Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Football League 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,653 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Watched the game did not see the first 15 minutes. There was two incidents in the first half one each that should have been a yellow card, hand to the neck and open hand to the face. Ref carded neither player as far as I could see.

Did not see any particular issue with the reffing from either side. Dublin probably getting caught for frees it would not have conceded a few years ago. Fitzsimmons lucky to last as long as he did. Derry unlucky not to have got two goals. Dublin failed to lock out the game with a five point lead at half time. Unusual for Rock to have missed both attempts at the 45.

Because Dublin fouled in the last break ref was always going to give Derry a shot at a score. Being watching enough game to know that extra time usually goes on a minute or two longe than stated.

Considering that Derry did not show up in the first half it was a bad loss for Dublin. If Derry played with the same intensity in the first half as the second they would have beat Dublin by 5-6 points.

Taught what I say of the first half was an insipid affair. Neither team would have won against any D1 team playing like that

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Thought that wasn’t even a foul myself. Armagh player took a dive and ref fell for it.

Slightly off topic but the GAA refs need a TMO to help them out. It’s ridiculous in this day and age that they are on their own trying to make these decisions when so much is going on on the pitch at any given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That was a great point from Rodgers at the end to win it for Derry. Took on the responsibility and nailed it. Dublin were faffing about wasting time and then a silly foul and red card(double yellow). Cost them in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This being the problem with referees, we know he did play extra to enable them with another opportunity….the only play related award or sanction for a foul is a free or penalty … nothing extra to be awarded on the clock….. However the GAA should change the rules if they believe it’s worthy of a greater ‘award’ than a free, …..more time on the clock and the opportunity to score and win 🤪 Ohhhh wait… they just need to put it in writing… 🥳. It’s happening already…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,384 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Rian O'Neill better than Jamie Clarke ever was

• Advertisement

I do not understand your problem it happens all the time. If you were ever at a match the announcer says ''at least'' that is because a referee gives the extra time allowances a out 2 minutes before the game ends.

As well there was a Derry substitution which add 20 seconds to the game. I will explain to you again Referees will ALWAYS give a team a chance after a foul to get a score. Otherwise teams would just continue fouling if outside the scoring zone to win a game.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The extra time is a minimum of whatever is added on, so should never be under that. Whatever is added beyond that minimum is particular to each game, not a sort of standard one or two minutes. In a close game one side will be using tactics to slow down play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭celt262

If it was the burns dive you are talking about he was well outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭dog_pig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

It’s thought. Your review is insightful, not. A mention of fours that were identical punished by a free if a Derry man committed them. But a response is what you’re looking for. Very childish,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,086 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

mayo's finest mr jarome henery , i wont go any further or i will get banned , the mountbellew lads remember him from a club game last year brings a very selective rule book to his games , must have serious contacts because he is terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Referees will ALWAYS give a team a chance after a foul to get a score

Which only compounds things when the ref is awarding fouls to one team all night but not the other. I don't believe Dublin would have gotten that extra minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

The Dubs can whinge all they like but the referee didn't lose to a team that kicked 2 points in the first half. The referee didn't throw away a 5 point lead the referee didn't fist the ball over the bar when there was a clear goal on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I agree with ya 100% it would be different if there was blatant major call changing a game. Any team whinging about the ref in general is only looking for excuses.

As a Dublin supporter back of my mind in CP if Dublin are struggling in a business end championship game I always hope the crowd can put pressure on the ref. That is what the Derry crowd did the last day, nothing against the rules in that. Plus not only that I also secretly hope in games that if there is a crucial 50/50 decision that the ref would be afraid to go against the Dubs and the crowd. That is sport that is football.

In my opinion for Dessie to throw away that lead is unforgivable. He should definitely thrown on a third midfielder at HT preparing for that Rodgers and Glass likely onslaught. You slow the game down, niggly fouls keep it bitty for the first few minutes of the second half anyway. It is what Derry would have done if they were 5 up!

I think that anyone moaning about the ref as the main reason Dublin lost is looking for a scapegoat, and lets Dessie off the hook.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

You really believe that if, for example, Con was bearing down on goal for a winner and was dragged down, the ref would say “free in, red card, but sorry lads, no time to take the free -drawn game “ ?

come on now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I think Dessie, the ref and ciaran Kilkenny being an idiot all played into the Derry win. As well as Derry just being a quality team now with a quality manager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

It's always the same. Any county whether football or hurling loses a tight game or any game for that matter and you'll get some posters from that county blaming the referee. It never changes. And never will. I often think to myself those same posters if they were from the winning county would more than likely be defending the referee's performance. Some people/posters are able to see past this blind loyalty but it is the exception to the norm.

The one I think of that made me laugh because if it was on the other side of things I would have been raging.

The foul given on Bernard Brogan against Kildare in that Leinster Final. By the letter of the law it was a free, but most refs would have let it go.

Derry are some team alright, they have the system and they all know it well. Does anyone know Dublin's system or do they even have one??

A joke of a decision. We got a couple of big decisions in All Ire finals too. I remember Kev McMenamin taking out Bryan Sheehan late on v Kerry when we were a point ahead i think. And Bastick picked the ball straight off the ground late on v Mayo when we were level when we would have lost if the referee gave the close in free. I don't bother referee bashing as you win some and you lose some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

But I'm not from Dublin and couldn't really care less about the result of a division 2 match.

Am I not allowed to comment on what is in front of my own eyes without some lazy accusation of being a dub?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭PressRun

Shane Ryan running the full spectrum of goalkeeping performances here lol let's in an atrocious own goal but also makes two vital saves when Tyrone were through on goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

Just watched Sean O'Se make a high tackle around a Tyrone player's head with a fair bit of physicality in it. Scuffle after and 2 yellow cards to Tyrone players and Seanie gets yellow. That BS sickens me about GAA. And I'm totally from a GAA background. Where other codes are outlawing that type of tackle easy way out GAA with their yellows. I'm not anti Seanie or any county but that was a red in my book. No attempt to make a proper tackle. It's a real boll*x of an amateur organisation so many times. Like Kilmacud and Glen. Shower of cute hoor cowards at so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

He could have got another yellow card for ripping the jersey.

David Clifford wins a ball is fouled about 3 times even though he is playing the ball all the time and finally hauled to the ground. Free out to Tyrone

Slava Ukrainii

kerry will win this. Tyrone are gassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭munster87

The ref was very poor, may as well be wearing red and white.

• Advertisement

If Tyrone were more efficent in front of posts would won by more.

Advertisement