small footnote, if it would have happened at all.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

In reality has an invading force ever just pulled out after a short period of war? I can’t think of any examples. Do posters honestly think that a Ukrainian offensive to the border will be the ultimate solution and will end the conflict?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

There are about 75000 Ukrainian refugees in Ireland.

A poll taken in 2011 showed 49% of Ukrainians had relatives in Russia (that's 36,000 at a minimum)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainians

I am sure when their relatives are forcibly conscripted against their will, trucked to the front lines and killed, the majority of refugees in Ireland will certainly not be rejoicing in the death of their family members.

It seems the majority of boards members will though.

@ParkRunner

Do posters honestly think that a Ukrainian offensive to the border will be the ultimate solution and will end the conflict?

Not that I think a Ukrainian offensive to push Russia out of Ukraine is imminent, but if one were to happen, Russia wouldn't have much means to make significant inroads back into that territory, if current speed of advancement is anything to go by. They'd have to significantly up the ante, if you know what I mean, and that would put the world into a place I don't think Putin wants to go as it puts his own survival in great jeopardy.

At this stage, the conflict is never going to end because there is too much hatred between the sides, even if there are phases of no physical hostilities, e.g. the Armenians and the Azeri.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭saabsaab

In the end diplomacy will be needed. Not now because you can't negotiate in good faith with Putin and any truce would just give the Russians respite, a chance to reinforce their front lines and reorganize their forces.

I don't see a peace with Putin ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

It might just be this thread. There are a few keyboard based special forces badasses in here. Meal team 6.

Putin doesn't regard Ukraine as a real country. He regards it as historically-Russian land which was made into its own polity by idealistic Russian leaders of the past who saw borders as something of waning importance. This is from the horse's mouth,

Therefore, modern Ukraine is entirely the product of the Soviet era. We know and remember well that it was shaped – for a significant part – on the lands of historical Russia. To make sure of that, it is enough to look at the boundaries of the lands reunited with the Russian state in the 17th century and the territory of the Ukrainian SSR when it left the Soviet Union.

The Bolsheviks treated the Russian people as inexhaustible material for their social experiments. They dreamt of a world revolution that would wipe out national states. That is why they were so generous in drawing borders and bestowing territorial gifts. It is no longer important what exactly the idea of the Bolshevik leaders who were chopping the country into pieces was. We can disagree about minor details, background and logics behind certain decisions. One fact is crystal clear: Russia was robbed, indeed.

Putin regards Ukraine, or at least a great swathe of it, as being rightfully Russia's. He could apparently tolerate it when that territory essentially existed as a Russian vassal, but he will be damned if he's going to let control of it slip away to the West. As Julia Ioffe points out, here , Putin wants Ukraine because he wants Ukraine. There's no compromise or negotiation that is going to make him settle for a goal short of this, and therefore the only way to prevent him from getting the country is if it becomes impossible for him to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 slavaslavcoleslaw

exactly... all more the reason for Ukraine to continue counter offensives

when Ukraine have their land back, it will meet that Russian dialogue of "Ukraine don't want to meet us at the peace table for some reason"

Then you're back to this quandary:

If you're serious about wishing for peace, outline your peace plan for everyone and then we'll see how committed to peace you really are.

But maybe an easier one for you.

What action today will bring us to a peaceful resolution in the fastest way possible with the least amount of deaths?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,423 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Hopefully when this war is over and Ukraine has their land and country back. That this blond rashist gets her own medicine given back to her and booted back to Russia. THUGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Russia Is Getting Around Sanctions to Secure Supply of Key Chips for War

Imports of chips from Turkey, UAE have soared since invasion

European goods may be reaching Russia through those countries

Russia looks to be successfully working around European Union and Group of Seven sanctions to secure crucial semiconductors and other technologies for its war in Ukraine, according to a senior European diplomat.

