Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

tough to lose poor turnover at the end to give Derry the chance to attack for the winning point .We played better than I thought we would but lack of a goal is a worry CK had the chance to pass across that time but just settled for a point a goal then we would have won I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

Agreed That Ref gave us absolutely nothing some of the handiest frees given to derry I have ever seen. Marty showing his true colors ye can hear the glee in his voice when Dublin lose.

We will need to win in Navan now to keep control of promotion barring freak results tomorrow I think .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Can’t be relying on a ref to win these division 2 games if you have championship aspirations.

I know it’s the league but Dublin haven’t exactly been tearing up division 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Not winning anything major anytime soon with that Manager and the lads he's bringing through.

Two big names came off early for Dublin in second half with the game to be won and there replacements did nothing that's a major problem there we don't have the cover anymore.

It actually pains me to see a player as good as Con so wasted in most of our games lately. Look at the damage he can do when he's playing higher up the pitch yes he works hard for the team but it's such a waste and must be ridiculously frustrating for him as well.

It's early days we where worse this time last year but there's a serious lack of goals and general confident looking forward play in this squad now Jesus few years ago we where kicking scores with our eyes closed from all over the pitch! Not all the players are gone either ffs.

Sooner the better we get Mannion back in that team as well if he can come in and play to his abilitys be big boost. One way or another I've just no faith in Dessie and whatever way that team is being coached there's never been any clear direction since he's come in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Poor decision making in possession is killing us. Seems to be a trait of Dessie's reign as it was quite rare to see under Gavin

I think quite a lot of fans were expecting us to lose by a few points myself included so maybe some are overlooking a lot of the flaws today as the margin was only a point .I think when there is time to look back we will see quite a few issues especially in that second half when Dery came at us .Certainly some of our remaining greats are at the end of the road this year .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭PressRun

Gannon is a very handy footballer, lads.

Con struggling since the injury?

Con needs to be nearer the goal spends too much time playing deeper ,

• Registered Users Posts: 25,415 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

True… We need to rely on referees getting the basics right however. This wasn’t a judgement call. It was a colossal shîtshow by the ref. Timekeeping is an absolute basic, kids, parents, basically anyone with two eyes and a watch and a decent cognitive function can call 4 minutes and blow it up after 4. Can’t blame the sending off, it happened at the sideline and Fitzsimons more or less just walked and descent was minimal and not significant. What delay there was was in no small part to Derry players, harassing, jostling etc..… Issuing a red card is part of play, no law, rule or regulation to stop the watch or add on time to facilitate the momentary stoppage and card issuance… so where the hell did the extra minute and a half come from ? 😵‍💫 4 signalled and closer to 6 played ! Wtf is that about ? Around 45% more time added , just because ? What ?

beyond annoying the levels of refereeing and how the absolute plunge into the depths of endemic incompetence by them seems to be impacting the sport now, across the country….negatively. Pathetic. GAA ‘leadership’ need to get a handle on it…. If you can’t be trusted with such a basic as to manage time using a watch how the sweet fück can you be trusted to manage marginal calls, tough game changing decisions in one of the fastest, free flowing, all action sports on the planet…. ? Croke Park need a good shake as pertaining to this current lot of referees. It and they need sorting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This Derry loss has the same feeling of that Kerry loss in the AI SF -‘ The dubs lost but….’

Only difference is there were more positives with that Kerry loss. With this Derry loss and the way the game panned out feels like it was thrown away.

It will be very interesting if Dublin meet Derry again in the league final. To be honest I think that Derry midfield is the best duo in the country. And Dublin are only really a one man midfield.

Have to find a way to flood that middle of the pitch more. Would kill for a Shane Ryan, Homan, Bastick etc. Would a third midfielder be the answer instead?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

division two my arse tonight was a 3rd and 4th place play off of the all ireland series , plus nothing has changed , the standard of division one is actually quiet poor this year they are at least 4 teams if not 5 worse then derry and dublin at the moment

and yes i do think at least 3 fouls inside the dublin D area late in the second half were incredibly soft , as for tanning up division 2 , clare and cork dublins last two opponents were 1/4 finalists last year , where's the likes of monaghan , roscommon , tyrone , donegal were all out

i think cork will go close to upsetting kerry in munster this year , while no matter what clare do they will always be seen as a carlow or waterford of the football world , if kildare or meath had some of the lads we have at the moment half the country would be raving about them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

Howard has played in the middle previously. Or play Fenton and McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

100% agree ref Dessie , the man needs to go , he has had 3 years with this team and they are still playing like headless chickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Thats for sure about some of our remaining greats

• Registered Users Posts: 25,415 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Dublin are just too used maybe to having that 9/10 midfield and a couple of able replacements. Now…They have the best midfielder in the country in Fenton. Lahiff just isn’t as talented, a decent footballer, but he’s 28 and played relatively little football, inexperienced comparatively at this level and the inexperience tends to show occasionally.

McCarthy is 34 next birthday… had few injuries and super fit in general but the hustle and bustle of a championship midfield… played a lot of football, too. Looks after himself and always available, still is but that has its disadvantages….. a lot of miles on that clock….

McCarthy wouldn't have the legs for it these days at intercounty midfield. But I think bascially Fenton trying to do everything on his own is a disaster waiting to happen. Otherwise team has no solid platform IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Ye can blame the ref all you want but that lost is a typical Dessie defeat. The lad doesn't know what his team should be and it bloody well shows. Shambles from the sideline in them at second half and more of the same from a lad who still thinks he's managing U21 football.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

i see you just making excuses after excuses . Division 2 is not comparable with division 1. Clare and cork are not division 1 standard. Getting to the quarter final of the all ireland means little as far as I’m concerned.

Usually there is 3, maybe 4 quality teams that set the standard, with 2 possibly a bit out in their own. You get the odd team coming from nowhere (where form in league and/or early champo looks poor but they still get to final) but that’s what you are relying on with Dublin.

Theoretically Dublin could get a decent draw and make the semis or final without a tough match. Sure there’s nobody in Leinster so it’s really just QF and SF that we need things to click to make a final.

Dublin should of lost to clare last week, I was at the game, it was a complete smash and grab.I was at the Kildare loss in league last season aswell and for 50 mins of that Clare game it was the same lethargic , poor performance.

And the problem isn’t necessarily individual talent available , it’s lack of subs (or new talent) and Dessie who I have never been convinced about. You’ve also got an over reliance on players who have already won it all and are coming to the wrong age of where you want the most important players to be without any younger alternatives.

Refs have always been a bit dodgy against Dublin , even in the good times, but now that we need them to be better says it all for me. We NEED better refs because our team just isn’t that good anymore. We don’t even frighten Clare ffs. The margins in Dublins games are so much smaller then when we were top dogs.

Dublin pushed Kerry last year to the very end. I was at that game aswell, they just look like a team that’s trajectory is not going up and the best we can hope for is the last sting of a county and squad whose great success is behind them for the foreseeable future.

My first introductions to the dubs were at the meath draws in 1991, I’ve been around long enough to see the writing on the wall. Dublin will have a usual cake walk in Leinster and then a lot will depend on the draw. What you are looking for is form or things to click , that hasn’t really looked likely for a year or two. That can happen and maybe the return of some of the old guard will help but from what I’ve seen the last few years I think a Dublin win in august would be one of the more pleasantly surprising things to happen, maybe since 1995.

Out of curiosity, when was the last division 2 winner of the all ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I don't think there is much difference or any between Derry, Cork and Dublin and any Div 1 team. Cork have a nice team coming again.

I've seen Kerry, Armagh, Donegal, Tyrone, Monaghan play in Div 1 this league and wasn't impressed by any of them.

I'm not 100% sure but i think Galway won the All Ireland from Div 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Armagh in 2002.

Kerry were too so both finalists that year were division 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Where's Comerford and Paddy Small atm? Is Robert McDaid available these days? Has Mannion made any signs of been ready to feature again?

Can't find this info anywhere haha.

Jayus, I never would have gotten that Galway was going to be my guess.

Back of my mind when Dublin got relegated - my first thought was well in 1995 Dublin were relegated and won Sam? Could happen again....

