Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Influencers are taking over the world at the moment so we have to ride it out. I'm curious to know what the next decade will bring? I always loved that 80s women's hairstyle. I hope that makes a comeback.

I cant remember if you've mentioned this one before?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I think there’s a happy medium between a tracksuit and being overly done. Casual clothes don’t have to mean tracksuits and a lot of women look really bad in leggings. Jeans (not the skinny kind) are my tracksuit/leggings and a woolly jumper is my hoodie. I wear heels when I’m the office and out for dinner etc, I’m perfectly able to walk in them.

I do wear make up, but not a lot so most men don’t notice I’m wearing any and the make up I wear for a night out is the same. Never had my nails done, had my make up done once for a wedding but it was so hideous I never did it again. I’ve never tried fake tan either.

Agree the Botox and fillers on women in their twenties is a sad sight to see. Is that the age group you are focusing on breezy? I can’t remember if you’ve mentioned your age in the thread.

Yeah which one is the one that got away? Just go right unless you want her to see (likes come through on free hinge account)

Agree, the guy should be dressed nicely for the date also. If somebody showed up for a date in a tracksuit he wouldn’t be getting a second!

Wait, that did actually happen one time, I’d forgotten about that. He was also talking about how he was wondering what his mother was making him for him lunch 🤮 (he was early 40s)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Those ridiculous long eyelash yokes are a huge turnoff.

Also, high heals. I'm still impressed with so few women not in casts due to broken ankles. Fair play to their balance! I'm more think though "why do that to yourself? " can't be comfortable.

Does your fiancé exclusively wear flats, what about for the wedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Can’t stand heavy makeup and false eyelashes but sadly it seems to be a prominent part in Irish/ British culture. It’s like you are going on a date with a clown.

@[Deleted User] swipe right if you would give it another chance, swipe left if it’s out of the question for you. Don’t overthink it

@laoisgem I’ll teach you how to talk to them. Will book you in for 1:1s like gameoverdude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Depends on the shoe. I’ve a few pairs with a lowish heel height of around 3” and a hidden platform. Can wear them all day and I feel fabulous in them. But those cheap stilettos from penneys and the like…. They’ll destroy your feet in about 2 hours.

Anything you have to stick on with glue is a big no-no.

Fake tan. Eeeugh

Suck-in pants. Oh my god get those things away from me. I’ll let my bits jiggle around rather than truss myself up like a chicken thanks

But I love being a woman and all the ‘trappings’ that come with it. Wouldn’t swap for any amount of money. It’s so much fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Don't recall you mentioning her before, would love to know more 😊

Just to echo what's been said already and slightly expand:- If you swipe left , you might regret it. If you swipe right, nothing may happen and you loose nothing.

On a slightly related note, I remember when I came across my ex on Tinder. The one I was so lucky that I got away from. It was the strangest thing ever. I'd seen her friends profile the day before, her friend must have screenshot mine and sent it on to her. She appeared the next day on bumble as "new here" and in my Tinder feed. Her profile text was an exact copy of mine, literally word for word. She even included a couple of photos with my kids in the background. I can tell you it messed with my head and I nearly deleted my accounts as a result.

I'm glad I didn't 🙂. I stayed over last night at my dates house for the first time....... All I can say is yoga is amazing 🤣

• Advertisement

Yep.

I'll have runners in my bag for after the ceremony!

Ah ya have to go right IMO. If my OTGA was on there I’d get a friction burn on my thumb swiping right !

Assuming they don’t have a restraining order against you of course…. Then it’s left left left.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

OTGA

My vocabulary is expanfing no end reading this thread...

😂 I don’t think it’s an official term. I was just acronyming the post I quoted. One That Got Away.

I kind of envy people that don’t have one of these. It’s a form of self torture that leads only to wistful sunset gazing, cringy playlists and self indulgent romcom marathons. It’s a horrible affliction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

As a woman I 100% agree. Can't stand all the fake bits and heavy make up you have to take off with a trowel.

The time and financial commitment alone is eye watering. My daughter is 27 and starts getting ready to go out at 9 around 4 o’clock. I could watch a movie, get two wash loads done and walk the dog in that time. And still have an hour to get ready!

“This is why you’ll never move out and get a place of your own” I say. Cue eye rolls and “oh mothers”

Got to admire their determination. The thoughts of spending that amount of time just to get ready would be enough to turn me off going out altogether. If they actually sat down and thought about it they'd realise its a bit overboard just for a chat and few drinks but that'll come with age. Takes me half an hour to get ready and hit the road. Shower, shave and change of clothes...boom done

I think with that age group its not even about looking good for the few drinks. It's all about how it looks on Insta. Every night out ends up with a load of pics and tags and stories. And every birthday those pics get re-shared in a montage of acrylic and nylon by a well meaning friend. Must be exhausting.

One day she'll not care a jot though and will find a liberating and carefree existence. We've all been through it.

Mine was a can of Studio Line Mousse, blue mascara and lashings of Heather Shimmer lipstick every week. I'm not sure if that's better or worse. But at least there are no pics to haunt me.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Goodigal

I honestly don't understand the time and effort it takes younger women to get ready. I remember going to a hen weekend 4 years ago. As a mid 40s woman, had my little make up bag and few brushes etc. The younger crew had an entire suitcase (practically!) of make up palettes, rolled out bags of brushes etc. I couldn't get over it!! 😂 They took FOREVER to get ready!

Am happy to have missed this phase of life! No eyelashes or fake tan or nails done here. I still look presentable on a night out though. But haven't lost a day of my life getting ready!!

• Advertisement

Wow - that’s some time commitment 😊

I did work with a girl years ago who was in her early 20s and spent 3 hours each morning getting ready for work. Jeez, life’s too short!

Had a nice walk today with somebody I dated two years ago for about 6 weeks. I’ve kept in touch and are friends with a lot of people I’ve dated, and made 2 really good friends for life - both from bumble.

I've a couple of new friends from online dating too. Ya can never have too many of those in my book. Guys that I don't see regularly but we catch up over coffee or a pint. A few text messages when you have something worth texting about. In fact I think that's my fave thing about OD. The friendships I've formed.

If you get nothing else out of it, having someone to go on a platonic date with when you want male company, without any agenda, is kinda cool.

Awh that's nice to hear. I never understood the whole can't be friends after dating thing.

I suppose in some cases there’s a bad break up involved and one party is either bitter or traumatised.

It deffo is 😊

And always a good sign if a guy has both male and female friends

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

No wouldnt happen. They would think you are a scammer or something

🤣 anyone who looks like that on a first date should be brought to the circus.

Did you get your revenge?

• Advertisement

That just wouldn’t happen. If it did, I’d assume he’d made the money from drug dealing.

Also white cars are a bit tacky, though totally forgivable if everything else was right.

And if he didn’t, still wouldn't date him. Tracksuits are for exercise. And lounging around the house or cleaning the house.

Advertisement