Russian imports in general have largely returned to their pre-war 2020 levels and analysis of trade data suggests that advanced chips and integrated circuits made in the EU and other allied nations are being shipped to Russia through third countries such as Turkey, the United Arab Emirates and Kazakhstan, the diplomat said, pointing to those private assessments.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-04/putin-gets-military-tech-chips-semiconductors-despite-eu-and-g-7-sanctions#xj4y7vzkg?leadSource=uverify%20wall

So while an unfortunately highly experienced Ukrainian SAR unit scours the rubble for survivors after the terrible earthquake in Turkey, Erdogan helps Russia circumvent technology sanctions so the Orcs can continue to build missiles with which to kill the families of that SAR team and possibly themselves at a later date. While also playing the other side by selling Ukraine Baykar Bayraktar drones. I'd also be surprised if Turkey didn't also turn a blind eye to the Orc ships full of stolen Ukrainian grain that they let through on their way to the UAE and Syria and so on.

Post edited by cnocbui on

Diplomatic intervention has to happen. If the right people were involved, a ceasefire agreed and negotiations took place to find a roadmap towards a desired outcome I think a peaceful outcome could be found.

Things are probably too hot at the moment and it might need a change of personalities for it to happen but continued slaughter on both sides is not going to end this. It will likely require require a ‘nuclear’ event, excuse the phrase, such as the death of one of the presidents to force things to move into the diplomatic stage. In the short term the fighting is not likely to end but championing death and slaughter is just contributing to the delay in reaching a conflict ending solution in my view

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But lasting diplomatic solutions can only be achieved if the loss of men and equipment is so great they can never threaten the borders of Ukraine ever again.

Without that happening diplomatic solutions only last as long as the next madman decides he's going to finish the job putin couldn't.

I'm not a fan of diplomacy, but once ukraine has driven the Orc filth from all their lands, including of course Crimea, well then The Orcs can beg for mercy and the diplomats can talk terms.

• Advertisement

So beyond you wishing putin would die (as zelensky dying likely woudn't change much) what is the next most likely thing to bring about peace talks?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,423 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It's the Russian psyche to get pleasure from others pain. When you think of it that way it explains lots from the imperialism, the conquest of smaller nations, the boarish behaviour of expats abroad. Any of this cannot be done by one man.

What do you propose?Ukraine giving up the land they have fought for the last 9 years,so Russia can take bit by bit of Ukraine like they do in Georgia and Moldova,and keep the Ukrainan economy at bay by controlling eastern ukraine with a landbridge to Crimea,and bring back their Navy to Crimea to keep control of the shipping in and out of Ukraine once again?

There is only one choice for Ukraine,win to survive

A couple of things could trigger it, Ukrainian accession to the EU (unlikely), a change in US president next year, a shift in support away from Russia from its few remaining allies. A Ukrainian offensive could be another catalyst but it could also escalate matters if Russia or its allies respond with greater force.

How do you see things playing out?

Ukraine getting a squadron of F-15 strike eagles, a squadron of A-10s, and 6 of Australia's F-18 Growlers and a lot of containers full of expensive decorations to hang off them.

Absolutely we will be rejoicing,

Remember in Russia where they have relatives in Ukraine they celebrate the mass slaughter of Ukrainans,they celebrate whenever Russian media shows the latest missle strikes on ukraine.

Not only will we be rejoicing,the whole of Ukraine will be rejoicing, Poland, Moldova, Lithuania, Estonia,lativa Finland, Sweden and any other countries who have had to live under the spectre of a Russian attack or invasion of their sovereign territories

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Jesus, this place may have well been nuked. I don't think any place got this plastered since WW2. If you want an impression as to just how many rounds of explosives are being flung around, what would it take to do this to a town?

If somebody said this was a picture of Hiroshima you'd not dispute it. Crazy.

Tens of thousands at a minimum?

It's like what you expect to see in post apocalyptic movies, only we all know it's not a movie set,

Horrific to think Russia actually believes this is justified

• Advertisement

I posted a drone flight showing the destruction of poor Marinka, after seeing Ukrainians use tears emojis when it's mentioned and researching to find out why.

And fighting is still ongoing there, I believe.

How many rounds does it take to manage to hit every tree and bush and to eradicate everything green?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement