Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value Iphone for someone who doesn't really care?

• 05-03-2023 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,613 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hi all. OH has an iphone 8 plus. She'd use it forever if she could, but hardware is beginning to fail, the camera and flash broke etc.

I think she'd happily buy a refurbed iphone 8 plus. But I can't see them for much less than 250e anywhere, that feels like a lot for a 7 generation old phone - and I'd worry about things she might need soon like esim compatibility and security updates etc. I'm android through and through, so don't really know the considerations.

So where is the sweet spot for value for someone who wants a good iphone? She's happy with a refurb. I don't think she even needs more than 128gb. She'd spend up to 800 - but I think she'd probably be able to spend less and be happy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Glaceon

The 3rd generation iPhone SE might be an option. Same form factor as the older iPhones but newer hardware and supports eSIMs. The only problem is that it's based on the shell of the iPhone 8 so the screen size might feel like a downgrade compared to an 8 Plus. Alternatively the iPhone 13 mini but this is at the top end of the budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

The 8 & 8 plus are due to stop getting iOS updates as soon as iOS 17 is released sometime this year.

If I were her I'd probably go for an iPhone 13 128gb which she could easily pick up new on Adverts for less than €800.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

SE has about 2/3 the battery of a iphone 8 plus.

There's no good value iphones they are premium phones. It's like asking what's the best value Rolls Royce.

What phone plan is she currently on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,613 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Gomo 10er a month. But we're likely to leave Ireland soon enough so we want to future proof that.

There is definitely a value curve within iphones (just like with other luxury products like executive cars). Usually the best value is the highest spec model of the newest phone that no longer holds any desirability premium. Or a model that was particularly good compared to the one before and wasn't hugely outshone by the one after.

Or effectively this. If you go too new they still look shiny and great and people who care about new features (like me, but not her) will pay more than those features are worth to have them.

If you go too old they close in on a natural floor value that is somewhere close to the sum of their spare parts and models that are even years apart in release converge in value.

Between too old and too new there is a "just right" the phone has all the features you need, and will be supported for a few more years. But you're not competing with luxury buyers to get it.

You can't argue "no longer holds any desirability premium" while saying the oldest one is too expensive.

Considering the high value of used iPhones I don't think they drop in value as much other phones or luxury cars.

In that context I think you can make an argument for any generation of iPhone. Just decide your budget. Which you have done. Just buy the best spec you can fit that money. Cushtie says 13/128

• Advertisement

I'm clearly not doing a good job of explaining what I think a desirability premium is - but maybe this helps. This is the new price of amazon of the base (not mini, not pro) 128gb version of the last 4 generations. Now, why is there a 150 sterling difference between 11 and 12, and only a 50 sterling difference between 12 and 13 - intuitively you'd expect a larger gap between newer models, but that is not the case. For me it seems obvious that the 11 is now considered "very old" and most people who place value on the "image" of a new phone, won't buy it. This happens when products like this approach their "true value". Then they sit in this sweet spot for a while, and then they enter a phase where they are so rare, and so close to the sum of their parts value they become effectively overvalued again.

Now, I can answer the question "what is the most modern highest spec Iphone I can get for 800" pretty easily. I can also look at the data and say to myself "it appears the sweet spot would be an Iphone 11 Pro which I can get renewed, 256gb from Amazon for 456 Sterling". But what I don't know is if there is some specific reason issue with those models that means they're discounted now - for example, maybe certain models have battery swelling, or camera issues, or just happened to be the last model of a certain generation of chassis, and the step up is worth it for the next model. Etc etc etc.

IMO Due to Apples policy of not making huge changes between versions it means there isn't a huge difference in prices in newer models. But there is as they get closer to cut off from updates. Also as they are expensive people retain them longer. Meaning they make big jumps when they upgrade.

We generally buy cheapest iPhone we can as a company phone. We recently switched to the iPhone 11 as our "corporate phone". Primary because the updates (security) schedule. We are taking in any iPhones older than that and replacing them with the 11.

From what I see with people I know, the 11 new and used has become the model people give their kids or partners The SEs aren't that popular. The 11 upwards all look the same to many people, if that's something they are looking for.

The other group of iPhone users (that I know) all jump to the latest model 14. It's their primary device, and they get good resale on older iPhone if it's recent.

I don't think most do not know about a issues like batteries etc. They just get the latest one they can afford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,122 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You’d be as well off to go for the iPhone 11 Pro Max if your OH prefers the screen size of the 8 Plus she has already. It’s due to get updates for the next couple of years. It’s eSIM compatible but doesn’t have the 5G, neither of which I’d be too concerned about for a while yet as neither technology is so widely available that it’d be worth upgrading to the 12 to get it yet.

You could save yourself a few quid, and not having the 5G means something of a trade-off for better battery life, which is handy with the bigger screen than the 11. They go for about €500 for the 64GB models, about €50 more for the 128GB models. They also don’t have the boxy shape of the 12 models on, still have the same sort of curved design as the 8 Plus if that’s important.

Great feedback. Thanks lads. Battery life beats 5g every day for me nevermind her. So I'll take that advice.

• Advertisement

• Whether the iphone 8 will get ios 17 or not won't be confirmed till the preview due sometime in June. Some sources saying it won't get it, others saying maybe it will.

Advertisement