Then sense prevailed and I said to meself goaway out of that was in 95!

That’s an interesting fact.

I did a €2 at 50-1 bet with one of my dads friends at half time of that 2002 final. I felt Armagh were still in it and he has written them off. He paid up aswell.

Kerry only 4 points ahead at ht and Armagh after missing a penalty in first half too.

50/1 was very generous odds even if it was against Kerry. Wonder what odds it would have been in bookies. Maybe 5/1 - 10/1 range? Nice one.

I was wondering as well what Dessie is going to do with Rock?

Outside of Leinster it is basically like the way 1970's Dublin used to have Jimmy Keaveney as a luxury, walking around the place. The last intercounty footballer I can think of (that used to wander around like that) and just nail frees was Cork's Colin Corkery. With the hill calling him a fat bastard.

It was very noticeable that Rock got no scores there yesterday. Contributed nothing in a game where you needed workrate and mobility. But then you are left with the problem who takes the frees? Costello? Mannion when he comes back?

It suddenly has the feel of 00's Dublin all over again. I seem to remember Paddy Christie taking frees against Westmeath when Dublin lost under Lyons. That really was desperation. The next thing we will have is some fella will be talk up as the 'new' free taker. I well remember how Wayne McCarthy from Erin's Isle was talked up as the next sharpshooter. The whole logic was that he used to help Charlie Redmond train!

How old is Mossy Quinn could he come out of retirement and do a better job than Rock? Now I really am scraping the barrel.

There was one time not so long ago where Dublin were that spoiled they had a right footed mobile freetaker and left footed mobile freetaker. That seems like another lifetime ago now already!

Now we are dependant on a static Rock who is becoming as immobile as his surname. Should Rock not just be training one of the younger lads on the panel with technique and so on? So Dublin are not left in the situation where they are in either a feast or famine when it comes to freetakers. Freetaking can be taught surely? Let a mobile fella do it.

Dean Rock is the best free taker i've ever seen. His scoring rate must be 90%+. When he was at his best he also chipped in with a few points from play. Think he scored 4 or 5 points from play in one of the finals v Mayo.

The problem now is he's no mobility, his scores from play have dried up and he couldn't tackle a Sunday roast.

At this stage i'd rather a 7/10 free taker who offers far more from play than Rock's 9/10 from placed balls.

He will be eaten alive from open play and i think it's time he was benched for good.

It is the nature of the collapse that gets me. Manager should be saying keep it tight lads etc at HT. I would deffo have brought on a third midfielder at HT. And that is not being wise after the event either the dogs in the street know Glass and Rodgers are key to Derry. But another body in there to prepare for the likely Derry onslaught.

Jim Gavin's Dublin collapsed once v Donegal. When grey haired Christie Toye came on and changed the game. Meanwhile Jim had Bastick getting splinters in his arse on the bench. But Jim learned his lesson. Does Dessie look like he will learn ANY of his?

As you say it is typical Dessie defeat. A small bit of pressure that the team folds. He doesn't make switches until it is way too late. The rate this is going most teams with any sort of organisational nous or fight in them will fancy a scalp of 'the dubs'. Feck sake Clare were damn unlucky not to get the win. Clare in Croke Park. It would have been their biggest win in football since the 1992 Munster win.

I remember watching Lochra Gael on TG4 it was some fella was outside Dublin basically saying that they knew that 00's Dublin would fold eventually in game under any sort of pressure. which annoyed me how blatant he was saying it. But he was spot on It is basically back to that now.

Exactly and Rock's technique is that good surely he should be giving classes to the u20 and minor lads, fringe panelists, development squads. Dublin basically have arguably the best freetaker of all time, you would be nearly marking down a score for him at any range before he hits it.

Let Dublin GAA have Rock do that pay him well for it job title and all - 'freetaking adviser' or something fancy.

• Advertisement

You can try and teach any free taker technique and all that goes with it and improve that player for sure but Rock was born with a natural gift for it that i've never seen in any other player and we'll be waiting a long time to get someone as gifted at place kicking as him again regardless of coaching.

Advertisement